I want to keep my guns.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

NNT
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I want to keep my guns.

Post by NNT »

I agree not everyone is stable enough to own or operate guns well. My issue is the old saying of don't give a friend power you would not give your enemy. Currently they 'might' exclude depression, or I had a bad day at work, or ... but anything in they system is like anything on the internet. It may never be found again, but it never disappears.

Knock on door, hello Mr gun owner. I see that 30 years ago you talked to a counselor at work after your divorce, we consider that mental health treatment. What is the combo to your safe please...

Protect ourselves and children first.
Fix crazy people second.
Don't take away my right to protect myself EVER.

My church today talked to some of us and reminded us they don't consider carry guns in the building appropriate, but falling far short of banning us. I struggle with that one. For now I choose to respect the request. I am not sure I alway will.

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

18 years old for bolt action rifle or 2 barrel shotgun.

21 years old for semi automatic handgun, pump shotgun

25 years old semi automatic rifle, automatic shotgun

No bump stocks or other rapid fire devices

50 state plus D.C. CHL license.

No off limits for CHL, except NFL stadiums, and businesses who post.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rp_photo wrote:
TheFriscoKid wrote:I also want to see an end to mass shootings, school massacres and suicides.

What is the common thread? Declining mental health.

I don't think we have a gun problem but a mental health problem.
An untended consequence I see is gun owners being unwilling to seek help for mental issues out of fear of losing their rights. And I can't say I blame them.
:iagree:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

philip964 wrote:18 years old for bolt action rifle or 2 barrel shotgun.

So mass shootings concentrated at NFL stadiums. I also dislike the NFL for their refusal to crack down on anti-American player protesters, but I still think we should keep their fans safe.

Are you making an age exception for our military, or should we just raise the minimum age to serve to be 25? Either way, this is a bad idea, IMHO. Raise the driving age to 25 since more people are killed by drivers under that age, than by shooters under 25.

Define "rapid fire devices". Unless it is defined in such a way that common everyday items are included, then your ban will be non-effective. But maybe it will make you feel better.

I like National reciprocity, but all licenses should be issued by the states, not the federal government.

flechero
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flechero »

NNT wrote: My church today talked to some of us and reminded us they don't consider carry guns in the building appropriate, but falling far short of banning us. I struggle with that one. For now I choose to respect the request. I am not sure I alway will.
Sorry to hear that... it would have been my last day there. It's a non-negotiable item for me.

XnTx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by XnTx »

I've been thinking about the all inclusive, anti-bullying, we love everybody societal change. Why didn't "they", not necessarily the victims, but members of his peer group, circle of acquaintances, generation, etc help him? I mean he was obviously troubled, an outcast, probably bullied, because he was different. Why didn't "they" try to include him, help him integrate, befriend him, let him know that he was one of them and they are all one together?

Before someone says I am blaming the victims, I am not. I am asking a sociologically serious question. This makes more sense than to blame me and anyone else that wants to keep and bear arms. "They" keep diverting the solution to the problem from themselves to a piece of machinery.
CHL - 9/22/11
NRA Life Member - 12/12/15
XDS .45 or P380

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 14

Post by bblhd672 »

Every concession you make to the anti-freedom side the more excited they get about being closer to their goal of repealing the 2nd Amendment.

There’s already so many gun laws, rules and regulations that the government cannot/will not enforce. The last 20-30 years has seen “the people” vote for more and more rights to be armed and protect their families.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ATabarrok/st ... are.com%2F

And now those who have been winning the freedom and liberty battles are proposing to start losing again?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 14

Post by bblhd672 »

flechero wrote:
NNT wrote: My church today talked to some of us and reminded us they don't consider carry guns in the building appropriate, but falling far short of banning us. I struggle with that one. For now I choose to respect the request. I am not sure I alway will.
Sorry to hear that... it would have been my last day there. It's a non-negotiable item for me.

:iagree: And I bet their argument against ability to protect your family wasn’t Biblical based but more about “feelings.”
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The Sermon on the Mount was delivered to an armed congregation.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Flechero,
I agree with most of what you said with the exception of paying more money for additional school protection.
I already pay far to much in taxes for a really bad education system.
How about this instead: We take a few of the non-core positions that have proliferated in our schools and trade them for armed guards and armed teacher training.
I'm talking about a few of the, far too many, administrators that now outnumber teachers in school districts.
Or maybe the school's "Diversity director" or "Self esteem coordinator".
I think it is far more important that our kids be safe while learning the three Rs than it is to learn about:
Global warming, Ump-teen genders, same sex marriage, or social responsibility.
I also think it is more important than a free breakfast, a free lunch or "Summer feeding".
I keep getting told that kids can't learn when they're hungry - well they can't learn when they are afraid either.

Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 26

Post by TheFriscoKid »

An idea like this also occurred to me but I haven't yet found any statistics on the avg age of mass shooters.

I also should try to find stats on avg age of all shooters.

I don't think age alone can be a gating factor. I know that a younger version of me was more prone to anger and emotional decisions. I trust myself much more now to stay level headed.

jason812
Posts in topic: 7

Post by jason812 »

NFL stadiums or just NFL games? Plenty of events that are held in the stadiums that are not affiliated with the NFL. Just cause the players are thugs, doesn't make the fans thugs. (I'm not a fan by the way)

Age restrictions won't solve anything. Plenty of kids still get booze under the age of 21. Plenty of people get drugs of their choice. Texting and driving is now illegal but I still see plenty of people do that everyday.

Gun laws won't stop crime, if they would, Chicago should be one of the safest cities in America.

I bought my first AR when I was 20 in 1999.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

Why no off limits EXCEPT the NFL Stadiums? Why do they get a pass? Just curious.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

I’m guessing there will be exemptions for veterans.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

If guns and football don't mix, it's far more Constitutional for the government to ban the NFL outright than to infringe the right to bear arms at NFL games.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”