Deputy Scot Peterson

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#16

Post by TheFriscoKid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 pm

1911 Raptor wrote:
TheFriscoKid wrote:
rotor wrote: I would guess he is a high suicide risk.
I too thought he would be the 18th victim until I read that he felt he did a "good job" that day.

His analysis of his performance sickens me almost as much as his failure.

Only thing worse than a coward is a delusional coward.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/deputy-wh ... -good-job/

The parents of the dead and injured children will be paying for his retirement.

"schlub" is a good term. ( talentless, unattractive, boorish person, clumsy, or oafish)
I don’t think you have any room to criticize since in another thread you stated you wouldn’t help anyone unless they were a family member. You also stated you would turn in your guns if asked to do so by the government. Maybe you and the deputy share the same beliefs when it comes to risking lives when it isn’t a family member who is involved.

Are you going to delete this thread as well since someone remembers your previous statements regarding not getting involved and defending someone who might be in trouble?
You're not quoting me correctly. What I wrote earlier was that like many "I hope so" and believe I'd do the right thing when called to do it and especially if it was a pledge I made to 'protect and serve' others.

What I wrote was that in the context of my life and family is that my number one duty is protect my family. This could unfold in many ways, if that means to take the shot or engage the assailant then that's what I would do. I never wrote that I wouldn't defend others because I have in the past and have almost paid the price for it.

I agree with everything Charles wrote - the guy was a fraud - but that fraud should have been apparent to anyone that knew Peterson. He clearly wasn't equipped and in the mental or psychological state to live up the the responsibility he'd been given. He should have seen it and his supervisors should have seen it.

But he had a cush job, hanging out with kids from the right side of the fence and collecting hazard pay while other deputies raided drug dealers, dealt with the random dangers of traffic stops and domestic disputes. Nope - just the schools.

But most of all I stopped feeling any empathy for the guy when after the fact he felt he did a 'good job'.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 12840
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#17

Post by C-dub » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:24 pm

He should have gone in. I don't care what his training was. I don't care how close he was to retirement. I don't care if all he had was a collapsible baton. He was better armed than anyone else in that school being murdered and using their bodies to protect others.

Keep in mind that the SCOTUS ruled back in 2005 that the police have no constitutional duty to protect anyone from harm.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... otect.html
The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3326
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#18

Post by rotor » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 pm

1911 Raptor wrote:
TheFriscoKid wrote:
rotor wrote: I would guess he is a high suicide risk.
I too thought he would be the 18th victim until I read that he felt he did a "good job" that day.

His analysis of his performance sickens me almost as much as his failure.

Only thing worse than a coward is a delusional coward.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/22/deputy-wh ... -good-job/

The parents of the dead and injured children will be paying for his retirement.

"schlub" is a good term. ( talentless, unattractive, boorish person, clumsy, or oafish)
I don’t think you have any room to criticize since in another thread you stated you wouldn’t help anyone unless they were a family member. You also stated you would turn in your guns if asked to do so by the government. Maybe you and the deputy share the same beliefs when it comes to risking lives when it isn’t a family member who is involved.

Are you going to delete this thread as well since someone remembers your previous statements regarding not getting involved and defending someone who might be in trouble?
I don't know if this is in reference to me or not. I personally as an LTC holder with my standard .380 would not consider myself capable to do more than protect me or mine. That's the reason I carry. I am not a LEO. I haven't been paid a salary for 30+ years to "protect and serve". I don't know what I would have done in this situation. If it was at my grandson's school I would have charged in. For a stranger I don't know. At least I am honest. I really don't know.


dlh
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 761
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#19

Post by dlh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:38 pm

TheFriscoKid wrote:
dlh wrote:
These are my comments:

Remember Garland--a city police officer used his service handgun to take out two charging Jihadis armed with AK47 rifles... So much for disparate fire-power.
You're incorrect. The initial reports mistakenly identified Officer Gregory Stevens as killing the two gunmen. The post mortem showed that the lethal shots were all done by 4 SWAT team members.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2218538

" Two gunman shot dead after opening fire outside a controversial Muhammad cartoon contest in Texas earlier this month were killed by SWAT team members and not a single traffic officer as initially reported, police said Monday.

The correction by Garland Police Chief Mitch Bates follows officials initially lauding a single Garland police officer for eliminating Elton Simpson, 31, and Nadir Soofi, 34, after police say they stormed the Curtis Culwell Center armed with assault rifles.

