"Gun-Buster" Sign Legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Gun-Buster" Sign Legal?

Post by thetexan »

Gun buster signs have zero legal force. They mean nothing to you as an LTC. Nothing. Except to inform you that the owner apparently doesn't want guns in his establishment. Wonderful. That owner is BOUND...

Let me repeat... That owner is BOUND...

I don't think you heard me...that owner is BOUND legally, ethically, statutorily, and any other way you can think of...

B O U N D.....

To notify you of his exercising his sovereign right to prohibit you from entering his property with a gun by following the procedures established by state law to do so...namely 30.06 and 30.07.

I am not interested in his DESIRE to not have guns on his property any more than he is interested in my DESIRE to carry a gun on his property. What we both have in common is a set of statutes that specify where and when I may carry and the same group of statutes that specify where and when the owner may prohibit me from carrying.

Yes there is case law. Not only in this specific area but also in trespass 30.05 situations and in other non-related non weapon cases where wording of a notice is specific and a required element of the statute.

Remember, the owner and LTC are BOUND by the same rules. The owner doesn't get a pass just because he thinks a gun buster sign is cool.

Note: This has nothing to do with whether you are arrested and take the ride. If you are legal you will prevail. Show me a LEO who arrests you because you carried past a gun buster sign and I will show you a LEO who does not know his statutes. But you may still take the ride.

Know the statutes and the law and carry with confidence.

One last note. Do not take this as encouragement to have an "in your face", self-righteous, belligerent attitude. Always try to be gracious and understanding. But don't let that deprive you of your rights.

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Mike S
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike S »

thetexan wrote:Gun buster signs have zero legal force. They mean nothing to you as an LTC. Nothing. Except to inform you that the owner apparently doesn't want guns in his establishment. Wonderful. That owner is BOUND...

Let me repeat... That owner is BOUND...

I don't think you heard me...that owner is BOUND legally, ethically, statutorily, and any other way you can think of...

B O U N D.....

To notify you of his exercising his sovereign right to prohibit you from entering his property with a gun by following the procedures established by state law to do so...namely 30.06 and 30.07.

I am not interested in his DESIRE to not have guns on his property any more than he is interested in my DESIRE to carry a gun on his property. What we both have in common is a set of statutes that specify where and when I may carry and the same group of statutes that specify where and when the owner may prohibit me from carrying.

Yes there is case law. Not only in this specific area but also in trespass 30.05 situations and in other non-related non weapon cases where wording of a notice is specific and a required element of the statute.

Remember, the owner and LTC are BOUND by the same rules. The owner doesn't get a pass just because he thinks a gun buster sign is cool.

Note: This has nothing to do with whether you are arrested and take the ride. If you are legal you will prevail. Show me a LEO who arrests you because you carried past a gun buster sign and I will show you a LEO who does not know his statutes. But you may still take the ride.

Know the statutes and the law and carry with confidence.

One last note. Do not take this as encouragement to have an "in your face", self-righteous, belligerent attitude. Always try to be gracious and understanding. But don't let that deprive you of your rights.

Tex
Please post the relevant case law regarding .06/.07, as well as for .05 as it relates to licensed/unlicensed carry of a firearm. That would be the first time I've seen it, & I would like to add those to my reference materials. It would also provide better debunking material for those who say there's case law to support the counter view, such as the OPs Instructor.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:So 'intent' equals the force of law?

Who knew..?

P.S, I'm still walking past gun buster signs.
Apparently so. So in the handful of cases where LEO's have been told they were not welcome at XYZ establishment, I suppose those LEO's should have been arrested for trespass if they didn't leave immediately, and instead asked for a manager, etc.? This whole thing is complete and total bull and is the type of thing that calls into question whether we should have any required "training" at all.

