what knife are you carrying on friday?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Re: what knife are you carrying on friday?

Post by ELB »

I moved all my HHG recently, and a lot of things are still unpacked. But if I can find it, I will break out the fixed blade I inherited from my Dad. He brought it back from New Caledonia, where he was stationed for part of the time during WWII. It was made by a local New Caledonian using a GI truck spring for the blade and an antler from some kind of native deer. Also a leather sheath again from local cattle. It's probably close to 12" overall length, and really quite a solid knife. Double edge, symmetrical spear point, looks pretty good especially for having formed the blade by grinding it on a rock!
USAF 1982-2005

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

My Benchmade 154CM. It is my newest Benchmade and I love it. It is very light.

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Boker Turbine as usually.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Same as always. Spyderco delica 4 and Great Eastern cutlery Scout.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Benchmade socp

TANSTAAFL

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Good now I can stick an AKM-74 bayonet under my tantal at all times
:biggrinjester:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

These, except for the two. Those have certain spots at home where I keep them.
EDC-1.jpg
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

imkopaka

Post by imkopaka »

You know, despite my desire to OC my handgun whenever and wherever I can, I feel no compulsion to carry either of my bayonets, my Ka-Bar, or my sword in public. My Kershaw folding knife is more than enough for use as a tool or last resort weapon, and as Hick's law states: as reaction choices increase, reaction time increases. I wouldn't want to carry a knife that can serve no purpose aside from being a weapon unless I was barred from carrying a gun.

Speaking of which, I haven't been able to look into this law closely yet. I know that I cannot carry a "location restricted knife" anywhere listed in TPC 46.03, but what of 30.06/30.07? Has any concession been made to the anti-gun businesses that would now like to keep out knives as well, or can I carry my bayonet in a 30.06/07 business without legal interference? Because if I HAD to disarm...grumble :grumble grumble...I suppose a BIG OL' knife would be better than going fisticuffs with someone. :boxing
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I've not been keeping up with this law. I've had one of these for about 30 years and only use it camping, but haven't thought about carrying it. Will it be legal tomorrow?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

von Clausewitz

Post by von Clausewitz »

Benchmade Infidel

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I think I know where I stand but I have never actually researched the legality of my everyday knife. I carry what I carry for primal reasons, not the pretty ballet of courtroom repartee.

My skills are hard to measure, because they are applied against unseen revetments, executed under cloak of defilade feared and misunderstood. My skills are the result of decades of secret indoctrination by mentors in dark colleges where the most gifted pupils have no identity and leave no forensic evidence.

Carry your K-Bar or your katana for defense of the mere physical. Your walks will be safe from dull-witted thugs.

But will you and your bank account be safe from that fat guy, over there where you weren't looking, with the coke-bottle glasses and the overloaded urban backpack, the one with a stick-on tattoo of an eight inch floppy disk reading, "Where no SAN has gone before?"

WIth a multitool and a beat-up laptop I am unstoppable. Save for the fact I do not hack for criminal purposes and I take pains in all my endeavors not to harm anyone, I am that fat apex digital predator nobody notices until it's too late.

This is the Internet. I am a nerd. I carry a Leatherman.

Seriously, it's delightful knife laws are eased. Crime is the problem, not nice metallurgy. I fondly remember the first time I went through a metal detector at the old Robert Mueller Airport in Austin. I pitched my Buck lockback in the little plastic tray, walked through the metal detector, and tucked my knife back in its belt pouch for the flight. No laws or regulations against having it on my person in the plane at that time. Of course, the new State laws can't extend freedom quite that far.

Add pliers and screwdriver bits to a lockback, though, and for me it's an assault weapon. You can't have my Leatherman.

From my cold, dead robotic manipulators, man. That's the only way anyone is getting my multitool.

:biggrinjester:

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

The same one I carry on Monday. It has a button lock 3-1/2" blade, has a decent size handle with checkered scales and a finger groove. I'm too old to get in a knife fight, but It serves me for utility purposes and would be better than my old Case Barlow if worse came to worse. Of course it's a PUMA.

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

Most are focused on the size of the blade with the passing of the new law, but, don't forget that dirks, daggers, stilettos etc. are now legal. So break out your double edge blades. I see a few pictures above with some dagger types.

rentz

Post by rentz »

LDB415 wrote:These, except for the two. Those have certain spots at home where I keep them.
EDC-1.jpg
i see someone has a spyderco addiction :tiphat:

rentz

Post by rentz »

i'm getting a mean hankerin to buy a Bowie knife now....not that i'd ever carry something that big, but knowing i can is good enough

and there have been several OTF opening blades i've really wanted but couldnt get because they were daggers which had been illegal in tx, so now i can get those

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”