Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

Post by imkopaka »

I was in Lubbock a few days ago and while at Wal-mart I had a bottle of wine among my purchases. When asked for ID, I presented the first ID in my wallet, which was my LTC. The employee stated that she could not accept it as a valid ID and I needed to display my drivers license. I informed her that the law states that LTC's are valid IDs, but she said she was just following policy and could be fired for accepting it. It was my understanding that according to H.B. 2739, she was not allowed to refuse it as a valid form of ID. Is there something I could do to make sure this isn't a problem in the future? Should I contact the manager? Is it even a battle worth fighting?
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Wal-Mart employee refused LTC as ID?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

imkopaka wrote:I was in Lubbock a few days ago and while at Wal-mart I had a bottle of wine among my purchases. When asked for ID, I presented the first ID in my wallet, which was my LTC. The employee stated that she could not accept it as a valid ID and I needed to display my drivers license. I informed her that the law states that LTC's are valid IDs, but she said she was just following policy and could be fired for accepting it. It was my understanding that according to H.B. 2739, she was not allowed to refuse it as a valid form of ID. Is there something I could do to make sure this isn't a problem in the future? Should I contact the manager? Is it even a battle worth fighting?
I'm pretty sure it was just an uninformed employee. As far as I know there is no law stating that you need to be a licensed driver to buy alcohol, so there is no way that a DL is the only form of valid ID to establish age for that transaction. Next time, show her your passport.

I did have the TSA refuse my CHL (at the time) as a valid form of ID at an airport, but they are federal so I just assume their rules are illogical.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

Either she or her employer a ignorant of the law. Your LCT is valid ID for transactions, unless renting a automobile, then you need your DL to prove you are licensed to drive.

I believe the TSA accepts CHL/LTC now since it is now a legal form of state picture ID.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

imkopaka wrote:I was in Lubbock a few days ago and while at Wal-mart I had a bottle of wine among my purchases. When asked for ID, I presented the first ID in my wallet, which was my LTC. The employee stated that she could not accept it as a valid ID and I needed to display my drivers license. I informed her that the law states that LTC's are valid IDs, but she said she was just following policy and could be fired for accepting it. It was my understanding that according to H.B. 2739, she was not allowed to refuse it as a valid form of ID. Is there something I could do to make sure this isn't a problem in the future? Should I contact the manager? Is it even a battle worth fighting?
That's an interesting question, because there's a magnetic strip on your TDL that's used for age verification for liquor sales and maybe admission to age restricted venues where liquor is served. And by Law Enforcement. Perhaps that's the reason for their policy. I don't know if the LTC has the same info.
Last edited by puma guy on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

puma guy wrote:
That's an interesting question, because there's a magnetic strip on your TDL that's only allowed to be used for age verification for liquor sales and maybe admission to age restricted venues where liquor is served. Prerhaps that's the reason for their policy. I don't know if the LTC has the same info.

Since LTC requires, that the holder be 21, it shouldn't need age verification. JMHO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:
puma guy wrote:
That's an interesting question, because there's a magnetic strip on your TDL that's only allowed to be used for age verification for liquor sales and maybe admission to age restricted venues where liquor is served. Prerhaps that's the reason for their policy. I don't know if the LTC has the same info.

Since LTC requires, that the holder be 21, it shouldn't need age verification. JMHO.
There are age exemptions for active members of the military with 18 being the minimum.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

When I was in the Navy in Virginia, I used to show my Military ID Card to buy beer...when I changed my license to Texas in 1990 I started using that. When questioned by the clerks in Virginia, depending on my mood and/or degree of impairment I would:

- Show my Military ID
- Say "Something wrong with TEXAS?!?"
- Say "Last time I checked there are 49 other states besides Virginia..." :biggrinjester:

Half the time I'd get my six-pack and half the time I'd get kicked out.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:
puma guy wrote:

Also, not sure if it is the same info or not, but my LTC has a magnetic strip on the back just like the one on my DL.

