Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Russell wrote:
AndyC wrote:What a bunch of nonsense - so we have 30-06, 30-07, 51% and something that looks like a 51% sign but isn't :mad5
We also have another one to worry about - I hadn't seen one of these signs before: https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=17793
Keep in mind, that only applies to 10 hospitals in the state:

Sec. 552.002. CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER IN STATE HOSPITAL. (a) In this section:

(1) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f), Penal Code.

(2) "State hospital" means the following facilities:

(A) the Austin State Hospital;

(B) the Big Spring State Hospital;

(C) the El Paso Psychiatric Center;

(D) the Kerrville State Hospital;

(E) the North Texas State Hospital;

(F) the Rio Grande State Center;

(G) the Rusk State Hospital;

(H) the San Antonio State Hospital;

(I) the Terrell State Hospital; and

(J) the Waco Center for Youth.

(3) "Written notice" means a sign that is posted on property and that:

(A) includes in both English and Spanish written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 552.002, Health and Safety Code (carrying of handgun by license holder in state hospital), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun";

(B) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(C) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Russell wrote:
AndyC wrote:What a bunch of nonsense - so we have 30-06, 30-07, 51% and something that looks like a 51% sign but isn't :mad5
We also have another one to worry about - I hadn't seen one of these signs before: https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=17793
If I’m reading this right it’s equivalent to a class c like any other sign violation other than the places that must be posted (hospital, church). Actually I think it would be less than a class c. It’s a civil penalty.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... HS.552.htm
Sec. 552.002. CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER IN STATE HOSPITAL. (a) In this section:
(A) includes in both English and Spanish written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 552.002, Health and Safety Code (carrying of handgun by license holder in state hospital), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun";
(B) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(C) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.
(b) A state hospital may prohibit a license holder from carrying a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on the property of the hospital by providing written notice.
(c) A license holder who carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on the property of a state hospital at which written notice is provided is liable for a civil penalty in the amount of:
(1) $100 for the first violation; or
(2) $500 for the second or subsequent violation.
(d) The attorney general or an appropriate prosecuting attorney may sue to collect a civil penalty under this section.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

Russell wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:
Russell wrote:
Keep in mind, that only applies to 10 hospitals in the state:

Yep! I just hadn't seen one of those particular signs before and didn't realize they existed until that entry was posted :tiphat:
Recall that this list was created to keep any random hospital or clinic from claiming it is a "state" (mental illness) hospital just because they offer some counseling services.

To the extent that we have to have signs and "no go" areas anyway, this is a good thing. It also should provide some leverage to reduce other sign violations to at most civil penalties (altho better to eliminate altogether).
USAF 1982-2005

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

I had an appointment with Christus TMF in Tyler yesterday at the LPOHC annex yesterday and in great big letters, it was posted 30.06 & 30.07. After all these years, they too have fallen. {sigh] Oh well, the new parking garage was open.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

mojo84 wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
mojo84 wrote:The 51% sign is different than 30.06 and 30.07 signs.

Would have to do some research when I get a chance. Maybe srothstein will chime in.
To the laymen it is worded strangely http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/government- ... 1-204.html

I do not understand why a Hosp would need a "51" sign ???
I must be misreading or understanding
If I recall correctly, good chance I am not, it has to do with the medications and such. It seems there is some conflicting laws and rules. Hopefully, someone with a better understanding will help explain.
Darn! I was hoping for a prescription for Bourbon in my later years... :biggrinjester:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Thank you all for this information. I work for a hospital which posted .06 and .07 signs in the January the .07 went in effect. I wrote to the CEO asking to remove the .06 and his secretary called and stated twice in a firm tone that the signs would not change. She offered no legal reasoning. I had a discussion end of last year with my director who said all hospitals must be 06 and 07 posted. I told him they did not and he had no information other than what a higher up told him vaguely. I now have a more detailed and digestible bit of info to provide if the discussion comes up again.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

roadkill wrote:
Russell wrote:
If I’m reading this right it’s equivalent to a class c like any other sign violation other than the places that must be posted (hospital, church). Actually I think it would be less than a class c. It’s a civil penalty.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... HS.552.htm
(b) A state hospital may prohibit a license holder from carrying a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on the property of the hospital by providing written notice.
(c) A license holder who carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on the property of a state hospital at which written notice is provided is liable for a civil penalty in the amount of:
(1) $100 for the first violation; or
(2) $500 for the second or subsequent violation.
(d) The attorney general or an appropriate prosecuting attorney may sue to collect a civil penalty under this section.

It's actually even less than a 30.06 violation as it's a civil penalty, not a Class C Midemeanor like 30.06.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

AndyC wrote:I just don't like breaking a law, even inadvertently - they need to simplify/standardize this nonsense.
LTC should be able to carry everywhere LEO can carry on their days off. Maybe we need to clean house in November?
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

DEB

Post by DEB »

Sport Coach wrote:Thank you all for this information. I work for a hospital which posted .06 and .07 signs in the January the .07 went in effect. I wrote to the CEO asking to remove the .06 and his secretary called and stated twice in a firm tone that the signs would not change. She offered no legal reasoning. I had a discussion end of last year with my director who said all hospitals must be 06 and 07 posted. I told him they did not and he had no information other than what a higher up told him vaguely. I now have a more detailed and digestible bit of info to provide if the discussion comes up again.
I worked for a Military Hospital for several years, FT Hood, and the most over riding concern for the Director and etc, was passing the Joint Commission. I wonder if the Joint Commission is requiring that all Hospitals post? This commission is the entity that accredits all Hospitals, including Military. I do know when I worked at the Military Hospital that they were trying to ban all firearms including those carried by off duty Law Enforcement. This did change, so that L.E. could still carry, over the loud protests of the staff and especially Safety. Safety and Security are often at loggerheads. My sister is a head nurse at one of the Dallas Hospitals, I think I will ask her if the no weapons postings are Joint Commission driven.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

AndyC wrote:I just don't like breaking a law, even inadvertently - they need to simplify/standardize this nonsense.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average person breaks at least one law a day, many times without even knowing it. If a person drives anywhere multiply that by ten.

We need to start from scratch with everything being legal and then outlaw only those things that are a direct and significant infringement on the rights of our fellow man. And all laws should sunset in 5 years unless renewed.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”