Throwing knives / Spikes

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Throwing knives / Spikes

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I am trying to get creative here. A local movie theater has recently changed ownership and the new owners posted 30.06 signage (old owners just had 30.07). I'm thinking they might want to look in a computer bag for food and whatnot so my Sub 2000 might not work. And the kids really like this particular theater.

Is it legal to possess throwing knives and / or throwing spikes in Texas if I am not carrying a handgun with my LTC?

Is it possible to learn to use these effectively for typical SD distances inside a theater (approx. 25 yards max)?

I could just rely on my EDC knife (not thowing), but the seats close to the entrances are not the best.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Throwing knives / Spikes

Post by WTR »

Redbox.....forget the Kung Foo crap.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I am trying to get creative here. A local movie theater has recently changed ownership and the new owners posted 30.06 signage (old owners just had 30.07). I'm thinking they might want to look in a computer bag for food and whatnot so my Sub 2000 might not work. And the kids really like this particular theater.

Is it legal to possess throwing knives and / or throwing spikes in Texas if I am not carrying a handgun with my LTC?

Is it possible to learn to use these effectively for typical SD distances inside a theater (approx. 25 yards max)?

I could just rely on my EDC knife (not thowing), but the seats close to the entrances are not the best.

Do they check women's purses, for "food and whatnot"? A backpack, or computer bag should be no different (sexual discrimination and all that)

If you are dead set on going to a theater, who wants to set up criminal friendly environments, I suggest the Sub 2000, over any type of fantasy throwing knives, or stars. They work great in Bruce Lee movies, but they can't be very effective at stopping a threat armed with a firearm. My kids, would have to start liking another theater. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I am trying to get creative here. A local movie theater has recently changed ownership and the new owners posted 30.06 signage (old owners just had 30.07). I'm thinking they might want to look in a computer bag for food and whatnot so my Sub 2000 might not work. And the kids really like this particular theater.

Any thought to contacting the new owners in an attempt to educate them as to why their posting of 30.06 is not a good idea?
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Any thought to contacting the new owners in an attempt to educate them as to why their posting of 30.06 is not a good idea?
Excellent suggestion. Perhaps reminding them that James Holmes targeted the theater he did because he knew that there would be little to no resistance from disarmed good guys.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

Unless you're on screen in the movies, I think golf balls would do more damage than most throwing knives.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

WTR wrote:Redbox.....forget the Kung Foo crap.
HA!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Get a red cross first aid card so you can ignore the 30.06 sign at the movies AND help people who hurt themselves with throwing knives. :biggrinjester:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

ninjabread wrote:Get a red cross first aid card so you can ignore the 30.06 sign at the movies AND help people who hurt themselves with throwing knives. :biggrinjester:
Hahahahahahahaha! "rlol" that made me laugh out loud!!!!!!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I could be wrong, but I don't think I have ever seen an actual report of someone being successfully attacked by throwing stars, whether they came from the good guy or the bad guy.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If you're concerned to the extent you seem to be, why go there?

Kids being kids adapt quickly to going elsewhere.

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:

Any thought to contacting the new owners in an attempt to educate them as to why their posting of 30.06 is not a good idea?
The new owners are Regal Cinemas, so probably not worth the effort. But I will probably send them an e-mail. In the mean time, the last two movies were at a different theater that does not have any 30.06 signage.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Throwing knives are currently illegal in Texas. I think they will be legal September 1st under the new knife laws.

As someone who has taken the time to learn to throw knives pretty well, I can tell you that it takes a great deal of practice and is still not something you would want to rely on for self defense, even once you get pretty proficient. A lot of it comes down to judging distance to target, and a moving target, particularly moving toward you, would be very hard to hit reliably.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I would rather carry one of those little 22 LR mini-revolvers than throwing knives. But I guess you were looking for an alternative for walking past a 30.06 sign.

Just carry a replica black powder revolver and explain that it isn't a firearm by the govt definition. :mrgreen:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:And the kids really like this particular theater.
I didn't get to do everything I wanted to as a kid, and it was actually good for me.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”