Bates, speaking at a press conference, said that traffic officer did shoot and wound the suspects but that it was four members of the SWAT Tactical Response Team that killed the armed duo during the May 3 attack."
You mis-characterized what I said. He, in fact, did take em out. SWAT fired the lethal rounds AFTER they were down as far as I can tell. Of course, it would be nice to have the offense reports and coroner's report to review. For a detailed account of what happened read this:

https://www.policeone.com/active-shoote ... or-attack/
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.


Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#20

Post by TheFriscoKid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:He was a despicable coward who traded the lives of 17 people for his own. I don't care about his armor or armament he should have gone in and either killed the murderer or died trying. The fact that he is now claiming he did a good job because he called for help and gave the murder's location makes his cowardice even worse. Apparently the help that came also stayed outside; I guess Peterson needed consoling. Reports indicated that city police offers are the ones that went in as soon as they arrived. They too are disgusted at the cowardice exhibited by the deputy(ies).

I realize that some people naturally run to the sound of gunfire while others run away. The former are not fool-hearty and the latter are not cowards. That's just the way they are wired. If you put on the badge you better darn well be the kind of person that runs toward the gunfire. Peterson and three other deputies apparently were not and the body count was higher as a result of their cowardice.

You can double the size of your post trying to "analyze" Peterson's conduct and it won't justify his failure to act. His response should have been to instinctively run to save lives with no time for "reflection" as you attempt. I guess his response was instinctive for him; stay outside and listen to innocent kids and teachers die. Every hour he spent walking the campus wearing his uniform, badge and gun, he wasn't a peace officer, he was a fraud. People believed he would protect them to the best of his ability should the need ever arise, but he deceived everyone. He was nothing more than movie prop. His last day on the job was also his most important day on the job and he failed miserably.

May Jesus forgive me for feeling the way I do about Peterson and the other sorry excuses for men.
Chas.
I agree with everything you wrote but with nuances.

Being well equipped, well trained, and physically capable gives one the confidence that separates courageousness from fool-hearty.

The 'good job' self assessment by Peterson was the turning point for me from being empathetic to a person I think that would be most certainly the 18th victim of this event to one I don't give a damn about. As you wrote he is a fraud, lived as a fraud and as a movie prop and he failed miserably.

I wasn't trying to make an excuse for Peterson but to present the idea that the system failed and its clear to see. If I walked into that school the day before I would have laughed out loud when introduced to the 'security guard'.

User avatar

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#21

Post by bigtek » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:43 pm

This is exactly why the police unions oppose teachers having guns in school.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!


Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#22

Post by TheFriscoKid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:44 pm

rotor wrote:
I don't know if this is in reference to me or not. I personally as an LTC holder with my standard .380 would not consider myself capable to do more than protect me or mine. That's the reason I carry. I am not a LEO. I haven't been paid a salary for 30+ years to "protect and serve". I don't know what I would have done in this situation. If it was at my grandson's school I would have charged in. For a stranger I don't know. At least I am honest. I really don't know.
Nah rotor - it's directed at me. Misquoted though.

And I agree - I haven't taken an oath or pledge, I am not the same 25 year old that almost got stabbed in France helping a stranger get back their stolen purse. (If the perp had a gun the sun setting over the Med would have been my final sight)

I'd like to think I'd do the right thing for a stranger and know I'd do the right thing for my son and wife. That's all I wrote the other day and someone now is misquoting/misinterpreting that.


Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#23

Post by TheFriscoKid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 pm

dlh wrote:
TheFriscoKid wrote:
dlh wrote:
These are my comments:

Remember Garland--a city police officer used his service handgun to take out two charging Jihadis armed with AK47 rifles... So much for disparate fire-power.
You're incorrect. The initial reports mistakenly identified Officer Gregory Stevens as killing the two gunmen. The post mortem showed that the lethal shots were all done by 4 SWAT team members.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2218538

" Two gunman shot dead after opening fire outside a controversial Muhammad cartoon contest in Texas earlier this month were killed by SWAT team members and not a single traffic officer as initially reported, police said Monday.

The correction by Garland Police Chief Mitch Bates follows officials initially lauding a single Garland police officer for eliminating Elton Simpson, 31, and Nadir Soofi, 34, after police say they stormed the Curtis Culwell Center armed with assault rifles.