Does anyone else think it is a bit backwards to ONLY sell alcohol to someone who is licensed to drive a car? If anything, you would think that people would be less likely to sell alcohol to those who are driving vehicles. Kind of like only selling gasoline in cans to people who are chain smokers.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

puma guy wrote:
That's an interesting question, because there's a magnetic strip on your TDL that's used for age verification for liquor sales and maybe admission to age restricted venues where liquor is served. And by Law Enforcement. Perhaps that's the reason for their policy. I don't know if the LTC has the same info.
I am under the understanding that swiping a DL is not legal for those that are not law enforcement. If they can swipe and get my age, they can get a lot more...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

House Bill 2739 http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 02739F.htm

Effective: September 1, 2015

Caption: Relating to the use of a concealed handgun license as valid proof of personal identification.

Amends the Business and Commerce Code to require businesses to accept a LTC as a valid form of personal identification for access to goods, services, or facilities.
Does not affect laws requiring a driver license to operate a motor vehicle.
Does not effect the existing requirement to present a driver license when renting a car.
Does not affect the type of identification required under federal law to access airport premises or to pass through airport security.
Personally, I'd have asked to see a manager and made him/her aware that their employee is in violating state law. Store policies do not allow for violation of state laws.
Last edited by bblhd672 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LucasMcCain »

LTC is most definitely a legal form of ID. If I remember correctly, any place that requires state issued ID is required by law to accept your LTC. I don't know what law that is or how to find it, but someone here more knowledgeable may. I would most definitely speak to a manager to ensure that their employees are retrained. Be polite about it, but make it clear that it is illegal for their employee to refuse to accept your LTC as age verification. It's a minor point, but I feel it's an important one.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 6

Post by LucasMcCain »

bblhd672 wrote:House Bill 2739 http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 02739F.htm

Effective: September 1, 2015

Caption: Relating to the use of a concealed handgun license as valid proof of personal identification.

Amends the Business and Commerce Code to require businesses to accept a LTC as a valid form of personal identification for access to goods, services, or facilities.
Does not affect laws requiring a driver license to operate a motor vehicle.
Does not effect the existing requirement to present a driver license when renting a car.
Does not affect the type of identification required under federal law to access airport premises or to pass through airport security.
I knew someone would know where to find it. Thanks! :thumbs2:
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 7

Post by bblhd672 »

Wal-Mart and all other companies doing business in Texas cannot have "store policies" that are contrary to state law.

I'd never accept the word of a Wal-Mart cashier about company and/or store policies - after all most of them cannot make change without the POS system telling them how much to give back.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

PatrickMas20

Post by PatrickMas20 »

I had a similar situation at HEB...I purchased some beer during my weekly food shopping visit and presented the first ID in my wallet, which was my LTC and the older woman told me she needed another one form of ID. I explained that was a valid state ID and she said the store has a list of accepted ID's for age verification and a LTC isn't one of them. She was really nice and I didn't wanna come off too strong because she seemed to get loud when I said that an LTC is a valid state ID for age verification, so I pulled out my DL and she smiled and said thanks. I told her to ask her manager regarding the situation and she replied with a "will do". The funny thing is I've used it before in that store with other cashiers and they don't even bat an eye....

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

PatrickMas20 wrote:I had a similar situation at HEB...I purchased some beer during my weekly food shopping visit and presented the first ID in my wallet, which was my LTC and the older woman told me she needed another one form of ID. I explained that was a valid state ID and she said the store has a list of accepted ID's for age verification and a LTC isn't one of them. She was really nice and I didn't wanna come off too strong because she seemed to get loud when I said that an LTC is a valid state ID for age verification, so I pulled out my DL and she smiled and said thanks. I told her to ask her manager regarding the situation and she replied with a "will do". The funny thing is I've used it before in that store with other cashiers and they don't even bat an eye....
I believe there's a civil fine involved for refusal to accept the LTC...I'll have to hunt around for it the GC.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”