Imprinting?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
shaker67
Posts in topic: 2

Imprinting?

Post by shaker67 »

Hi, I got my chl mid last year, my question is if u carry concealed can u get in trouble for imprinting thru a tshirt?
I've been told yes and no, just wanted to clarify. :thumbs2: thx..

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Imprinting?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Generally no, assuming you can lawfully carry concealed at that location. Also, if you are in a 30.07 posted location, and they notice your gun, you may get effective verbal notice which would then require you to leave.

From my experience, most people are not able to identify a concealed handgun even when you are printing pretty badly. My wife notices mine, but only because she is specifically looking for it. And she has failed to notice the person sitting on a stool next to her for an hour who was printing extremely (this was not at a bar).

Heck, I'd say at least half the people you walk by in a store or other location would not even notice if you were open carrying.

Short answer - this is not something you need to stress about.

Mick22

Post by Mick22 »

I was always told you cannot get into trouble for "Printing".

Topic author
shaker67

Post by shaker67 »

Thx for clarifying guys. Much appreciated.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

This is legal for 30.06 ;-)

Although like mentioned above, you might get verbal notice. Don't sweat it. Most people have their faces so buried in their phones these days they'll never notice.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

dont think I would carry a gun as shown in picture above. Scary position
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

o b juan wrote:dont think I would carry a gun as shown in picture above. Scary position
Yeah, how much trust do put in your safety? My answer is "not that much." Since I usually carry a Glock, you definitely won't see me carrying that way.

On topic: Printing was never a thing. It's totally not a thing now. Don't worry about it unless you are somewhere that you fear you may be asked to leave if it becomes known you are carrying. There are zero legal implications regardless. Hope this helps.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

dlh

Post by dlh »

The "imprinting question" comes up from time to time.

I think the relevant penal code provision, at least for us licensed carry-holders is:

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/ ... 6-035.html

If the handgun is in your pocket or under your shirt and is only "imprinting" then I do not see how you would be "intentionally displaying the handgun in plain view of another person in a public place...(open-carry exempted of course).

It is possible some mis-directed over-zealous prosecutor or peace officer might think otherwise but I have never heard of any problems.

If anybody in the group has heard of any charges then I would be interested in the details.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

LucasMcCain wrote:
o b juan wrote:dont think I would carry a gun as shown in picture above. Scary position
Yeah, how much trust do put in your safety? My answer is "not that much." Since I usually carry a Glock, you definitely won't see me carrying that way.

On topic: Printing was never a thing. It's totally not a thing now. Don't worry about it unless you are somewhere that you fear you may be asked to leave if it becomes known you are carrying. There are zero legal implications regardless. Hope this helps.

Carrying appendix with a GLOCK is no big deal. I carry that way about 50% of the time. It is perfectly safe as long as you don't pull the trigger. Never had a ND and most likely never will. The stereotype on carrying appendix and shooting yourself is blown way out of proportion. It just doesn't happen often. In fact 90% of the ND I see are carried at 3-4:30 position hardly ever appendix. I do agree that it is pointing at something that you don't want to destroy but as long as your careful and you use the safety between your ears you will be fine.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

First, no. "Printing" is a non legal issue if you are licenced. Print all you want. Even label your tee shirt "gun here". Keeping your gun non- discernible is good. Carrying your gun openly in plain view is good. It's when you appear to be hiding a gun that makes people suspicious. That occurs when you "print". Nothing illegal about it at all. But it looks sneaky. That draws looks. But let them look.

It is what it is.

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Not sure I would carry as shown in the picture though. Not because of the legalities but safety. As tight as the shirt is around the gun, it will IMHO, slow down drawing of your weapon. I have tried it before and have had the shirt snag on parts of the gun because it was so tight but then I am a larger guy. A little larger (next size up) would probably work better for you though
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

cmgee67 wrote: Carrying appendix with a GLOCK is no big deal. I carry that way about 50% of the time. It is perfectly safe as long as you don't pull the trigger.
I understand what you're saying, but I just can't get comfortable carrying a pistol pointing at my femoral artery.

rotor

Post by rotor »

cmgee67 wrote:
LucasMcCain wrote:

Carrying appendix with a GLOCK is no big deal. I carry that way about 50% of the time. It is perfectly safe as long as you don't pull the trigger. Never had a ND and most likely never will. The stereotype on carrying appendix and shooting yourself is blown way out of proportion. It just doesn't happen often. In fact 90% of the ND I see are carried at 3-4:30 position hardly ever appendix. I do agree that it is pointing at something that you don't want to destroy but as long as your careful and you use the safety between your ears you will be fine.
The other argument would be is that 90% of carry is at 3-4:30 position. A ND from 3-4:30 is probably not as bad as one with appendix carry. The problem of course is that ND does occur. The argument then is should one carry a Glock appendix with one in the chamber. I do carry appendix most of the time but I don't carry one in the chamber. A compromise I make.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I appendix carry a Glock 19 in a holster.

Why do I carry in this position?

Shoulder problems.

I use a holster, my Glock is not just stuck in my belt, which is what the under informed are likely to do...

Thugs don't (for reasons beyond my understanding) like to use holsters.

Fine, take a chance on removing parts of your anatomy.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”