LTC/Firearm/Purse Stolen

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC/Firearm/Purse Stolen

Post by Bruin98 »

May want to consider taking a picture when the replacement comes.

I have a picture of mine saved to a secure app on my phone.

Im more likely to go someplace without my phone than my wallet, and i dont know if it would work, but i figured it might be better than nothing.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:It's my understanding that you must send in old LTC license upon receipt of the new one with new address.
Not true, at least in my case.

I've done two address changes and have never been asked to send in the old one.
Two address changes for my wife and I in the past year, no need to send in old plastic, just destroy the old one.
Actually received the new LTC plastic quicker than the new DL's.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

flowrie wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:It's my understanding that you must send in old LTC license upon receipt of the new one with new address.

Two address changes for my wife and I in the past year, no need to send in old plastic, just destroy the old one.
I stand corrected. Must have been bad info from my LTC instructor because I wrote it in my class notes. I've searched CHL-16 and don't see it in there.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

Bryanmc wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
From your 2nd link:
NOTE: When DPS replaces a lost/stolen license, the license number will be changed for security reasons.
Yes, and from the first link... Failing to report your license as lost of stolen within 60 days may also result in a suspension of your license.
I missed that. Thanks! :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

goose

Post by goose »

Swissy wrote:Yes - but at that point isn't she not legal as she doesn't have the actual hardcopy in hand?
I don't see that this was addressed. I do not believe that the physical plastic is what makes you legal to carry. Physical plastic doesn't make you legal to drive.

Can anyone weigh in on the legalities? Especially since there is no penalty for not showing the card to LEO.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I requested a new license in June of this year. They had it to me in 2 weeks.

Be optimistic.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

goose wrote:
Swissy wrote:Yes - but at that point isn't she not legal as she doesn't have the actual hardcopy in hand?
I don't see that this was addressed. I do not believe that the physical plastic is what makes you legal to carry. Physical plastic doesn't make you legal to drive.

Can anyone weigh in on the legalities? Especially since there is no penalty for not showing the card to LEO.
This is the statute that makes it legal to carry once we're licensed:
PC §46.15 wrote:PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
:tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

casp625

Post by casp625 »

Pawpaw wrote:
goose wrote:

This is the statute that makes it legal to carry once we're licensed:
PC §46.15 wrote:PC §46.15. NON-APPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;
:tiphat:
You just read it in context. I added more color to your quote for relevance.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

To-may-to, to-mah-to. Either way, it means you have to have the plastic on your person when you carry. :tiphat:

pushpullpete

Post by pushpullpete »

bblhd672 wrote:
flowrie wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I stand corrected. Must have been bad info from my LTC instructor because I wrote it in my class notes. I've searched CHL-16 and don't see it in there.
:iagree: Old licenses (dl & chl) go in safe, not back to state.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

When your wife gets her LTC re-issued, you could have her apply for a AZ CHL. I think it's about $60. They just need prints and a copy of your TX LTC or other accepted proof of gun training. They crank them out fast, too. I got mine in 2 weeks. That way if it ever happens again, she could carry on AZ until TX is replaced.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

Pawpaw wrote:To-may-to, to-mah-to. Either way, it means you have to have the plastic on your person when you carry. :tiphat:
411.205 makes it pretty clear.....

If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.

It doesn't say "a reasonable facsimile" or "can be researched by the officer". :tiphat:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Bryanmc wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:To-may-to, to-mah-to. Either way, it means you have to have the plastic on your person when you carry. :tiphat:
411.205 makes it pretty clear.....

If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.

It doesn't say "a reasonable facsimile" or "can be researched by the officer". :tiphat:
As mentioned in an earlier post, there is no penalty for violating 411.205.

However, if you violate 46.15 by carrying without your license, you lose it's protection from prosecution under 46.02. That does carry a heavy penalty.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Bryanmc wrote:If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.
If I'm wrong please correct me, before a magistrate and/or peace officer can demand to see identification don't we have to be in the process of/or the believe we are committing a crime?

Now, I always carry my LTC/DL with me when I'm carrying, and IF requested I always produce ID even if I don't think I am doing anything illegally.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

lowdogtx

Post by lowdogtx »

TreyHouston wrote:Cant she just login and get here id number for her LTC? And carry that around? Im sure police, if needed can pull up that info.
Example, when I accidentally leave my DL at home, i dont think twice as i have my DL# memorized... The cops can verify this on the fly cant they?
Sec. 521.025. LICENSE TO BE CARRIED AND EXHIBITED ON DEMAND; CRIMINAL PENALTY. (a) A person required to hold a license under Section 521.021 shall:
(1) have in the person's possession while operating a motor vehicle the class of driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle operated; and
(2) display the license on the demand of a magistrate, court officer, or peace officer.
(b) A peace officer may stop and detain a person operating a motor vehicle to determine if the person has a driver's license as required by this section.
(c) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this subsection is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200,

Keep this in mind its still a ticket , some judges will dismiss

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”