UCW in a 51% location

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Re: UCW in a 51% location

Post by ninjabread »

nimravus01 wrote:I've just been made privy to a case of UCW in a 51% location by license holder in my area. This happened today. The preliminary info is that the defendant is a member of a certain fraternal organization. This organization owns and operates a lodge that is licenced by the TABC as a 51% location. The defendant (and probably a lot of other members of this lodge) regularly carries his pistol on the premises.
You can take the boy out of the frat but you can't take the frat out of the boy.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
nimravus01
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nimravus01 »

He's getting bonded out today. I know I'll see him on Monday, so I can get his side of the story first hand.

Topic author
nimravus01
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nimravus01 »

I jave an update. I'll try to sum it up:

Let me just say that the defendant was carrying under permission of the lodge president, (Can that even be a defense under the 51% law?), In the performance of his duties as Seargent at arms. The verba altercation that lead to the police being called was in connection to lodge bylaws violations. The incident was over before police even arrived on scene and the defendant was outside the premises at the time.

That's all I know for now. We're waiting to see what the DA does.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

nimravus01 wrote:I jave an update. I'll try to sum it up:

Let me just say that the defendant was carrying under permission of the lodge president, (Can that even be a defense under the 51% law?), In the performance of his duties as Seargent at arms. The verba altercation that lead to the police being called was in connection to lodge bylaws violations. The incident was over before police even arrived on scene and the defendant was outside the premises at the time.

That's all I know for now. We're waiting to see what the DA does.
If he was outside when the police arrived they have a pretty thin case on him carrying on the "premises" of a 51% location. I'd think they need more than just the complaintant saying that he saw him inside with a gun.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

That sounds like pretty good news. I hope the "brother" that started this will be excommunicated from the family.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

If he was in control of the bar area (under direction of the lodge president) where they serve alcohol, then he has an exception to the law. Sounds like he should be good to go even if inside.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”