Renewal

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
patterson
Posts in topic: 1

Renewal

Post by patterson »

This may have been asked recently but I didn't see it. How long before my license expires should I submit a renewal? I think you cand send in a renewal 6 months before it expires

Lambda Force

Re: Renewal

Post by Lambda Force »

If you're sure you want to renew it makes sense to renew now if your current license expires before Labor Day. However, if it expires later, you may want to wait to see if the fee reduction passes and weigh the savings versus the risk of a gap in coverage. Unless you get a $35 or less renewal already, in which case 6 months is good because you'll still get the same expiration date on the renewal.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

cprems

Post by cprems »

patterson wrote:This may have been asked recently but I didn't see it. How long before my license expires should I submit a renewal? I think you cand send in a renewal 6 months before it expires
My renewal took 42 days. I had to send in (email) out of Country documents though. I didn't wait for the expiration, I renewed as soon as I got my renewal paperwork.
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

At some point around the 6 month mark before your current license expires, you should receive notice from DPS that it's time to renew.
NRA lifetime member

TXRuger

Post by TXRuger »

Yes, I received a letter from DPS about 6 months before my CHL expired to remind me. I did the renewal online and got the new license 2 weeks after that.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”