County Bans Guns At All County Parks

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Post Reply

Topic author
stash
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 am
Location: Woodcreek

County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#1

Post by stash » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 am

I read in the newspaper this morning that Bastrop County has among other things banned guns at its three county parks. Violations would be a Class C misd. with a fine up to $500.00. No other info was provided re the gun ban such as signage.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5883
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#2

Post by Liberty » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 am

stash wrote:I read in the newspaper this morning that Bastrop County has among other things banned guns at its three county parks. Violations would be a Class C misd. with a fine up to $500.00. No other info was provided re the gun ban such as signage.
Not applicable to LTC holders.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2087
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#3

Post by oljames3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am

stash wrote:I read in the newspaper this morning that Bastrop County has among other things banned guns at its three county parks. Violations would be a Class C misd. with a fine up to $500.00. No other info was provided re the gun ban such as signage.
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/bas ... GiqI4V8tL/
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/bas ... 5zMxBxLdM/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

JustSomeOldGuy
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:49 am

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#4

Post by JustSomeOldGuy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Bastrop County commissioners on Monday approved a set of rules and regulations for its parks after residents complained of drug use and scattered litter, and the sheriff’s office requested guidelines to enforce at the public spaces.
Aren't littering and drug use/sales ALREADY illegal in Bastrop County? Need 'Enforcement Guidelines'? Your guidelines are "put somebody in a patrol car and have them drive to the park at the times of day people have complained about and issue citations/make arrests for any observed infractions".
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver


Topic author
stash
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 824
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:04 am
Location: Woodcreek

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#5

Post by stash » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Good point OldGuy.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1458
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#6

Post by TreyHouston » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:31 pm

“Residents surrounding Stony Point Park in western Bastrop County pleaded with county officials to keep the park maintained after becoming fed up with the drug dealing, dumping and wild dogs that the park often attracted.”

They are not concerned about guns or people trying to protect themselves from the drug dealers, people on drugs or the wild dogs, but we will go ahead and ban guns while we are at it.
Don’t worry, we might have a cop drive by twice a day, and give the drug dealers, druggies and wild dogs a $500 fine, they will all leave, probably into your neighborhood, but dont worry about that. When we are not there once/twice (driving by) a day, we will put up a sign thats says “Stop this nonsense”
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#7

Post by rotor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 pm

As a LTC carrier this should not make any difference. It would seem that you can not bring a long gun into the parks now. The average person would not have been able to bring a handgun into the park anyway. I personally don't find this to be an unusual ban. By posting the County is on much better legal grounds to fine those that break the law. No fireworks, no glass, dogs on leash, etc., all reasonable prohibitions. Of course things that are already illegal are still illegal. They apparently did not post .06/.07 which would have been illegal.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17202
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#8

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:30 pm

rotor wrote:As a LTC carrier this should not make any difference. It would seem that you can not bring a long gun into the parks now. The average person would not have been able to bring a handgun into the park anyway. I personally don't find this to be an unusual ban. By posting the County is on much better legal grounds to fine those that break the law. No fireworks, no glass, dogs on leash, etc., all reasonable prohibitions. Of course things that are already illegal are still illegal. They apparently did not post .06/.07 which would have been illegal.
Please give us the Code sections that prohibit firearms in county parks. Also, note the Local Gov't Code Section below. Unlike Local Gov't Code Section 229. §236 does not give counties the authority to regulate firearms in county parks.

Chas.
Local Gov't Code §236.002 wrote:Sec. 236.002. FIREARMS; AIR GUNS; SPORT SHOOTING RANGE. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a county may not adopt regulations relating to:

(1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, knives, ammunition, or firearm or air gun supplies; or

(2) the discharge of a firearm or air gun at a sport shooting range.

(b) The attorney general may bring an action in the name of the state to obtain a temporary or permanent injunction against a county adopting a regulation, other than a regulation under Section 236.003, in violation of this section.
Image


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#9

Post by rotor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
rotor wrote:As a LTC carrier this should not make any difference. It would seem that you can not bring a long gun into the parks now. The average person would not have been able to bring a handgun into the park anyway. I personally don't find this to be an unusual ban. By posting the County is on much better legal grounds to fine those that break the law. No fireworks, no glass, dogs on leash, etc., all reasonable prohibitions. Of course things that are already illegal are still illegal. They apparently did not post .06/.07 which would have been illegal.
Please give us the Code sections that prohibit firearms in county parks. Also, note the Local Gov't Code Section below. Unlike Local Gov't Code Section 229. §236 does not give counties the authority to regulate firearms in county parks.

Chas.
Local Gov't Code §236.002 wrote:Sec. 236.002. FIREARMS; AIR GUNS; SPORT SHOOTING RANGE. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a county may not adopt regulations relating to:

(1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, knives, ammunition, or firearm or air gun supplies; or

(2) the discharge of a firearm or air gun at a sport shooting range.

(b) The attorney general may bring an action in the name of the state to obtain a temporary or permanent injunction against a county adopting a regulation, other than a regulation under Section 236.003, in violation of this section.
Glad I didn't write the rules for the parks. Now, who challenges those rules?

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17202
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#10

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:52 am

rotor wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
rotor wrote:As a LTC carrier this should not make any difference. It would seem that you can not bring a long gun into the parks now. The average person would not have been able to bring a handgun into the park anyway. I personally don't find this to be an unusual ban. By posting the County is on much better legal grounds to fine those that break the law. No fireworks, no glass, dogs on leash, etc., all reasonable prohibitions. Of course things that are already illegal are still illegal. They apparently did not post .06/.07 which would have been illegal.
Please give us the Code sections that prohibit firearms in county parks. Also, note the Local Gov't Code Section below. Unlike Local Gov't Code Section 229. §236 does not give counties the authority to regulate firearms in county parks.

Chas.
Local Gov't Code §236.002 wrote:Sec. 236.002. FIREARMS; AIR GUNS; SPORT SHOOTING RANGE. (a) Notwithstanding any other law, including Chapter 251, Agriculture Code, a county may not adopt regulations relating to:

(1) the transfer, private ownership, keeping, transportation, licensing, or registration of firearms, air guns, knives, ammunition, or firearm or air gun supplies; or

(2) the discharge of a firearm or air gun at a sport shooting range.

(b) The attorney general may bring an action in the name of the state to obtain a temporary or permanent injunction against a county adopting a regulation, other than a regulation under Section 236.003, in violation of this section.
Glad I didn't write the rules for the parks. Now, who challenges those rules?
Per the Code, the AG can file suit. I'm checking on something now and it's likely I'll send an Open Records Request to a Bastrop County Judge and get a lot of documents.

Chas.
Image


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 8365
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: County Bans Guns At All County Parks

#11

Post by Abraham » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you Charles for all your tireless efforts.

It doesn't go unnoticed and is very much appreciated by all of us pro-self defense folks.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”