51% sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bubba
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bubba »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
carlson1 wrote: I am a Baptist Pastor and I was told in Bible college the difference between the Methodist and the Baptist was the Methodist would speak to you at the liquor store. :lol:
That and we Baptists can't drink in public.

Chas.
When dancing and drinking in public, should we wear a shoulder holster rig or regular belt holster ? LOL
:)

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up !

John

Post by John »

Can anyone point me to a site that shows examples of the proper/improper signage? I stopped at a liquor store on HWY 6 in S.L. yesterday and they had a sign that said something to the effect of "The Licensed or Unlicensed possession of a handgun..... Felony...."...blah blah....

I promptly left and went somewhere else to purchase the holiday spirits. That sign cost him close to 100 bucks in overpriced sales. :roll:
JohnC

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

John wrote:Can anyone point me to a site that shows examples of the proper/improper signage? I stopped at a liquor store on HWY 6 in S.L. yesterday and they had a sign that said something to the effect of "The Licensed or Unlicensed possession of a handgun..... Felony...."...blah blah....

I promptly left and went somewhere else to purchase the holiday spirits. That sign cost him close to 100 bucks in overpriced sales. :roll:
John,

Some stores still have the old signs. Here is the breakdown.

A placed licensed for the sale of alcohol for off premise consumption is NOT off limits to a chl holder unless they post the 30.06 sign. It is not the 51% SIGN that really matters, but whether or not the sell for ON or OFF premise cosumption.

If the place sells beer, wine or alcohol that you can buy and leave with, it is for off-premise consumption. They will most likely have a sign on the parking lot side of the building that says that the consumption of beer or alcohol or these premises is a misdemeanor. MOST will have a sign that states that the UNlicensed possession of a handgun is a felony.

The TABC requires a place that derives 51% or more of its income for the sale of alcohol for on premise consumption post the 51% sign. unfortunately it is not a defense for you if the sign is not posted. What we have mostly seen is places that are not actually 51% posting the sign anyway.

51% does not apply to a place licensed for off premise consumption. These include beer/wine stores, liquor stores (commonly caled ackage stores) convenience stores that sell beer/liquor, etc.

If you have any other questions I'll try to help more.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Bubba wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
carlson1 wrote: I am a Baptist Pastor and I was told in Bible college the difference between the Methodist and the Baptist was the Methodist would speak to you at the liquor store. :lol:
That and we Baptists can't drink in public.

Chas.
When dancing and drinking in public, should we wear a shoulder holster rig or regular belt holster ? LOL

Sorry, couldn't pass that one up !

I went dancing a while back, and during a fast dance my wife poointed out that every time I moved a certain way, the gun in my pocket was very evident, for what it was too.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”