"Gun-Buster" Sign Legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Re: "Gun-Buster" Sign Legal?

Post by allisji »

Flightmare wrote:
treadlightly wrote:My favorite gunbuster sign is in the Freddy's burger joint in Waco. It says something like, "For the comfort of all our customers, we respectfully ask that you not openly carry firearms in Freddy's."
I saw a similar sign outside of a Taco Cabana recently.
I see them a lot at the local fast-casual dining establishments around me.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

OP: Please, take the time to notify the appropriate authorities regarding this rogue cop's declaration of arrest when he knows no law has been broken.

All this talk about concealed is concealed or if asked to leave if discovered carrying isn't germane.

This cop's attitude needs authoritative instruction of an arrest he isn't authorized to make. Period.

Let me be a bit absurd to further make my point: How about if this same cop stated he'd arrest you if you didn't stop every time before crossing RR tracks, much like school buses are required to do, because HE thinks you should and if not, why he'd arrest you if he witnessed you simply driving over the tracks without stopping first.

Yeah, that sounds a bit of a stretch and so's his attitude regarding non-compliant, no gun signs, but would arrest you if you walked past one and later discovered to be carrying.

This is only one thing you know about him that's wrong. What else might he be in the wrong about and arrest an innocent for what he doesn't like...?

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

Abraham wrote:OP: Please, take the time to notify the appropriate authorities regarding this rogue cop's declaration of arrest when he knows no law has been broken.

All this talk about concealed is concealed or if asked to leave if discovered carrying isn't germane.

This cop's attitude needs authoritative instruction of an arrest he isn't authorized to make. Period.

Let me be a bit absurd to further make my point: How about if this same cop stated he'd arrest you if you didn't stop every time before crossing RR tracks, much like school buses are required to do, because HE thinks you should and if not, why he'd arrest you if he witnessed you simply driving over the tracks without stopping first.

Yeah, that sounds a bit of a stretch and so's his attitude regarding non-compliant, no gun signs, but would arrest you if you walked past one and later discovered to be carrying.

This is only one thing you know about him that's wrong. What else might he be in the wrong about and arrest an innocent for what he doesn't like...?
:iagree: Cops like this give other cops a bad name and are the cause of some/much of the racial discord evident in our country today. Just sayin'...
Last edited by Oldgringo on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

If you don't want to notify Internal Affairs at his agency to help them avoid a lawsuit for false arrest, because maybe they deserve one, at least please notify the DPS training division so they can correct his flawed instruction for future students. Those innocent LTC students don't deserve to suffer a bad a instructor.
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!
Kavanaugh is here to stay!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Nutcracker wrote:If you don't want to notify Internal Affairs at his agency to help them avoid a lawsuit for false arrest, because maybe they deserve one, at least please notify the DPS training division so they can correct his flawed instruction for future students. Those innocent LTC students don't deserve to suffer a bad a instructor.
It will not do any good. DPS tells instructors that any 'no guns' sign is notification, legal or not, so they will not take action on an instructor teaching this.

As for going after the instructor/LEO for his statement, until he actually follows though with an arrest, it's just hearsay and I seriously doubt the department would do anything pre-arrest either.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

Keith B wrote:
Nutcracker wrote:If you don't want to notify Internal Affairs at his agency to help them avoid a lawsuit for false arrest, because maybe they deserve one, at least please notify the DPS training division so they can correct his flawed instruction for future students. Those innocent LTC students don't deserve to suffer a bad a instructor.
It will not do any good. DPS tells instructors that any 'no guns' sign is notification, legal or not, so they will not take action on an instructor teaching this.
That's bizarre. Is it because the blind are leading the blind or is it a malicious us vs them agenda? I'm pretty sure DPS doesn't teach that any 'no guns' sign prohibits police from entering with a gun unless they have a warrant.
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

Keith B wrote:
If this is accurate, it's very disappointing. It's even worse than an individual officer making up his own laws and interpretations. It needs to be addressed.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
If this is accurate, it's very disappointing. It's even worse than an individual officer making up his own laws and interpretations. It needs to be addressed.
I do not know who told Keith B this, but I have not experienced any such notification from the DPS.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

twomillenium wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
I do not know who told Keith B this, but I have not experienced any such notification from the DPS.
I just finished up the New LTC Instructor course today. I can tell you first hand that what Keith said is exactly what we were told - and this was reinforced by multiple instructors.

They told us in no uncertain terms that (a) gunbuster signs, (b) “No Guns” signs, and (c) a sign containing only the term “30.06” (with no other accompanying verbiage) all demonstrate the property owner’s intent, so therefore all have the force of law.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Vol Texan wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
I just finished up the New LTC Instructor course today. I can tell you first hand that what Keith said is exactly what we were told - and this was reinforced by multiple instructors.

They told us in no uncertain terms that (a) gunbuster signs, (b) “No Guns” signs, and (c) a sign containing only the term “30.06” (with no other accompanying verbiage) all demonstrate the property owner’s intent, so therefore all have the force of law.
As they said in the January 2016 class. One instructor even stated that he knew a case where an individual was convicted for violating an invalid sign. No details of course.

This problem needs to be solved at DPS first.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Nutcracker

Post by Nutcracker »

Vol Texan wrote:I just finished up the New LTC Instructor course today. I can tell you first hand that what Keith said is exactly what we were told - and this was reinforced by multiple instructors.

Are they teaching that it also applies to LEO or only applies to LTC?
Ho, Ho! Hey, Hey!

rotor

Post by rotor »

Vol Texan wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

Who needs legislators when we can have DPS write the laws. I still think a false arrest charge would be an easy win for an attorney in a case like this.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Oh Crap!! All this time and we find out we've been doing it wrong!!
:biggrinjester:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

So...I'm guessing this means we can't enter any establishment with a posted gun sign of any kind without risking "The Ride"?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Vol Texan wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
Keith B wrote:

I am not disputing the truth of what you’re saying, but I cannot accept that DPS is getting away with this! When is the legislature and/or the AG going to make it plain to them that the letter of the law is the only thing that has force of law, and not these goofy interpretations?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”