Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#226

Post by Papa_Tiger » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:46 am

Any updates on this? It is after the 12th and I haven't seen or heard anything yet.

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 6405
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#227

Post by ELB » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 am

Papa_Tiger wrote:Any updates on this? It is after the 12th and I haven't seen or heard anything yet.
I think the longer it sits on the docket without anything being done and concealed carry being allowed on campus with nothing happening, the harder it is going to be for anyone to seriously argue that it is a problem. It would behoove people on the scene, e.g. SCC, to document that various classes held various discussions without any apparent problem. I am suspicious of Judge Yeakel, but given his denial of the temporary injunction because the plaintiffs were unlikely to succeed, I think he is unlikely to grant a permanent one, but if he does no doubt the AG and UT will appeal immediately.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#228

Post by dlh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:18 am

Does anybody have a link to the new Motion to Dismiss that was due by September 12'th?
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

User avatar

TexasTornado
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#229

Post by TexasTornado » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:08 pm

I've searched the Google high and low... only place I've found the documents you must pay for a subscription :banghead:

I can tell you though that it was filed on 9/12. Document 64 & 65 both appear to be motions to dismiss.
Image
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#230

Post by TexasJohnBoy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:45 pm

TexasTornado wrote:I've searched the Google high and low... only place I've found the documents you must pay for a subscription :banghead:

I can tell you though that it was filed on 9/12. Document 64 & 65 both appear to be motions to dismiss.
How in the world can they charge for it? Aren't these kinds of documents the essence of public domain?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 6405
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#231

Post by ELB » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 am

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:I've searched the Google high and low... only place I've found the documents you must pay for a subscription :banghead:

I can tell you though that it was filed on 9/12. Document 64 & 65 both appear to be motions to dismiss.
How in the world can they charge for it? Aren't these kinds of documents the essence of public domain?
If someone goes to the trouble of uploading a public document and providing the means for you to access it, they can charge for their trouble, e.g. a newspaper website. LexisNexis is full of public domain documents, but they charge for the added-value services of sophisticated searching, storage of the documents, etc. Even if you go directly to the court administrators/clerks, wouldn't surprise me if there is a fee for finding and copying the documents. TANSTAAFL.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


Papa_Tiger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#232

Post by Papa_Tiger » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:54 am

More fodder for the lawsuit:

http://highered.blog.statesman.com/2016 ... d-for-him/

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo ... m-referral

I wonder who it was who placed the casings? Someone for campus carry or someone opposed trying to fan the flames of dissent?

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 3868
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#233

Post by bblhd672 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:11 am

Papa_Tiger wrote:More fodder for the lawsuit:

http://highered.blog.statesman.com/2016 ... d-for-him/

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo ... m-referral

I wonder who it was who placed the casings? Someone for campus carry or someone opposed trying to fan the flames of dissent?
My bet would be on the "honorable" opposition. Seems very suspicious that one professor found two of the casings. On a side note what does a "rhetoric professor" teach?

As far as the liberal activist and the singer/songwriter - I'm glad they cancelled. The less liberals on campus indoctrinating instead of educating the better.

User avatar

JALLEN
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 10
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm
Location: Comal County

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#234

Post by JALLEN » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 am

There is a system maintained by the Federal courts for access to all court filed documents, called PACR. You register, give a deposit and they bill monthly. Less than $10 a month, no charge. It gives access to all Federal courts. IIRC, it's 10 cents a page to download. I used to use it all the time before I retired.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 18
Posts: 4395
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#235

Post by Jusme » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:48 am

bblhd672 wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:More fodder for the lawsuit:

http://highered.blog.statesman.com/2016 ... d-for-him/

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo ... m-referral

I wonder who it was who placed the casings? Someone for campus carry or someone opposed trying to fan the flames of dissent?
My bet would be on the "honorable" opposition. Seems very suspicious that one professor found two of the casings. On a side note what does a "rhetoric professor" teach?

As far as the liberal activist and the singer/songwriter - I'm glad they cancelled. The less liberals on campus indoctrinating instead of educating the better.


:iagree:

One "Rhetoric" professor finds 2 shell casings? She must really have an eye for those things! :confused5
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 8422
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#236

Post by mojo84 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:22 am

I have decided to start sending Charles' analysis regarding the comparison of LTC holders to the general population to the authors of articles and blog posts that are anti-gun or anti-campus carry. download/file.php?id=7163

Instead of arguing, let the facts speak for themselves.


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#237

Post by dlh » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:24 am

JALLEN wrote:There is a system maintained by the Federal courts for access to all court filed documents, called PACR. You register, give a deposit and they bill monthly. Less than $10 a month, no charge. It gives access to all Federal courts. IIRC, it's 10 cents a page to download. I used to use it all the time before I retired.
It is interesting to note which courts charge and which do not for court-filed documents. The Texas Supreme Court, Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, and Texas Appellate Courts do not charge for their opinions or filed briefs to my knowledge. They are freely accessible on-line. Same with the United States Supreme Court. Trial courts appear to be another animal--most appear to charge whether at the federal or state level. Would be nice if none of the courts charged so retired dudes like me on a fixed income can access various documents and study them. :cool:
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 6405
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#238

Post by ELB » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:31 am

bblhd672 wrote: ...
My bet would be on the "honorable" opposition. Seems very suspicious that one professor found two of the casings. On a side note what does a "rhetoric professor" teach?
.
I would not be surprised to find the casings were planted by an anti. Common tactic by the left on campuses across the use -- spraypaint racial insults on your own door, then call the cops and facebook and complain about 'racism' on campus.

Rhetoric is the art of speaking and writing persuasively. It was once an essential part of a classical liberal education, but I expect that like most subjects on campus, has been bowdlerized into Marxist diatribes.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

TexasTornado
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 23
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#239

Post by TexasTornado » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:34 am

Jusme wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:More fodder for the lawsuit:

http://highered.blog.statesman.com/2016 ... d-for-him/

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/lo ... m-referral

I wonder who it was who placed the casings? Someone for campus carry or someone opposed trying to fan the flames of dissent?
My bet would be on the "honorable" opposition. Seems very suspicious that one professor found two of the casings. On a side note what does a "rhetoric professor" teach?

As far as the liberal activist and the singer/songwriter - I'm glad they cancelled. The less liberals on campus indoctrinating instead of educating the better.


:iagree:

One "Rhetoric" professor finds 2 shell casings? She must really have an eye for those things! :confused5

So what...she found casings. That means absolutely nothing. Maybe someone had them to make jewelry or some mixed media art project...just saying.
Image
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

User avatar

LucasMcCain
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 619
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

#240

Post by LucasMcCain » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:07 pm

I like some of Ray LaMontagne's music, but after that statement he won't be getting any more of my money.

It smells a little of a deliberate setup, but it could also be a pro 2A student just trying to get a rise out of the liberals. While I can certainly understand that mindset, it's really not appropriate at this time. We need campus carry to be as much of a non-event as open carry has been.
I carry a gun so that I can go home to my family, and if need be, help you go home to yours.

I am not a lawyer.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”