Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

rtschl
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 740
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#16

Post by rtschl » Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Unless there is a vendor who is licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and whose alcohol sales does met the 51% requirement. But then they are posting the wrong sign.

I would check TABC for the address just to be certain. Though I seriously doubt a hospital is letting/contracting for someone to sell alcohol on premise. But these days you never know.
Ron
NRA Member


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2926
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#17

Post by rotor » Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 pm

rtschl wrote:Unless there is a vendor who is licensed to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption and whose alcohol sales does met the 51% requirement. But then they are posting the wrong sign.

I would check TABC for the address just to be certain. Though I seriously doubt a hospital is letting/contracting for someone to sell alcohol on premise. But these days you never know.
Here is the code...411.204
a) A business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code , shall prominently display at each entrance to the business premises a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c).

(b) A hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, shall prominently display at each entrance to the hospital or nursing home, as appropriate, a sign that complies with the requirements of Subsection (c) other than the requirement that the sign include on its face the number “51”.

(c) The sign required under Subsections (a) and (b) must give notice in both English and Spanish that it is unlawful for a person licensed under this subchapter to carry a handgun on the premises.  The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height and must include on its face the number “51” printed in solid red at least five inches in height.  The sign shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) A business that has a permit or license issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Code and that is not required to display a sign under this section may be required to display a sign under Section 11.041 or 61.11, Alcoholic Beverage Code .

(e) This section does not apply to a business that has a food and beverage certificate issued under the Alcoholic Beverage Code.


If you read (b) you will see what the hospital needs to post essentially a 51% sign without the 51% written on it. Nothing to do with alcohol.
The sign at my hospital essentially was a blue sign. Technically from what Charles said they still need 30.06/07 sign to keep LTC holder out, at least that's my assumption.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23922
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#18

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 am

E.Marquez wrote:
mojo84 wrote:The 51% sign is different than 30.06 and 30.07 signs.

Would have to do some research when I get a chance. Maybe srothstein will chime in.
To the laymen it is worded strangely http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/government- ... 1-204.html

I do not understand why a Hosp would need a "51" sign ???
I must be misreading or understanding
51% or more of income from opioid drug sales? :mrgreen:
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23922
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#19

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 am

I have no clue who this Holcomb guy is, but I would ask Mr Holcomb if he had personally spent as much time involved in the actual writing of the relevant CHL/LTC law as Charles has done, or if he was as personally involved (as in “lobbyist to politician” personally) in the legislative intent of those legislators who voted FOR it as Charles is. Then quote him what Charles has said.

There is simply nobody else in Texas, with the possible exception of Alice Tripp of the TSRA, who is as intimately familiar with the wording of CHL/LTC law, the legislative intent of its passage, or what it took to get it passed. Anyone else is claiming a level of academic authority that is simply not theirs to claim.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

G.A. Heath
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2730
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: Western Texas

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#20

Post by G.A. Heath » Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have no clue who this Holcomb guy is, but I would ask Mr Holcomb if he had personally spent as much time involved in the actual writing of the relevant CHL/LTC law as Charles has done, or if he was as personally involved (as in “lobbyist to politician” personally) in the legislative intent of those legislators who voted FOR it as Charles is. Then quote him what Charles has said.

There is simply nobody else in Texas, with the possible exception of Alice Tripp of the TSRA, who is as intimately familiar with the wording of CHL/LTC law, the legislative intent of its passage, or what it took to get it passed. Anyone else is claiming a level of academic authority that is simply not theirs to claim.
Holcomb is one of those who has their heart in the right place, but he had to sacrifice some knowledge to make room for the Venom he holds within it. His group (Texas Carry IIRC) is a smaller group and he wants to replace to TSRA as the states leading second amendment advocacy group because he feels they are too willing to compromise. Before anyone says I am making assumptions or blind accusations I can assure you that this is not the case. Unlike the leaders of other organizations he has learned a little bit about negotiating with legislators and that the all or nothing approach doesn't work. Overall he seems like a nice guy but my communication with him was limited.
I am also a Gun guy, Car Guy, and Computer Guy and a currently former podcaster.


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#21

Post by BBYC » Wed May 16, 2018 12:37 pm

It looks like Holcombe quoted the law that requires hospitals to post a particular sign. That sign is not a 30.06 sign It doesn't look like Charles said anything to contradict that requirement.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6393
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#22

Post by ELB » Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:I have no clue who this Holcomb guy is,...
Terry Holcomb is the founder of the Texas Carry organization, and was the guy sued by Waller County when he filed a complaint about their court house signs with the Texas AG. That's covered in this thread: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... lit=waller

From what is presented in THIS thread, it does not appear he said anything that conflicts with Charles Cotton's explanation of the law(s) a few posts back. Hospitals are required to post a certain sign, which is not a 30.06/30.07 nor a 51% sign (it is the same verbiage as a 515 sign, but does not have the "51%" nor does it trigger the same part of the law as the 51%). It has nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. The law appears to require only that they hospital post the sign and provide a notice, but it does not create any offense for an armed LTC holder.

(We really need a new name for the sign that hospitals are supposed to post, calling it the 51% sign is confusing because that's not what it is. Better, the legislature should dump all this sign nonsense.)

