Disarming at Seaworld, San Antonio was not enough

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 13

Disarming at Seaworld, San Antonio was not enough

Post by Beiruty »

I disarmed at Seaworld, San Antonio before entering but it was not enough. There are LEOs on standby and private employee inspecting the bags of those entering the Seaworld park. All seemed justified due to the recent soft targets attacks.

I removed my pistol from Tommy's pack and kept it in my SUV. the 2 extra mags stayed in the pack next to T.knife and Flashlight. Upon inspection, a lady Police Officer was promptly summoned to investigate and I declared that I have a CHL, I am disarmed.

First, I was asked why I am carrying. I said I am not and my firearm was in the vehicle and as matter of course I displayed my CHL/DL. Then, I was asked why I am carrying ammo in magazines. I responded, is that a problem? And, why I cannot carry ammo? Short answer, I am not allowed to have ammo inside the park. I requested to go back to my vehicle and leave the magazines there. I got the Ok, I asked if I can keep the knife and a flashlight with me and I was given the Okay.

Back to my SUV, I stored the magazines there and came back to the checkpoint.

Same Officer, approached me again and I let her inspect my pack. I thought I was done. Nope, she requested my "credentials" again. I happily provided both as requested. My name was recorded on small notepad. Unusual, but it still fine with me.

Ah, Now I thought we are in the clear and I could proceed to the park. Nope, another private security employee who speaks Arabic approached us again after we passed the security checkpoint and asked again, this time in Arabic, if I have my piece on me? Where are we from? I restated the obvious and I declared again that I kept a knife and a flashlight on me. We were held up until he could confirm that everything is Okay.

5 mins later, we got the green light and we were wished to have a great and joyful day at Seaworld.

Extra safety measures. Yes. warranted yes. However, I saw huge bags being patted and puffed and let them in. Soft Drink or liquid containers were also problematic.

I guess good guys would comply happily, bad guys would bypass the security theater.
Last edited by Beiruty on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Disarming at Seaworld, San Antonio was not enough

Post by Keith B »

First mistake, if you are unarmed and they are private security, you shouldn't have disclosed you were a LTC holder. No legal or valid reason to do so. That would have probably ended right there with you being allowed to pass.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

You should have asked why the big bags were let go and you were all but cavity searched, after VOLUNTARILY disclosing that you had disarmed. Not too surprising but nonetheless, ridiculous!!

rotor

Post by rotor »

Do you think it is because of your religion? SeaWorld has taken such a bad rap lately with their killer whale stuff I guess they are really cautious about everything. I am glad they are at least attempting to make their gun free zone a safe zone. The fact that they had someone who speaks Arabic come up to you means they are profiling. I hate to see this happening but I understand why they are. If you were disarmed beforehand I wouldn't have given them any info about your LTC status. Did you enjoy the show? I personally never cared for SeaWorld but my wife likes it.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote:Do you think it is because of your religion? SeaWorld has taken such a bad rap lately with their killer whale stuff I guess they are really cautious about everything. I am glad they are at least attempting to make their gun free zone a safe zone.
Disarming citizens isn't making anyone safer. This approach is what gets people killed.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor

Post by rotor »

Liberty wrote:
rotor wrote:Do you think it is because of your religion? SeaWorld has taken such a bad rap lately with their killer whale stuff I guess they are really cautious about everything. I am glad they are at least attempting to make their gun free zone a safe zone.
Disarming citizens isn't making anyone safer. This approach is what gets people killed.
I agree but they are a gun free zone and at least they are trying to keep bad guys with guns out. Hopefully they are doing it. If I had my choice I would prefer to carry there too. I doubt that the legislature will change this one though.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Keith B wrote:First mistake, if you are unarmed and they are private security, you shouldn't have disclosed you were a LTC holder. No legal or valid reason to do so. That would have probably ended right there with you being allowed to pass.
They were inspecting every bag or pack. I disclosed to the LEOs.
Beiruty,

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Beiruty wrote:
Keith B wrote:First mistake, if you are unarmed and they are private security, you shouldn't have disclosed you were a LTC holder. No legal or valid reason to do so. That would have probably ended right there with you being allowed to pass.
They were inspecting every bag or pack. I disclosed to the LEOs.
Ahh, sorry, read it wrong. See that they called a LEO when they found your mags. :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

rotor wrote:Do you think it is because of your religion? SeaWorld has taken such a bad rap lately with their killer whale stuff I guess they are really cautious about everything. I am glad they are at least attempting to make their gun free zone a safe zone. The fact that they had someone who speaks Arabic come up to you means they are profiling. I hate to see this happening but I understand why they are. If you were disarmed beforehand I wouldn't have given them any info about your LTC status. Did you enjoy the show? I personally never cared for SeaWorld but my wife likes it.
My wife and my Mother-in-Law were wearing veils. Did it matter, maybe. I was the only they were interested in. On the good side, here is a photo from the walk-by-the-river boat ride.

The arabic speaker was Palestinian Christian, good Arabic speaker and not that offensive at all.

This is my 3 trip to Seaworld. Seaworld is fun if you have kids or guests/family to entertain for a day. It was fun but hot and muggy. It rained in the morning too.
Beiruty,

lowdogtx

Post by lowdogtx »

I guess in confused why did they think they need someone to speak in Arabic to you?Is you English poor? I speak Spanish but you would not know it from my west Texas accent. I think I would find it a little offensive if they felt the need to have someone speak another language to me. Its like don't try anything sneaky. Just my thought

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by Soap »

rotor wrote:Do you think it is because of your religion? SeaWorld has taken such a bad rap lately with their killer whale stuff I guess they are really cautious about everything. I am glad they are at least attempting to make their gun free zone a safe zone. The fact that they had someone who speaks Arabic come up to you means they are profiling. I hate to see this happening but I understand why they are. If you were disarmed beforehand I wouldn't have given them any info about your LTC status. Did you enjoy the show? I personally never cared for SeaWorld but my wife likes it.
I doubt they're profiling. It's possible but if someone is wearing a sheet are they going to search you?

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

I can't offer any insight, but wanted to say you have a beautiful family and I'm glad yall were able to enjoy the day after all the delay.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasTornado »

I'm not sure if Sea World is 30.06 posted or not, but at venues like this that are NOT posted (no rule 4 violations here), I always ankle carry. I've never had any trouble walking past the teenagers with wands etc. either.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

Seaworld is one of my accounts (sell them valves). Haven't been there as a tourist but the gate I enter to visit with engineering is posted 30.06. Security at this gate is definitely not LE, nor armed. Vehicle is always given a (cursory) check.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

lowdogtx wrote:I guess in confused why did they think they need someone to speak in Arabic to you?Is you English poor? I speak Spanish but you would not know it from my west Texas accent. I think I would find it a little offensive if they felt the need to have someone speak another language to me. Its like don't try anything sneaky. Just my thought
Never had a problem with English. The Officer and the bag guy with a 10" probe never had a problem conversing with me. An Arabic Speaker would be an advantage for the those "guests" who do not speak English. I have no issues with him being around. I do not play stupid games and I do not expect disastrous bad rewards.

BTW, At the park I saw folks that they looked like ISIS guys with their families. Did it peak my interest, yes. Was I concerned? no.
Beiruty,

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”