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

I recommend people read this forum to learn the law and then get a license from another state because Texas DPS either doesn't know the law or they intentionally break the law. Either way, it's best to avoid their fudge cluster.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

bigtek wrote:I recommend people read this forum to learn the law and then get a license from another state because Texas DPS either doesn't know the law or they intentionally break the law. Either way, it's best to avoid their fudge cluster.
Ok, I'll bite. How does having a license from another state solve the problem? You still have to follow Texas laws in Texas.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

How does it help to throw more money at a broken system? I'm not a Democrat. :biggrinjester:

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CleverNickname »

thetexan wrote:Gun buster signs have zero legal force. They mean nothing to you as an LTC. Nothing. Except to inform you that the owner apparently doesn't want guns in his establishment.
Not necessarily. Let's say you see this sign posted somewhere:

Does it mean:
1. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like guns."
2. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like guns, and we don't want anyone carrying them here."
3. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like Beretta 92's."
4. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like semi-auto pistols."
5. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like semi-auto pistols if they're not carried cocked & locked."

An argument could be made for any of those. Anything other than a legit 30.06 or 30.07 sign is ambiguous at best.

cedarparkdad987
Banned

Post by cedarparkdad987 »

Legality aside I would take the sign at its word that they do not want my money, and would stay away. Additionally, I have no desire to be a test case.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

CleverNickname wrote:
thetexan wrote:Gun buster signs have zero legal force. They mean nothing to you as an LTC. Nothing. Except to inform you that the owner apparently doesn't want guns in his establishment.

Does it mean:
2. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like guns, and we don't want anyone carrying them here."
5. "The owner/management of this properly doesn't like semi-auto pistols if they're not carried cocked & locked."

An argument could be made for any of those. Anything other than a legit 30.06 or 30.07 sign is ambiguous at best.

And possibly 20 other things...

What it DOES NOT mean is that I am prohibited from exercising my right to LTC carry a gun on the premises.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

CleverNickname wrote:

Does it mean:

It means that they have no Beretta's for sale at the moment. Maybe they just ran out?

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:

Does it mean:

It means that they have no Beretta's for sale at the moment. Maybe they just ran out?
Are you sure? It looks more like a Taurus PT 92 to me.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 3

Post by treadlightly »

CleverNickname wrote:

Does it mean:

There's only a pistol under the slash. I don't see a pistol and a license card. Obviously it means no unlicensed carry.

Seriously, there are businesses who post deliberately noncompliant signs because they aren't anti gun, they just don't want to scare off customers with unhealthy phobias about inert mechanical devices. The best examples are the friendly "you're cool but please don't open carry" signs.

Cabela's in Waco used to have a gun check bench at the entrance. There was a sign at the entrance indicating defensive carry firearms didn't need to be checked.

The range of property owner's wishes is too great to be trusted to mind reading. A hoplophobe who refuses to post workable, enforceable signs is (according to his philosophy, not mine) failing to protect his precious sheeply patrons. He should consider himself irresponsible with guns.

I would not expect to be ticketed for failing to come to a full stop at a sign shaped like a unicorn with the wording "Here abide your turn." A standard octagon and the word "Stop" works so much better.

If you don't want my icon of freedom on your property, post 30.06 and 30.07. Problem solved. If it means that much to you, do the right thing and post clearly enforceable signage. Otherwise, be content with some of your most honest customers, ones that wouldn't think of shoplifting, wandering your aisles with certain concealed artifacts.

Frankly, I suspect that one motivation behind the anti-sign movement is entrapment. I bet there are anti-gun people out there who don't just want me off their property, they want me to suffer for my knuckle-dragging ways. The idea of not putting up a standard sign may be intriguing to some people, an expression of hope they can some day trip up a gun carrier.

If they are that venomous in their view of gun rights, they may be cruel in other ways. Avoid them.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I learned in class a year and a half ago that the gun buster sign applies to UNLICENSED carry. That is what I will continue to follow. AND HB 435! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

kw5kw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kw5kw »

:iagree:
TreyHouston wrote:I learned in class a year and a half ago that the gun buster sign applies to UNLICENSED carry. That is what I will continue to follow. AND HB 435! :thumbs2:
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

kw5kw wrote::iagree:
TreyHouston wrote:I learned in class a year and a half ago that the gun buster sign applies to UNLICENSED carry. That is what I will continue to follow. AND HB 435! :thumbs2:
It is reminding unlicensed carry that they already should not be carrying in that establishment.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”