CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Swissy
Posts in topic: 6

LTC/Firearm/Purse Stolen

Post by Swissy »

Hey Guys/Gals,

My wife's purse was stolen out of her vehicle in a snatch and grab while she was bringing in groceries. She had her wallet and handgun inside and obviously the wallet had her LTC inside of it. What is the process? We went to the gun show in Conroe this weekend and the LTC booth there told us she would be waiting 4-6 months for a new one if reported stolen. Is this true?

She had not changed her address since our move this year, could she just change the address and get a new one? When I did that with mine I got it in 5-7 days.

The handgun was obviously reported as stolen, but the police office did not make any mention to her of what to do about the license. I do not want her carrying without a hardcopy, but I also do not want her unprotected.

Thoughts on what to do?

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LTC/Firearm/Purse Stolen

Post by TreyHouston »

Cant she just login and get here id number for her LTC? And carry that around? Im sure police, if needed can pull up that info.
Example, when I accidentally leave my DL at home, i dont think twice as i have my DL# memorized... The cops can verify this on the fly cant they?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
Swissy

Post by Swissy »

Yes - but at that point isn't she not legal as she doesn't have the actual hardcopy in hand?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Don't be so sure that an address change will be processed quickly. There is a backlog for everything right now. I submitted an address change in February, and got my new LTC in late June.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Also, keep in mind that whoever took her purse now knows the home address of a confirmed gun owner. They may well assume that you could have more guns at home. As my DI used to say, Stay alert - stay alive.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

TreyHouston wrote:Cant she just login and get here id number for her LTC? And carry that around? Im sure police, if needed can pull up that info.
Example, when I accidentally leave my DL at home, i dont think twice as i have my DL# memorized... The cops can verify this on the fly cant they?
I would not carry unless I had hard plastic. If you run into the wrong Policeman on the wrong day you better have your DL with, not just have the number memorized....same with insurance.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

It's my understanding that you must send in old LTC license upon receipt of the new one with new address.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Swissy

Post by Swissy »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Also, keep in mind that whoever took her purse now knows the home address of a confirmed gun owner. They may well assume that you could have more guns at home. As my DI used to say, Stay alert - stay alive.
I do not want to say thankfully as someone else now lives there, but thankfully it has our old address clear across Houston...

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote:It's my understanding that you must send in old LTC license upon receipt of the new one with new address.
Not true, at least in my case.

I've done two address changes and have never been asked to send in the old one.

Bryanmc
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bryanmc »

There's a spot on the LTC website to report a stolen license. My guess is that is there because they expect you to report a stolen license. :roll: Also, you only have 30 days to report a change of address and can be suspended for 30 days if you fail to do so. If you did a change of address and the police were to catch someone with your unreported stolen license it might be a bad thing for you.
Last edited by Bryanmc on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Bryanmc wrote:There's a spot on the LTC website to report a stolen license. My guess is that is there because they expect you to report a stolen license. :roll:
It's a government agency so I would never assume that logic applies. But you may be right.

Topic author
Swissy

Post by Swissy »

bblhd672 wrote:It's my understanding that you must send in old LTC license upon receipt of the new one with new address.
Well it was stolen inside her wallet, so obviously we do not have anything to send back to the state.

I am going to have her proceed just doing the change of address since she needed to anyways.

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

Swissy wrote: I am going to have her proceed just doing the change of address since she needed to anyways.
Just FYI http://www.southlakechl.com/2012/12/10/ ... or-stolen/

Also, check #16 here... http://dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/faqs/

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Bryanmc wrote:
Swissy wrote: I am going to have her proceed just doing the change of address since she needed to anyways.
Just FYI http://www.southlakechl.com/2012/12/10/ ... or-stolen/

Also, check #16 here... http://dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/faqs/
From your 2nd link:
NOTE: When DPS replaces a lost/stolen license, the license number will be changed for security reasons.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

Pawpaw wrote:
From your 2nd link:
NOTE: When DPS replaces a lost/stolen license, the license number will be changed for security reasons.
Yes, and from the first link... Failing to report your license as lost of stolen within 60 days may also result in a suspension of your license.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”