Licensed but don't carry? Why?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 1

Licensed but don't carry? Why?

Post by SIGFan43 »

Thinking about my friends who have a license to carry a handgun, but rarely have it on their body, I read several articles today published after the nation's 4th worst mass shooting by a single shooter, the Luby's massacre in Killeen, Texas, in 1991. I lived in Arkansas at that time, but in 1999 I obtained my first LTC, and carried every day, everywhere I could legally carry. Four years later, after Suzanna Hupp told the story about how she removed her gun from her purse and left her gun in her truck before dining with her parents. If she had it to do over, she would have carried it anyway if she knew her parents were going to die a horrible death that day. Almost 50 people were killed or injured that day. The Democrat response was to ban handguns similar to the two that the killer used, including guns that hold 15 rounds. Ann Richards, a Democratic governor, vetoed attempts to pass Texas' concealed carry law, but George W. Bush signed it into law about 1995. Hupp is quoted as having said, "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." If you're licensed and not carrying that weapon everywhere that it's legal to carry, you should think again about your life and those of the loved ones nearby. If you have a license, why don't you have that handgun with you? By the way, the Killeen murderer was targeting mainly women. I love that more women are getting licensed every day. Google it: "mass shooting at Luby's in Killeen TX." It may change your mind.
Last edited by SIGFan43 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Licensed but don't carry? Why?

Post by Jusme »

I remember it very well, I was a LEO at the time, not in Killeen, but it was a huge topic of discussion, in my department. I was one of the few officers at the time who advocated for citizens to carry, and explained how someone in that restaurant could have prevented even more deaths.
I was never so glad than when Ann Richards was finally replaced, I think her hypocritical stance on guns (she was often seen in photo ops, hunting dove etc.) is one of the main reasons voters, here in Texas, woke up and realized that their elected officials care nothing about their safety.

People not carrying, are a conundrum to me also, but then there are those who only think they will need it in the "bad" part of town, but Killeen is a perfect example, that there is no "good" part of town.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Getting the CHL/LTC is the easy part. Finding a decent handgun worthy of qualifying is a lot easier than finding something suitable for everyday carry. Finding a "good holster and belt isn't so easy either. Most of us have a drawer full of useless holsters that just don't work for me there has been a lot of trial and error. Then there are others whose jobs won't allow them to carry.

Mostly though it's a matter of habit, If people strap it on first thing in the morning or before they step out their door, they have a habit developed. Those who can't carry at their workplace or at all times, don't develop the habit. It has been my experience that people carry near all the time, or very seldom. Very few carry half the time.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

I carry every day that I can. Unfortunately, my workplace has a "no firearms" policy that extends to the parking lot - even though that is unenforceable. The prospect of carrying to work and then disarming in the parking lot is not appealing as there is significantly more opportunity for something bad to happen. So I am careful and aware of my surroundings when I go to and from work and then arm up as soon as I get home most days. Very very rarely am I out in public disarmed. It is certainly an uncomfortable feeling when I am.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

As an instructor, I have lost count of the number of times students have told me that they do not intend to carry but they want their license just in case they need it when that time comes. I do tell them that I hope if that time ever comes that they have guessed right and are carrying.
I also encourage regular practice in order to fulfill the ethical and moral responsibility to their loved ones and those who are around them in public. When asked what is regular practice, I tell them if you practice monthly then that is probably the bare minimum.

There has been a tremendous rise in the number of women taking the LTC classes, I have had a few classes where the women were at least half of the students. Without trying to sound like an alarmist, I do believe the quote, "The lessons we learn are written on the tombstones of others", applies to all of us, all the time.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

I have a number of friends that have recently gotten their licenses. I encourage each and every one of them to carry any time they are legally able. That saying "carry every day or guess right" has never been more true than it is now. While there never were any "good" parts of town, it really doesn't matter now. Terrorists and mass shooters don't target parts of town; they are indiscriminate. Likewise insane, violent protesters. We live in interesting times, my friends. I arm myself every day with knowledge, situational awareness, the word of God, and my handgun of choice. I encourage all patriots to do the same.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I know 5 people, two couples and a widow, that got their LTC in the last year. None of them carry regularly. They keep one in the car/truck but not on their person. In my conversation with them they cite a few different reasons why they don't strap on a gun everyday, but the one the seems to be the common denominator is comfort and style of dress. They all are over 50, and they all have developed a normal attire or way of dressing that they just aren't willing to change, and none of them want to OC.

It has often been said that those of us who carry everyday dress to the gun. If you refuse to buy your pants a size bigger, or wear your shirt-tail out, or wear you clothes looser, or wear a belt, then carrying concealed gits a bit difficult. I don't agree with it, but for some people I know that is why they don't carry even though they have their LTC.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

I can currently carry at work but I start a new job next Monday and they do have a policy against firearms. My firearm will be on my hip when I leave home and I'll disarm while I'm in the building that I work at. I will not go out in public without it unless I cannot legally do so. It's difficult for me to do so because my children play sports and currently their practices/games are elementary/middle schools. While it's not always comfortable to carry it's comforting.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

There's also a sub-set who think carrying is a responsibility too much for them to bear, but they drive 4000 pound or heavier vehicles. Or drive school buses filled students, or fill in the blank of things requiring great responsibility, but they can't bear the responsibility to carry a gun they're legally able to? Huh?

I don't understand their skewed logic...

The idea of going through the effort and expense to acquire an LTC, but then not carrying makes no sense to me. Why bother?

I not only carry everywhere it's legal to do so, I've started carrying while working in my yard. Something I thought unnecessary until recently. I have it on when I go outside my yard to pick up the mail.

Am I being overly cautious?

Ah, NO, not in today's world...

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Some believe the odds of needing a weapon are so in their favor they do not see a need to carry consistently. Realistically, what are the odds?

Being in the insurance business, I am accustomed to being prepared for the extremely small chance of needing a weapon.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Abraham wrote:[snip]

I not only carry everywhere it's legal to do so, I've started carrying while working in my yard. Something I thought unnecessary until recently. I have it on when I go outside my yard to pick up the mail.

Am I being overly cautious?

Ah, NO, not in today's world...
I do the exact same thing.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I try to carry everyday. However some of the locations I go to for work or when I go to my kids school I have to disarm and leave in the truck. Even though I have a way to secure it in my truck I sometimes feel uncomfortable leaving it in there and getting broken into.

Wag2323

Post by Wag2323 »

As someone who had a chl for 8 months without carrying, I think it might be some people just are of the thought it is just nice to have. I also didnt know until I decided to carry how much goes into the prep if your going to do it regularly (good holster, good belt, slightly different clothes). I didnt know this at the time of getting the chl, this forum has helped a lot.

I also kind of got the bug for shooting now. My thought I should practice more because I carry has turned into a hobby. Before all this I just had a hunting rifle, shotgun, and a pistol for the house. Now I practice regularly with the range, shooting matches, and classes. Also added guns to the collection two pistols and an AR.

This month makes it a year I have been carrying.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

lildave40,

You can (if haven't already) invest in a $30/45 lockable, cabled to seat anchors metal gun storage box for when you have to leave your pistol in the truck.

No, it's not infallible, but will stop the smash and grab criminal/thieves.

ssnstump

Post by ssnstump »

I carry every day, except on work days (I work on a military base so I can't even carry to and from work).
However, I am armed everywhere else. I know of two people with their license that use them only for
emergency situations. Not sure how they are going to determine that.
My intent was to be able to defend my family. Hopefully that'll never happen, but.....
US Navy Submarine Service 1976-1982

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”