State Fair - Again

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Caliber
Posts in topic: 1

State Fair - Again

Post by Caliber »

Read the paragraph below from the State Fair's website.

I was under the impression (from last year) that a private entity that leases property from a governmental entity may post 30.06/30.07. However, the signs have no force of law. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

With the recently enacted open-carry law, the State Fair of Texas considered whether to allow openly carried handguns during the Fair. After carefully considering the issue, the Fair has decided to prohibit open carry, while continuing to allow concealed carry. This decision is consistent with an August 9, 2016 opinion letter issued by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, in which the Attorney General confirmed that the law which prohibits the government from banning handguns from most government property (Texas Government Code 411.209) applies only to bans implemented by the government and does not override the rights of a private entity that happens to operate on property leased from the government. In that situation, the private entity is no different than any other business operating on private property.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Re: State Fair - Again

Post by Jusme »

IANAL, and I don't think it has been tested, but, that is my understanding also. Now, will that understanding, and interpretation, prevent someone from either being asked to "cover up", or being removed from the fair? I don't know. I didn't go to the fair last year, but the year before, I CC with no issues. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I will let you know how it plays out for me. We are going with a group, first time, this year and I have a bag that includes a blow-out kit, a G43 with 3 mags, a flashlight and a folding knife. :eek6
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

apostate

Post by apostate »

I want to know why those Yankees are even allowed to call their event the Texas State Fair?

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Bitter Clinger wrote:I will let you know how it plays out for me. We are going with a group, first time, this year and I have a bag that includes a blow-out kit, a G43 with 3 mags, a flashlight and a folding knife. :eek6
Don't take DART..

We did a few years back... HOO BOY... Not a lot of fun coming back at night from the Fairgrounds station up to the Plano area...

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

My understanding also was the private entity was allowed to post but that it carries no force of law and P.D. can't enforce it!
You might take a copy of the AG's ruling and highlight the pertenant parts!
BC good luck let us know cause the wife wants to go to the Fair this year!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Tex1961 wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:I will let you know how it plays out for me. We are going with a group, first time, this year and I have a bag that includes a blow-out kit, a G43 with 3 mags, a flashlight and a folding knife. :eek6
Don't take DART..

We did a few years back... HOO BOY... Not a lot of fun coming back at night from the Fairgrounds station up to the Plano area...
Thx. If we were planning to take Dart I would bring more ammo.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Tex1961 wrote:
Don't take DART..

Thx. If we were planning to take Dart I would bring more ammo.

I drove to Ft.Worth, got on the TRE and then took a DART train to the fair. (wasn't going to pay the parking prices, or risk damage,etc in Dallas) Other than being crowded, Jusme Jr. and I had no issues, but we left, before dark. My experience with DART trains has always been positive, most have a DART LEO on board, and have never experienced any issues. However, it has all been during daylight hours. I just know that carry is allowed on all trains, buses,etc.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I really don't see why the Fair is allowing handgun carry concealed, or otherwise. At it's heart the State Fair of Texas is an educational institution, a school, an amusement park, a zoo, and a church. That along with having 100s of 51% licensees with the entire of Fair Park as their licensed "premises". Also with local ISD's giving a day off for the Fair, it is a School Sponsored Event 100 times over. No one should carry unless they wish to risk dahh..duhh.dahhh....!!! "THE RIDE". All it takes is a well informed cop and Dallas DA with an attitude armed with KP-108 and a judges "feeling" that guns should not be at the Fair. All you gun nuts carrying your dangerous assault weapons at the Fair are committing a felony.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ScottDLS wrote:I really don't see why the Fair is allowing handgun carry concealed, or otherwise. At it's heart the State Fair of Texas is an educational institution, a school, an amusement park, a zoo, and a church. That along with having 100s of 51% licensees with the entire of Fair Park as their licensed "premises". Also with local ISD's giving a day off for the Fair, it is a School Sponsored Event 100 times over. No one should carry unless they wish to risk dahh..duhh.dahhh....!!! "THE RIDE". All it takes is a well informed cop and Dallas DA with an attitude armed with KP-108 and a judges "feeling" that guns should not be at the Fair. All you gun nuts carrying your dangerous assault weapons at the Fair are committing a felony.

"rlol" "rlol"

Won't be long until we are considered "terrorists" and won't be able to ride the ferris wheel, you know, because of the tactical advantage of being so high above the crowd. :smilelol5:

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

The HOT fair is at it again too:

New Security Policies

We want our guests to have a great time at the Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo.We want to do everything we can to make your experience a safe and positive one.We also expect you to respect our home.
Guests to Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo should be mindful of the following:
NEW this year, all guests entering will be subject to a metal detection wand and bag check in an effort to ensure the safety of those attending the Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo at the Extraco Events Center.
Weapons and sharp metal objects, such as large knives, scissors and the like, are not allowed. In accordance with the State of Texas laws that protect "premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place," handguns are never permitted inside the Extraco Events Center.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

If the AG hasn't sued these jack wagons yet, the only logical conclusion is he approves of them violating our civil rights under color of law.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

ninjabread wrote:If the AG hasn't sued these jack wagons yet, the only logical conclusion is he approves of them violating our civil rights under color of law.

The AG has no intention of enforcing the law. The law should have never been written giving the AG the job of enforcement. It was written so ambiguously, that, unless a citizen, can show actual harm, nothing will be done. :mad5

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jason812 wrote:The HOT fair is at it again too:

New Security Policies

We want our guests to have a great time at the Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo.We want to do everything we can to make your experience a safe and positive one.We also expect you to respect our home.
Guests to Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo should be mindful of the following:
NEW this year, all guests entering will be subject to a metal detection wand and bag check in an effort to ensure the safety of those attending the Heart O’ Texas Fair & Rodeo at the Extraco Events Center.
Weapons and sharp metal objects, such as large knives, scissors and the like, are not allowed. In accordance with the State of Texas laws that protect "premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place," handguns are never permitted inside the Extraco Events Center.
The rodeo part makes it a professional sporting event, so will be off limits for that portion.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

Keith B wrote:
The rodeo part makes it a professional sporting event, so will be off limits for that portion.
The rodeo is inside the colosseum and you have to purchase separate tickets to go in. The colosseum is posted with both signs permanently even though the grounds are publicly owned.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”