Throwing knives / Spikes

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Throwing knives / Spikes

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LucasMcCain wrote:Throwing knives are currently illegal in Texas. I think they will be legal September 1st under the new knife laws.

As someone who has taken the time to learn to throw knives pretty well, I can tell you that it takes a great deal of practice and is still not something you would want to rely on for self defense, even once you get pretty proficient. A lot of it comes down to judging distance to target, and a moving target, particularly moving toward you, would be very hard to hit reliably.
Are you sure about this? They sell them at Academy.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Flightmare »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
LucasMcCain wrote:Throwing knives are currently illegal in Texas. I think they will be legal September 1st under the new knife laws.

As someone who has taken the time to learn to throw knives pretty well, I can tell you that it takes a great deal of practice and is still not something you would want to rely on for self defense, even once you get pretty proficient. A lot of it comes down to judging distance to target, and a moving target, particularly moving toward you, would be very hard to hit reliably.
I believe they sell bowie knives as well, but until the September 1st law takes place, they are illegal to carry.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Lynyrd wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:And the kids really like this particular theater.
I didn't get to do everything I wanted to as a kid, and it was actually good for me.
At the risk of going off on a tangent, I agree with you. But the problem is that in my family I am merely one of two joint rulers. And I suspect that I may be a bit of a figurehead while my wife has all the real power.

To quote a movie "Yes, the man is the head of the family, but the woman is the neck. And the neck can move the head any way it wants."

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Flightmare wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I believe they sell bowie knives as well, but until the September 1st law takes place, they are illegal to carry.
Illegal to carry, I understand. But I took the bolded part I quoted to say that they were illegal to even possess, which made it seem illogical that a store would be able to sell them (or even have them in inventory).

Javier730
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Javier730 »

LucasMcCain wrote: As someone who has taken the time to learn to throw knives pretty well, I can tell you that it takes a great deal of practice and is still not something you would want to rely on for self defense, even once you get pretty proficient. A lot of it comes down to judging distance to target, and a moving target, particularly moving toward you, would be very hard to hit reliably.
:iagree: I am pretty good at throwing both spin and no spin. Even though I'm pretty good with throwing knives, I couldn't imagine using them against a bad guy and with a firearm.

Just find another theatre.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

rotor

Post by rotor »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

Illegal to carry, I understand. But I took the bolded part I quoted to say that they were illegal to even possess, which made it seem illogical that a store would be able to sell them (or even have them in inventory).
Academy sells batons too. You can own but carry is questionable and many times debated here.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: But the problem is that in my family I am merely one of two joint rulers. And I suspect that I may be a bit of a figurehead while my wife has all the real power.

To quote a movie "Yes, the man is the head of the family, but the woman is the neck. And the neck can move the head any way it wants."
"I'm the Captain of my house! And right over there is my wife the Admiral!" :mrgreen:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I meant illegal to carry. Sorry about that.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

If I absolutely have to go somewhere that I can not carry, I make sure I have my hardwood cane with a wide hook for handling. Takes practice for proficiency, but so does shooting.
P.S. I have enough gray on my head that it is not questioned. It goes right thru TSA also.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

twomillenium wrote:If I absolutely have to go somewhere that I can not carry, I make sure I have my hardwood cane with a wide hook for handling. Takes practice for proficiency, but so does shooting.
P.S. I have enough gray on my head that it is not questioned. It goes right thru TSA also.
I have a 3 ft. heartwood of Cedar walking stick that serves that purpose. It has also made it through the check points, Pre-TSA. I haven't flown since 2000.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Interblog
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Interblog »

An update to this thread - a piece by Texas Tribune that talks about knife throwing in particular. I'm sorta surprised that it's not more of a sport than it is. It's a skill that can be practiced in one's back yard with a minimum of investment.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/09/12 ... -freedoms/

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Interblog wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 am It's a skill that can be practiced in one's back yard with a minimum of investment.
practiced, not mastered... IMO with a "minimum of investment" you can't even practice SAFELY in your back yard (assuming you live in town). :lol: it's a skill few have mastered.

Interblog
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Interblog »

flechero wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:19 am
Interblog wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 am It's a skill that can be practiced in one's back yard with a minimum of investment.
practiced, not mastered... IMO with a "minimum of investment" you can't even practice SAFELY in your back yard (assuming you live in town). :lol: it's a skill few have mastered.
I'm curious as to what specific barriers you see to safe practice.

About a 80 bucks gets a couple of cheap practice throwing knife sets, and a chop saw plus about 15 bucks worth of four-by-fours and plywood can be used to create a large end grain practice target.

And of course it's a skill few have mastered. Exactly the same statement applies to firearm marksmanship, too.

flechero
Posts in topic: 4

Post by flechero »

Interblog wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:51 am
I'm curious as to what specific barriers you see to safe practice.
I has halfway tongue in cheek but honestly- bounce off the wood backstops/targets is the main issue. I enrolled my son in an axe and knife throwing class since it sounded really cool... and like a good dad, I had to do it too, so I could keep an eye on him! :lol: Anyway, even the instructors had mediocre results and the knives bounce really far when they don't stick. Even the lead guy was less than 50%. And the harder you throw it, the further and higher they bounce! The axe was pretty easy and after a few tries, I went 3 for 4 into the target. (the axe didn't bounce far) I never got the knife to stick- but I caused a few of us to dance on the ricochets!! :shock:

I can see a safe backstop if made from something that would not bounce... maybe a thick pad like a weightlifting mat or truck bed mat hung up.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

While throwing knives, may be a fun pastime, using them as defensive weapons, would not be my first choice. Throwing knives at a stationary, target, a prescribed distance away, you could be come proficient with enough practice, but people very seldom attack, from a set distance, and very seldom do they stand still, especially if they see something thrown at them. Not only that, you are throwing away a potential weapon, that may come back at you. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”