Voting with LTC as ID?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Voting with LTC as ID?

Post by GeekwithaGun »

jadoti wrote:Just out of curiosity, why is this a concern/issue? You drove to the polling place, why not present your DL? Just curious why the love for using the LTC as a form of identification aside from presenting it to an officer when required to?
because it was one of seven forms of ID you could use.
NRA Life Member

sixer-sxt-3.7
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sixer-sxt-3.7 »

In Richmond, I tried with my CHL (grandfathered in as LTC), and the scanner didn't like it. I had my DL, so no issues. I didn't press it, and wanted to do it more for kicks.

If you have a CHL, it may not be recognized. YMMV.

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I have used CHL in past, but this time I used my Pass Port Card.

First time photo ID was required I presented my CHL, DL, PP Card, Passport and Voter registration card - five of the six allowed - told them I wanted to be sure I was allowed to vote.

allisji

Post by allisji »

jadoti wrote:Just out of curiosity, why is this a concern/issue? You drove to the polling place, why not present your DL? Just curious why the love for using the LTC as a form of identification aside from presenting it to an officer when required to?
The only reason why I initially presented my LTC as ID was just because I was curious how the person at the table would respond. I assumed that they would take it without saying a word, and was somewhat surprised that they asked instead to see my DL.

Basically I had been standing there for 2 hours and debated whether to present my LTC or my DL and decided I wanted to see they would say/do when I used my LTC.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

bdgyeah

Post by bdgyeah »

Maybe its just me, but I would only use my LTC ID when absolutely necessary. I'm proud to have it, and very glad I do. But that thing is only coming out of my wallet when it's asked for by a LEO.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Serious assumption that folks drove to the polling place, especially those saying that they voted at the same time as their spouse.

But for me, the answer to this question is similar to the answer of why I do not consent to a "quick" search of my vehicle even though I have nothing to hide. If you have to ask, then I'm guessing I won't be able to convince you of my position on an internet message board.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Serious assumption that folks drove to the polling place, especially those saying that they voted at the same time as their spouse.

But for me, the answer to this question is similar to the answer of why I do not consent to a "quick" search of my vehicle even though I have nothing to hide. If you have to ask, then I'm guessing I won't be able to convince you of my position on an internet message board.
I actually have a friend who cannot drive. He is legally blind. He can see, but not well enough to drive. His vision cannot be corrected with glasses or surgery. I took him to vote early last week. There are also people who will take the bus or other mass transit in urban or suburban areas. The location could also be within walking distance of a person's home. So you are correct, it is an assumption that folks drove to the polling place.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Well! Using a gun license? The very idea! A polling place is a temple of civil rights, don't cha see, and taking some reminder of firearms to vote is like assuming a gun is some kind of Constitutionally guaranteed thing.

It is, to use a term we can all recognize, deplorable.

Er, hope nobody minds if I swipe the idea. I like the message. :biggrinjester:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Voted yesterday. Used my LTC for id. No issues.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

striker55

Post by striker55 »

All you need is a bill sent to your home and sign an affidavit, how is that for ID?

TXRuger

Post by TXRuger »

:iagree:

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

I used my CHL for a voting ID at the Austin Community College on Airport Blvd
I did not have any trouble went right in and voted :txflag:
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

n5wd

Slight problem with LTC as ID!

Post by n5wd »

I tried using my LTC to early vote last night, but ran into a slight problem... DPS still (after more than 45 days) hasn't sent me an LTC or Driver's License with my new address on it. Luckily, my voter registration card had the correct address.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Voted this morning with my LTC as my Photo ID.

Handed over my voter registration card and the judge scanned it and then used the LTC as the photo ID to verify my address and that I am who I say I am.

About a 35 minute wait this morning at 10:00. I have never seen lines that long.

jadoti

Post by jadoti »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

You're right on the assumption, but this isn't the first time I've seen a post on LTC being offered as ID, I'm fairly certain not everyone who has done so has no DL. And I do understand saying no to a search of your vehicle, but sorry the comparison is just not there. There's a very valid legal reason to refuse a search of your vehicle even when you have nothing to hide, outside of just exercising your rights (even if that is why you do it).

But, like I said, I was just curious. I gather "because I can" is the dominant reason, and that's fine too. I just thought there might have been some perceived benefit I was missing, like using your LTC when buying a handgun to skip the background check.
Proud NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”