13%
31 and up
13%

Total votes: 167

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll - How many rounds?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Under the principle that 1 is 0, and 2 is 1, I always carry at least one spare magazine. So the number of rounds depends on what gun I’m carrying.

With my G43, I carry 1 extra round with a +2 extender.

With my G26, I always carry 2 extra mags with +2 pinkey extenders, and the one in the gun also has a +2 extender.

With my G19, I carry 1 or 2 spares, depending on how I feel.

With my G17, I’m set up to carry 4 backups, and all 5 mags have +2 extenders.......but that’s my “I’m expecting trouble and may need to fight my way to my AR” gun. But the truth is that I rarely carry that gun anymore, and when I do, I almost never carry more than one spare mag.

But the point of all that is that some of the most common kinds of mechanical failures in semiauto pistols are magazine related. If the malfunction won’t clear, the fastest way to fix the problem is to drop the mag and insert a fresh one. But despite having all those spare mags, I don’t actually expect to need that many rounds. However, one of the things I’ve learned here, and from other friends of mine who have seen the elephant and exchanged fire with him, there’s no such thing as too much ammo unless you’re swimming for your life. My daily carry routine, about 95% of the time, alternates between the G43 and one backup mag, or the G26 and two backup mags.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bobby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bobby »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bobby wrote:Shield 9mm 10 in pistol and 20 extra in 2 spare mags total of 30
1911a1 45acp 8 in pistol and 14 in 2 extra mags total of 22

:patriot:
Do you have magguts in your mags?

yes I do and they work great!

ImageUntitled by bobbyjmestepey, on Flickr
:txflag:

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Lynyrd »

srothstein wrote:The result that I find most interesting is that almost everyone carries one reload with them most of the time. There were a few exceptions that carry two and a few with no reloads, but the majority is overwhelmingly whatever the weapon capacity is plus one spare magazine.

This seems reasonable to me and is what I do, but it was interesting to see that it is the most common way also.
One spare mag is also my normal carry. I use a belt pouch for the spare. And with a gun on one side, and my phone and a spare mag on the weak side, my belt is full with the exception of the area above my pockets. I have been asking myself if I should carry two spare mags when the gun I'm carrying uses a 7 round mag.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

70% of the time - Glock 26 - 10+1 and a 17 round mag in a pocket or mag holster = 28
20% of the time - Glock 19 - 15+1 and a 17 round mag in a pocket or mag holster = 33
10% of the time - Glock 17 - 17+1 and a 17 round mag in a pocket or mag holster = 35

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

bobby wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:
bobby wrote:Shield 9mm 10 in pistol and 20 extra in 2 spare mags total of 30
1911a1 45acp 8 in pistol and 14 in 2 extra mags total of 22

:patriot:
Do you have magguts in your mags?

yes I do and they work great!

ImageUntitled by bobbyjmestepey, on Flickr
I'm going to have to give those a try. Squeezing in a couple of extra rounds wouldn't be a bad idea.
Psalm 91:2

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

31 minimum.
14rds plus 17rds

I will give you an idea. In personal protection matches, we have up to 12 targets, each needs 2 shots with at least 1 shot dead center or 1 head shot.
Your needs differ if you miss a lot at 10 yards.
Last edited by Beiruty on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Carried on my person: 13+1 of 45 ACP in primary + 13+1 of 45 ACP in secondary + 10+1 of 45 ACP in tertiary + (4) magazines at 13 each of 45 ACP + (2) magazines at 10 each of 45 ACP. That is 111 rounds all day every day ... except when I go to Walmart. Then I just start dumping loose ammo into my pockets and socks.

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

montgomery wrote:Carried on my person: 13+1 of 45 ACP in primary + 13+1 of 45 ACP in secondary + 10+1 of 45 ACP in tertiary + (4) magazines at 13 each of 45 ACP + (2) magazines at 10 each of 45 ACP. That is 111 rounds all day every day ... except when I go to Walmart. Then I just start dumping loose ammo into my pockets and socks.
I hear Kabul is nice this time of year. :shock:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The carry of Glock or any other mid to large pistol would bother my back towards the end of the day. A LEO buddy told me to wear a counter balance and it was a fantastic difference! I carry the G19 15 +1 and two G17 mags as counter balance (34 rnds) totaling 50 rounds. However, I do realize that if I ever need 50 rounds, I am in a situation that will not allow me to get to the 50th round. But hey, what if I am wrong?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

srothstein wrote:The result that I find most interesting is that almost everyone carries one reload with them most of the time. There were a few exceptions that carry two and a few with no reloads, but the majority is overwhelmingly whatever the weapon capacity is plus one spare magazine.

This seems reasonable to me and is what I do, but it was interesting to see that it is the most common way also.
IMO, it is the easy to carry one spare mag in a pocket and I feel better having some backup. I can't see carrying two unless I graduate to a mag holder.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

When I carry either of my XD(m)'s:

.45 9+1 gun, 9 spare mag, 19 total
9mm 13+1 gun, 13 spare mag, 27 total
NRA Life Member

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

TVGuy wrote:
montgomery wrote:Carried on my person: 13+1 of 45 ACP in primary + 13+1 of 45 ACP in secondary + 10+1 of 45 ACP in tertiary + (4) magazines at 13 each of 45 ACP + (2) magazines at 10 each of 45 ACP. That is 111 rounds all day every day ... except when I go to Walmart. Then I just start dumping loose ammo into my pockets and socks.
I hear Kabul is nice this time of year. :shock:
LOL - a LEO buddy of mine carries no less than (7) pistols when he is off duty. I feel unarmed standing next to him.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Snip... "But the point of all that is that some of the most common kinds of mechanical failures in semiauto pistols are magazine related. If the malfunction won’t clear, the fastest way to fix the problem is to drop the mag and insert a fresh one." ...Snip
:iagree:

I've learned this from experience myself. So even if you don't feel like you need the additional rounds, the second mag could be a life saver (literally!).

7+1, plus another mag of 7 for me. The extra mag is in a small nylon belt pouch on my weak side. Looks like a multi-tool to someone who doesn't know. All in .45 ACP.

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

Usually carry a G19 with (1) 15 round magazine in weapon and (2) 15 round spare magazines total of 45 rounds. Thats generally what I carry though sometimes it increases or decreases depending on weather, wardrobe, and destination.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

70% of the time (i.e., Monday through Friday) I carry fifteen rounds of .357 magnum distributed in three different revolvers.

The other 30% of the time it is only one or two revolvers.

So I answered in the 11 to 14 category.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”