That said, it appears the head of security at the hospital where rotor found the sign does not know the law. Me, I would not go educate him because that will probably just result in the hospital putting the 30.06/30/07 signs back up. I would just discreetly carry and go about my business.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#23

Post by oljames3 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

ELB wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I have no clue who this Holcomb guy is,...
Terry Holcomb is the founder of the Texas Carry organization, and was the guy sued by Waller County when he filed a complaint about their court house signs with the Texas AG. That's covered in this thread: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... lit=waller

From what is presented in THIS thread, it does not appear he said anything that conflicts with Charles Cotton's explanation of the law(s) a few posts back. Hospitals are required to post a certain sign, which is not a 30.06/30.07 nor a 51% sign (it is the same verbiage as a 515 sign, but does not have the "51%" nor does it trigger the same part of the law as the 51%). It has nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. The law appears to require only that they hospital post the sign and provide a notice, but it does not create any offense for an armed LTC holder.

(We really need a new name for the sign that hospitals are supposed to post, calling it the 51% sign is confusing because that's not what it is. Better, the legislature should dump all this sign nonsense.)

That said, it appears the head of security at the hospital where rotor found the sign does not know the law. Me, I would not go educate him because that will probably just result in the hospital putting the 30.06/30/07 signs back up. I would just discreetly carry and go about my business.
:iagree:
And I'll carry my Kel-Tec Sub2000 in my computer bag.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 23922
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#24

Post by The Annoyed Man » Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm

ELB wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I have no clue who this Holcomb guy is,...
Terry Holcomb is the founder of the Texas Carry organization, and was the guy sued by Waller County when he filed a complaint about their court house signs with the Texas AG. That's covered in this thread: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... lit=waller

From what is presented in THIS thread, it does not appear he said anything that conflicts with Charles Cotton's explanation of the law(s) a few posts back. Hospitals are required to post a certain sign, which is not a 30.06/30.07 nor a 51% sign (it is the same verbiage as a 515 sign, but does not have the "51%" nor does it trigger the same part of the law as the 51%). It has nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. The law appears to require only that they hospital post the sign and provide a notice, but it does not create any offense for an armed LTC holder.

(We really need a new name for the sign that hospitals are supposed to post, calling it the 51% sign is confusing because that's not what it is. Better, the legislature should dump all this sign nonsense.)

That said, it appears the head of security at the hospital where rotor found the sign does not know the law. Me, I would not go educate him because that will probably just result in the hospital putting the 30.06/30/07 signs back up. I would just discreetly carry and go about my business.
Then I must have misunderstood E.Marquez’s OP question, because I thought that the issue was Mr Holcomb insisting that hospitals MUST post 30.06/07 signs.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6393
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#25

Post by ELB » Wed May 16, 2018 3:55 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote: ...Then I must have misunderstood E.Marquez’s OP question, because I thought that the issue was Mr Holcomb insisting that hospitals MUST post 30.06/07 signs.
Yes, I think so, and I believe E.Marquez was initially confused too. However, the quote from Holcomb was referencing the "non-51%" sign required by Sec. 411.204, not the 30.06/07 signs.
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2926
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#26

Post by rotor » Wed May 16, 2018 4:52 pm

ELB wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:I have no clue who this Holcomb guy is,...
Terry Holcomb is the founder of the Texas Carry organization, and was the guy sued by Waller County when he filed a complaint about their court house signs with the Texas AG. That's covered in this thread: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... lit=waller

From what is presented in THIS thread, it does not appear he said anything that conflicts with Charles Cotton's explanation of the law(s) a few posts back. Hospitals are required to post a certain sign, which is not a 30.06/30.07 nor a 51% sign (it is the same verbiage as a 515 sign, but does not have the "51%" nor does it trigger the same part of the law as the 51%). It has nothing to do with alcoholic beverages. The law appears to require only that they hospital post the sign and provide a notice, but it does not create any offense for an armed LTC holder.

(We really need a new name for the sign that hospitals are supposed to post, calling it the 51% sign is confusing because that's not what it is. Better, the legislature should dump all this sign nonsense.)

That said, it appears the head of security at the hospital where rotor found the sign does not know the law. Me, I would not go educate him because that will probably just result in the hospital putting the 30.06/30/07 signs back up. I would just discreetly carry and go about my business.
Which is what I plan on doing next time I am there. I was really confused when I went there the other day. And they had taken down their 30.06/07 signs.


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#27

Post by TreyHouston » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 pm

How is anyone supposed to keep up with all of this! I thought Inwas doing pretty good so far! :confused5 :confused5
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 9903
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#28

Post by AndyC » Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm

What a bunch of nonsense - so we have 30-06, 30-07, 51% and something that looks like a 51% sign but isn't :mad5
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners


Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2803
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#29

Post by Russell » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

AndyC wrote:What a bunch of nonsense - so we have 30-06, 30-07, 51% and something that looks like a 51% sign but isn't :mad5
We also have another one to worry about - I hadn't seen one of these signs before: https://www.texas3006.com/view.php?id=17793
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006

User avatar

ELB
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 6393
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Seguin

Re: Hospitals MUST post 3006/3007?

#30

Post by ELB » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 am

AndyC wrote:... and something that looks like a 51% sign but isn't :mad5
Which carries no penalty for you as a LTC holder. This is actually a case where the confusion and obscurity of the law works in our favor, mostly. At least if you have to go to court.

But yeah. :mad5
USAF 1982-2005
____________
The Most Interesting Texan in the World. :txflag:

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”