Del Mar College campus carry input

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Del Mar College campus carry input

Post by roadkill »

Our local community college is looking for some input in regards to their campus carry policy. They surely need some educated viewpoints in this. As I went over the topics they seek input on I couldn't help but notice how they want to claim the childcare facilities as both a childcare facility under TX admin code as well as 46.03 as an school/educational institution. There is also other items such as voting location and open meetings act. They also want to treat places where dual credit high school students attend class as if they are high school students and not college students. Other than the sensitive areas (labs) I believe they are wrong in their opinions of wanting to ban LTC from, however the inclusion of mechanical rooms just make me scratch my head. Even the "firearms on community campuses" is filled with misinformation, specifically in regards to 46.035 and the subsequent does not apply to in section i even though they cite i but never quoted the text saying they must post 30.06/30.07. Please go to the link and comment.

http://www.delmar.edu/campuscarry/

mrvmax

Re: Del Mar College campus carry input

Post by mrvmax »

I know the President of Del Mar, if anyone has some good stats I can forward him about campus carry please post links and I will send it to him. Our families were friends when I was younger and I have not spoken to him for years so it is not like we are close but I am pretty sure he will read what I send him.

Bladed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bladed »

Compared to the policies approved by some colleges and universities, Del Mar's look pretty good. The only one that seemed questionable to me was "In the College’s passenger transportation (if without written permission)." I'm assuming the college doesn't have a shuttle service or bus service like most universities do, so I'm not sure what this refers to; however, I don't see any reason they'd need to prohibit carry in university vehicles.

If you're looking for information to share with the college, you might look through some of the press releases from Students for Concealed Carry, to see if you find anything useful:
"A Refresher on the Case for Campus Carry in Texas": http://concealedcampus.org/2016/05/a-re ... -in-texas/

SCC’s Oct. 2, 2015 – Jan. 30, 2017, Texas press releases and op-eds:

SCC's 2015 Texas legislative handout (includes Dec. 9 - May 22, 2015, press releases and op-eds):

All SCC statements regarding the campus carry policies proposed by UT-Austin:

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Central Texas College has vehicles in their proposed policies as well. I see Del Mar has referenced 46.15 - what part of that do they feel justifies their policy?
CTC has a portion of a building that is "Early College High School" and has only high school students in it. It will get a 30.06 sign. Concealed carry will remain legal in classrooms in other buildings even if high school students are attending them. I'm assuming that is what Del Mar means by "exclusive use".
I keep hearing that making these policies comply with the law is complicated. I believe the opposite is true. It's simple to comply with the law, what is complicated is trying to not comply without getting in legal trouble over it.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

It would seem that banning carry in campus shuttle vehicles would not be allowed by statute. A school cannot pass rules that generally restrict carrying on campus. If you ride the shuttle to school and can't carry your gun, then you are effectively prevented from carrying anywhere on campus.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Bladed
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bladed »

RossA wrote:It would seem that banning carry in campus shuttle vehicles would not be allowed by statute. A school cannot pass rules that generally restrict carrying on campus. If you ride the shuttle to school and can't carry your gun, then you are effectively prevented from carrying anywhere on campus.
It seems to me that the rules governing campus vehicles would be limited to administrative policy and would be civilly enforceable but not criminally enforceable.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”