CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

EX PA NFL TX LTC arrested in NJ for 9MM CCW blames HOU

Post by philip964 »

http://abc13.com/sports/nfl-player-blam ... -/1587207/

His team doesn't plan to punish him even though he had some MJ with him.
Last edited by philip964 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bblhd672

Re: PA NFL TX LTC arrested in NJ for 9MM CCW blames HOU

Post by bblhd672 »

after reading the article I'm struck by the dumb comments of both the player and his coach.
"I don't necessarily understand why they need guns outside of sport hunting," Eagles coach Doug Pederson.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bdgyeah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bdgyeah »

A responsible, driving while intoxicated, drug abusing, gun owner. Nice.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

bdgyeah wrote:A responsible, driving while intoxicated, drug abusing, gun owner. Nice.
most likely add "former Texas LTC holder"
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
philip964

Re: EX PA NFL TX LTC arrested in NJ for 9MM CCW blames HOU

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/phi ... ug-charges

Josh Huff released by Eagles.

I guess that initial report that the Eagles were not going to punish him were wrong.

Maybe it was because the gun was unloaded.

TresHuevos

Post by TresHuevos »

bblhd672 wrote:after reading the article I'm struck by the dumb comments of both the player and his coach.
"I don't necessarily understand why they need guns outside of sport hunting," Eagles coach Doug Pederson.
He's just toeing the NFL corporate line. It's just sad to me that what was once my favorite professional sport has been ruined by liberal ideology.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

After reading the story, here is what I gathered. Mr. Huff believes that there are a lot of people in Houston who are out to kill him and his family. So he got a Texas CHL and carries a gun. That makes sense.

Mr Huff was driving around with his gun, unloaded, in NJ, where it is very much illegal to do so (that law is unconstitutional, IMHO, but lets set that aside for the moment). Apparently, Mr Huff believes that the people "out to get him" from Houston might follow him to NJ, but they would be kind enough to give him time to load his gun before they attacked.

Mr Huff's coach apparently thinks his player is completely delusional about the people who are "out to get him" because he says that he doesn't believe Mr Huff has any valid self defense concerns, but he then speculates that Mr Huff might be a particularly avid sportsman who is willing to break the law to engage in his hobby of sport shooting.

Conclusion - These folks might know a thing or two about the game of football, but their overall intelligence level leaves a bit to be desired.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:After reading the story, here is what I gathered. Mr. Huff believes that there are a lot of people in Houston who are out to kill him and his family. So he got a Texas CHL and carries a gun. That makes sense.

Mr Huff was driving around with his gun, unloaded, in NJ, where it is very much illegal to do so (that law is unconstitutional, IMHO, but lets set that aside for the moment). Apparently, Mr Huff believes that the people "out to get him" from Houston might follow him to NJ, but they would be kind enough to give him time to load his gun before they attacked.

Mr Huff's coach apparently thinks his player is completely delusional about the people who are "out to get him" because he says that he doesn't believe Mr Huff has any valid self defense concerns, but he then speculates that Mr Huff might be a particularly avid sportsman who is willing to break the law to engage in his hobby of sport shooting.

Conclusion - These folks might know a thing or two about the game of football, but their overall intelligence level leaves a bit to be desired.

The league is run by some of the richest people in the country, the coaches and players are all millionaires after a couple of years, I seriously doubt that any of them live in areas with high crime rates, and most have security wherever they go. I would also bet that the majority of managers, owners, coaches, etc. have never had to defend themselves, in much more than an on the field fight. They are as far removed from common people as movie stars.
Players, on the other hand usually don't come from wealthy backgrounds, and have a better understanding of what happens in the real world.

That being said, anyone who has made it in the NFL, should be able to remove themselves from dangerous people they grew up around, and not associate with them, but we have seen time and time again that they can't seem to break away from that lifestyle.
Anyone caught with an illegal weapon (I know it is only illegal in NJ) with illegal drugs (I'll not debate the marijuana issue here) and then claims they are afraid of someone 1500 miles away, is delusional. and I won't defend them. Everyone should have the right to self defense, but excercising that right also comes with some self discipline. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Jusme wrote:The league is run by some of the richest people in the country, the coaches and players are all millionaires after a couple of years, I seriously doubt that any of them live in areas with high crime rates, and most have security wherever they go. I would also bet that the majority of managers, owners, coaches, etc. have never had to defend themselves, in much more than an on the field fight. They are as far removed from common people as movie stars.
Players, on the other hand usually don't come from wealthy backgrounds, and have a better understanding of what happens in the real world.

That being said, anyone who has made it in the NFL, should be able to remove themselves from dangerous people they grew up around, and not associate with them, but we have seen time and time again that they can't seem to break away from that lifestyle.
Anyone caught with an illegal weapon (I know it is only illegal in NJ) with illegal drugs (I'll not debate the marijuana issue here) and then claims they are afraid of someone 1500 miles away, is delusional. and I won't defend them. Everyone should have the right to self defense, but excercising that right also comes with some self discipline. JMHO
I'm an Eagles fan, but the comments of the coach make it hard to get behind this team. Coaches are paid to coach not get into the political discussion. To the player, while I agree it is within his right to carry in TX it is not in NJ. The fact that he had drugs in the vehicle and possibly another charge of DWI I find that unacceptable. The LTC community holds ourselves to a higher standard, like most of us do on this forum.

Again I say, I find it hard to support this team now. I agree with you completely Jusme.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Just another of the many reasons the NFL is seeing declining popularity....

mojohn

Post by mojohn »

excercising that right also comes with some self discipline. JMHO
Is it possible the maturity level and self-discipline of many NFL players....
are at low levels, is due to the players' (generally) young ages?

greyjack

Post by greyjack »

mojohn wrote:
Young engineers and accountants seem much more responsible than NFL and NBA players of the same age. Nature or nuture?

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

mojohn wrote:

Age and maturity are mutually exclusive. Those young in years may make mistakes due to inexperience, but can and do demonstrate great maturity. Those who make mistakes due to attitude or upbringing, will do so at any age. This person had plenty of time to mature, learn from people with maturity, while in school, or learn from other's mistakes. But he chose to go his own way and not take advantage of the opportunity to overcome his upbringing. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

sheary

Post by sheary »

Maybe football doesn't cause CTE. Maybe it's the other way around. :biggrinjester:

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

mojohn wrote:
I was 17 when I joined the Army. Barely 18 when I strapped on a parachute, was handed a 1911 and a belt of loaded magazines as well as demo packs and an intel/crypto packet for the place we were supposed to be going.

Age has nothing to do with it. My own rebelliousness flared up AFTER I got out. But when I was barely old enough to drive, the army trusted me with the safety of an entire platoon of infantry.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”