Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 588
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#271

Post by OneGun » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Deltaboy wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm
The State needs to restore financial oversight over the State Colleges cause it out of control! :tiphat:

Teaching Liberalism with other people's money is expensive!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 17192
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#272

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Here is a link to the oral arguments today in the 5th Circuit. http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/OralArgReco ... 1-2018.mp3

Chas.
Image


DanD
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#273

Post by DanD » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Thank you Chas for posting the link. I ended up listening to it twice. Very interesting hearing the arguments on both sides of this case. It seems like the central part of the plaintiff's argument is that they have standing because they have a fear of the actions of a third party. If this argument is found to be upheld it seems like the floodgates would be open to all sorts of lawsuits against the government because of fears of something someone might, possibly, maybe do.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

User avatar

J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#274

Post by J.R.@A&M » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm
Here is a link to the oral arguments today in the 5th Circuit. http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/OralArgReco ... 1-2018.mp3

Chas.
I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 8353
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#275

Post by Abraham » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

"I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

Sounds like a lame anti-fa retort...

User avatar

spectre
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#276

Post by spectre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Abraham wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm
"I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

Sounds like a lame anti-fa retort...
I'm sure they agree cops shouldn't carry guns within 1000' of an antifa rally because the effect it has chilling of free speech.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it
and a moral code that glorifies it. - Frédéric Bastiat


BSHII
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#277

Post by BSHII » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

Has anyone ever found a link to the appellants’ brief? For some reason I can’t log into the 5th Circuit PACER.

Guns and the Second Amendment are almost a side issue in this case. What is more interesting is that the professors appear to take the position that the Constitution affords them a personal, unalienable right to: be the emperors of “their” classrooms (meaning, the classrooms in which the State pays them to teach); to exercise unchecked plenary power over their students; and to exercise authority superior to the Legislature’s in setting educational policy in a State university.

That we have a faction in this country that actually thinks this way is what is truly dangerous.


BSHII
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu May 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#278

Post by BSHII » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

spectre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm
Abraham wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm
"I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

Sounds like a lame anti-fa retort...
I'm sure they agree cops shouldn't carry guns within 1000' of an antifa rally because the effect it has chilling of free speech.
I don’t know about that. Show up at an antifa rally and start doing something that makes them uncomfortable, and watch how fast they scream for the cops.

User avatar

spectre
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#279

Post by spectre » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:13 pm

BSHII wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm
spectre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm
Abraham wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm
"I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

Sounds like a lame anti-fa retort...
I'm sure they agree cops shouldn't carry guns within 1000' of an antifa rally because the effect it has chilling of free speech.
I don’t know about that. Show up at an antifa rally and start doing something that makes them uncomfortable, and watch how fast they scream for the cops.
The professors and antifa are in the same boat. Free speech must be protected but only when it agrees with them.

I never figured out how concealed guns have a chilling effect on free speech. Maybe because I don't have a PhD. :confused5
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society,
over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it
and a moral code that glorifies it. - Frédéric Bastiat

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#280

Post by Pawpaw » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 pm

spectre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:13 pm
BSHII wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm
spectre wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm
Abraham wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm
"I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

Sounds like a lame anti-fa retort...
I'm sure they agree cops shouldn't carry guns within 1000' of an antifa rally because the effect it has chilling of free speech.
I don’t know about that. Show up at an antifa rally and start doing something that makes them uncomfortable, and watch how fast they scream for the cops.
The professors and antifa are in the same boat. Free speech must be protected but only when it agrees with them.

I never figured out how concealed guns have a chilling effect on free speech. Maybe because I don't have a PhD. :confused5
It's easy for PANSIES (People Always Nauseatingly Scared In Every Situation).
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

bigtek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#281

Post by bigtek » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:46 pm

It makes me want to sue UT for letting village idiots teach college classes and soak the taxpayers for it to boot.
Image

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 6519
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#282

Post by ELB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm

USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

bigtek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#283

Post by bigtek » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Can they be fired for making a frivolous lawsuit against their employer? If not, can the legislature cut off taxpayer funding for their salaries?
Image


Boxerrider
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#284

Post by Boxerrider » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 am

bigtek wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Can they be fired for making a frivolous lawsuit against their employer? If not, can the legislature cut off taxpayer funding for their salaries?
Can they be, maybe, but if the boss doesn't like campus carry either. . .


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#285

Post by Ruark » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:52 pm

ELB wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm
They lose again:

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/08/17/fi ... tional-cha
Three professors from the University of Texas at Austin challenged a Texas law permitting the concealed carry of handguns on campus
It's notable how widespread the perception is that the "campus carry" concept refers to carrying in institutional buildings, not "on campus." Of course, it's difficult to imagine why somebody would go on a campus without entering any of the buildings, but still, the misunderstanding is everywhere. Licensed carriers have been carrying "on campus" for years.

Another component of the discussion that is seldom acknowledged is that to have an LTC you have to be at least 21 years old, which precludes at least 65% of the undergraduates, and probably a much higher percentage of freshmen and sophomores. So they're off the list. About 10% of the students are from other states; it's unlikely that they're concealed carrying under a reciprocity provision. Another 10% are from other countries; same with them.
-Ruark

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”