Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Abraham wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:55 pm Were I have to children in the college age, I would recommend some Christian college and I'm not a Christian.

Get away from commie based ideology based schools.
It plagues all schools, Public, Private and Christian alike. Or did you not notice that EVERY SINGLE PRIVATE SCHOOL (Except for one lonely trade school) opted out of the campus carry law.

Having obtained my bachelor's in December 2015 from a private, christian university- I can promise you the liberal mindset pervades every nook and cranny of higher education. Woe to you if you disagree with them... :roll:

Unfortunate, but true.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Liberalism is the philosophy of the terminally stupid.

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OneGun »

I find it humorous that the Professors' arguments is that campus carry inhibits free speech. I didn't think there was free speech in the classrooms. Just the Professors' ideology is taught to a captive audience..
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

ELB
Posts in topic: 23

Post by ELB »

OneGun wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm I find it humorous that the Professors' arguments is that campus carry inhibits free speech. I didn't think there was free speech in the classrooms. Just the Professors' ideology is taught to a captive audience..
It would be interesting if there were a reliable way to measure how many students felt their ability to speak their minds in class was inhibited by

a) some LTC holder might be armed!

or

b) the professor might retaliate.

I'll bet I know which happens more often.
USAF 1982-2005

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Texas Baptist Colleges were told by BGTC Legal Counsel that any accidents would open the schools to lawsuits and loss of insurance!
This was also pushed by Insurance companies! :tiphat:

My daughter starts her Jr Year at a fine Baptist College . I had a long visit with the President and a member of the BOT that attends our church! :banghead:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Lynyrd wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 am An appeal of this case is being heard Wednesday by a panel of judges on the 5th Circuit Ct. of Appeals. http://tpr.org/post/us-5th-circuit-set- ... -carry-law
Renae Hicks, who represents UT Austin sociology professor Jennifer Glass, appealed that ruling to the U.S. 5th Circuit Court.
Just a question. How much does a sociologist make? :biggrinjester:
According to the Texas Tribune salary database, this particular sociologist makes $220,817 annually. I am guessing that makes her a fairly senior tenured professor.
Steve Rothstein

apostate

Post by apostate »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm
J.R.@A&M wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 am An appeal of this case is being heard Wednesday by a panel of judges on the 5th Circuit Ct. of Appeals. http://tpr.org/post/us-5th-circuit-set- ... -carry-law
Renae Hicks, who represents UT Austin sociology professor Jennifer Glass, appealed that ruling to the U.S. 5th Circuit Court.
According to the Texas Tribune salary database, this particular sociologist makes $220,817 annually. I am guessing that makes her a fairly senior tenured professor.
If the courts rule in favor of civil rights, I hope the taxpayers get reimbursed for the money wasted on this frivolous stunt. The nutty professors' inflated salaries should be docked for every penny.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Jusme »

My question to these idiots, has always been, what kept guns out of their classrooms before campus carry took effect? If they answered, the law, I would then want to know, if they believed, only law abiding citizens, would suddenly, began shooting professors over opinions?
These same students, who followed the law, by not bringing guns to class (and that is only conjecture, since there is no proof) will obviously continue to follow, the law, and not shoot professors over differing opinions.
Time is against these litigants, since it has been almost two years since the law went into effect, and there has not been one incident, at any Texas university, where an LTC holder, has shot, or even threaten to shoot a professor.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

srothstein wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:11 pm
As an aside, I can't imagine why education is so expensive these days....
Psalm 91:2

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Not all college professors are liberal. Larry Bell is a conservative and shoots his 1911 very well.

He writes for Newsmax in his spare time.

https://www.newsmax.com/larrybell/c02-p ... id/868073/

Clemency for carbon is this link.

ELB
Posts in topic: 23

Post by ELB »

SQLGeek wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am As an aside, I can't imagine why education is so expensive these days....
Her salary is probably low compared to the administration salaries. Under the reign of the previous Speaker of the House, there seemed to be no effective legislative check on how the state universities spend their money, or what nonsense they choose to indoctrinate students with. It was a miracle, and measure of licensed carry's support in the rest of the Legislature, that campus carry made it through at all.

ETA: There is an article today in the Stateman, since the 5th Circuit hearing it today, but the article doesn't present anything new:

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/state- ... eJsgOzmlO/

ETA2: It appears the hearing did happen today, and now the wait for what the three-judge panel decides.
https://wtop.com/education/2018/07/the- ... arry-case/
USAF 1982-2005

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Look at the geometric growth of university administrations since just the early 90s.

I remembered reading this a couple of years ago and dug it back up:

"Even more strikingly, an analysis by a professor at California Polytechnic University, Pomona, found that, while the total number of full-time faculty members in the C.S.U. system grew from 11,614 to 12,019 between 1975 and 2008, the total number of administrators grew from 3,800 to 12,183 — a 221 percent increase."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/opin ... -much.html

"University of Texas System exploded between 2011 and 2017...grew 64 percent, hitting the mark of 923 administrative employees in 2017, according to records."

https://texasmonitor.org/university-of- ... l-tuition/

:banghead:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

The State needs to restore financial oversight over the State Colleges cause it out of control! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

SQLGeek wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:30 am As an aside, I can't imagine why education is so expensive these days....
This isn’t caused by the liberal or leftist propoganda, but rather the multigeneration brainwashing that you are nothing without a degree. Coupled with government backing on student loans.

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

DevilDawg wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 pm
This isn’t caused by the liberal or leftist propoganda, but rather the multigeneration brainwashing that you are nothing without a degree. Coupled with government backing on student loans.
Not all degrees are created equal.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”