Krogers signage question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Teacherjoe
Posts in topic: 3

Krogers signage question

Post by Teacherjoe »

So I went to my local Kroger today and they have posted a sign that states the government code chapter 411. I am curious why they need that sign up? It's probably a simple answer that I know but can't remember, it just got posted recently.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Krogers signage question

Post by Liberty »

Probably the infamous TABC blue sign. It's just warning that because they serve alcohol (beer and wine) that unlicensed folks are committing a crime if they carry a gun in the place. Almost every liquor store, convenience store or supermarket is gonna have this sign.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txyaloo

Post by txyaloo »

Teacherjoe wrote:So I went to my local Kroger today and they have posted a sign that states the government code chapter 411. I am curious why they need that sign up? It's probably a simple answer that I know but can't remember, it just got posted recently.
Was it the sign below? TABC was issuing that sign for a short period last January after OC became law. They went back to the standard "blue" sign after a few weeks

Topic author
Teacherjoe

Post by Teacherjoe »

It says that but it's almost transparent white lettering with a clear background. AND it's posted at the bottom of a window beside a sliding door. When the door opens, it hides it. I just happen to see it before the door activated. Is it legal?

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

It's legal
And if you have an LTC, just walk on by and shop!
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Teacherjoe wrote:So I went to my local Kroger today and they have posted a sign that states the government code chapter 411. I am curious why they need that sign up? It's probably a simple answer that I know but can't remember, it just got posted recently.
People were carrying long guns into Kroger. While it's not illegal for people to do that, it's illegal for Kroger to knowingly let them do that, because Kroger sells alcohol. The sign is just a reminder.

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/press ... 130906.asp

Topic author
Teacherjoe

Post by Teacherjoe »

Teamless wrote:It's legal
I have a LTC so I'm legal then? Great! Thanks!

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Those signs are a hoot. They basically say that nothing's changed by posting the sign. Then it goes the extra mile with that "unless" clause. It's like a welcome mat! :biggrinjester:

Those signs are at each entrance to our local Walmart. When I go I always mentally wink at the sign and give appreciation for the green light.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

Teacherjoe wrote:
Teamless wrote:It's legal
I have a LTC so I'm legal then? Great! Thanks!
Yep, legal!
BTW, you will see these same signs at ANY restaurant (which is not 51%) or other store who sells any alcohol
Specs
HEB
Randalls
World Market
etc, etc, etc.
So get used to them.
Remember the key statement "who is NOT licensed under chapter...." which as an LTC'er, you ARE licensed under chapter....
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

Many people seem to think these signs are contradictory, but they are not. Unlicensed handgun carry in a location that sells alcohol in any form is carries a higher penalty than many other locations. So, it is just to be a reminder to those not licensed that it is more serious for them and to those licensed that it is not illegal.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote:Many people seem to think these signs are contradictory, but they are not. Unlicensed handgun carry in a location that sells alcohol in any form is carries a higher penalty than many other locations. So, it is just to be a reminder to those not licensed that it is more serious for them and to those licensed that it is not illegal.
The sign is not technically correct if it is suggesting that it is illegal (i.e. a crime) to carry a weapon other than a handgun or only to be able to carry if you are licensed under GC 411. A LEO on or off duty can carry. The owner may carry. Employees may carry if allowed by the owner. Non LTCs may carry rifles, etc. The store can lose their ABC license for knowingly allowing rifle carry, but it's not a crime. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

ScottDLS wrote:
Keith B wrote:Many people seem to think these signs are contradictory, but they are not. Unlicensed handgun carry in a location that sells alcohol in any form is carries a higher penalty than many other locations. So, it is just to be a reminder to those not licensed that it is more serious for them and to those licensed that it is not illegal.
The sign is not technically correct if it is suggesting that it is illegal (i.e. a crime) to carry a weapon other than a handgun or only to be able to carry if you are licensed under GC 411. A LEO on or off duty can carry. The owner may carry. Employees may carry if allowed by the owner. Non LTCs may carry rifles, etc. The store can lose their ABC license for knowingly allowing rifle carry, but it's not a crime. :rules:
Actually, I was talking about the regular 'Unlicensed possession' TABC sign.

Employees that don't have an LTC cannot carry a handgun unless they are in control of the property. The owner can't give permission to carry. Of course LEO's can carry, because they are licensed by TCOLE to carry.

I agree the sign in the OP's post is not technically accurate.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Actually, I was talking about the regular 'Unlicensed possession' TABC sign.

Employees that don't have an LTC cannot carry a handgun unless they are in control of the property. The owner can't give permission to carry. Of course LEO's can carry, because they are licensed by TCOLE to carry.

I agree the sign in the OP's post is not technically accurate.
Oh now I see, I was talking about the OP sign.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 4

Post by locke_n_load »

Just an FYI, Kroger is one of the biggest grocers that respect our rights.
They have not ever given in to mom's demand nonsense, and I have never seen a no-guns sign posted at their store, of any type, that wasn't required by law, nor asked for my LTC when carrying openly in any of their stores.

I shop there almost exclusively for groceries because of those reasons.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

locke_n_load wrote:Just an FYI, Kroger is one of the biggest grocers that respect our rights.
They have not ever given in to mom's demand nonsense, and I have never seen a no-guns sign posted at their store, of any type, that wasn't required by law, nor asked for my LTC when carrying openly in any of their stores.

I shop there almost exclusively for groceries because of those reasons.
I've never had an issue at Safeway(Tom Thumb)/Albertsons either...they must be close to 2nd largest. The ones with a problem seem to be Texas based ones like Brookshire's, HEB, Carnival...

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”