Bates, speaking at a press conference, said that traffic officer did shoot and wound the suspects but that it was four members of the SWAT Tactical Response Team that killed the armed duo during the May 3 attack."
You mis-characterized what I said. He, in fact, did take em out. SWAT fired the lethal rounds AFTER they were down as far as I can tell. Of course, it would be nice to have the offense reports and coroner's report to review. For a detailed account of what happened read this:

https://www.policeone.com/active-shoote ... or-attack/
The two accounts are in conflict with each other. Fog of war and truce. :???:

User avatar

LDB415
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:01 am
Location: Houston south suburb

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#24

Post by LDB415 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Israel should not be anything beyond dog catcher and possibly not that. Ultimately he is responsible. He's an Obama/Clinton leftist so he'll be fine. If he were a conservative decent person he'd already be fired.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.


jason812
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#25

Post by jason812 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 pm

TheFriscoKid wrote:
rotor wrote:
I don't know if this is in reference to me or not. I personally as an LTC holder with my standard .380 would not consider myself capable to do more than protect me or mine. That's the reason I carry. I am not a LEO. I haven't been paid a salary for 30+ years to "protect and serve". I don't know what I would have done in this situation. If it was at my grandson's school I would have charged in. For a stranger I don't know. At least I am honest. I really don't know.
Nah rotor - it's directed at me. Misquoted though.

And I agree - I haven't taken an oath or pledge, I am not the same 25 year old that almost got stabbed in France helping a stranger get back their stolen purse. (If the perp had a gun the sun setting over the Med would have been my final sight)

I'd like to think I'd do the right thing for a stranger and know I'd do the right thing for my son and wife. That's all I wrote the other day and someone now is misquoting/misinterpreting that.
TheFriscoKid wrote: I have a life, loved ones, people that I love and love me. A lot to live for and a lot of life lived. The only thing I'd kill or die for would be to protect my wife and son.

Guns are a part of my life, they are not my life.
https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 1#p1187961

Your words

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1367
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#26

Post by Scott B. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:50 pm

You would hope after the night club massacre, when they waited way too long, mindsets in Florida would change.

I know the officers I talk to here say that their tactics started to change in the early aughts.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


Txtension
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Corpus Christi

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#27

Post by Txtension » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Mr Peterson will have the rest of his life to convince himself he actually did a good job.

Seems like he will have plenty of free time and plenty of beer money too, courtesy of Jon and Jane Q Taxpayer.

It's fairly obvious that the dude was only there to collect a paycheck. The first change the new Sheriff should make is to rotate people in the SRO position. No more cush jobs for the worn down or "old."


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#28

Post by OlBill » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:45 pm

We're mad at him for not being a hero.

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4811
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#29

Post by bblhd672 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 pm

LDB415 wrote:Israel should not be anything beyond dog catcher and possibly not that. Ultimately he is responsible. He's an Obama/Clinton leftist so he'll be fine. If he were a conservative decent person he'd already be fired.
I wouldn’t trust the guy with my dog, but he could pick up my trash or clean the sewer lines in the city.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager


Topic author
TheFriscoKid
Banned
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Deputy Scot Peterson

#30

Post by TheFriscoKid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:55 pm

jason812 wrote:
TheFriscoKid wrote:
rotor wrote:
I don't know if this is in reference to me or not. I personally as an LTC holder with my standard .380 would not consider myself capable to do more than protect me or mine. That's the reason I carry. I am not a LEO. I haven't been paid a salary for 30+ years to "protect and serve". I don't know what I would have done in this situation. If it was at my grandson's school I would have charged in. For a stranger I don't know. At least I am honest. I really don't know.
Nah rotor - it's directed at me. Misquoted though.

And I agree - I haven't taken an oath or pledge, I am not the same 25 year old that almost got stabbed in France helping a stranger get back their stolen purse. (If the perp had a gun the sun setting over the Med would have been my final sight)

I'd like to think I'd do the right thing for a stranger and know I'd do the right thing for my son and wife. That's all I wrote the other day and someone now is misquoting/misinterpreting that.
TheFriscoKid wrote: I have a life, loved ones, people that I love and love me. A lot to live for and a lot of life lived. The only thing I'd kill or die for would be to protect my wife and son.

Guns are a part of my life, they are not my life.
https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic ... 1#p1187961

Your words
Those are my words in the context of the greater discussion of whether others or myself would fight and die for the right to keep weapons "the cold dead hands" argument.

I stand by those words.

I also stand by the words of a post and thread that's been removed since where I wrote that no one knows for certain what they will do when their moment comes but I hope that I would do the right thing and have a track record of doing the right thing.

People posture and bluff online but one can't know until that moment comes.

I know for certain I would defend my wife and child. I'd like to think that I'd do the right thing, the courageous thing, when it came to others. Mentally and morally I am courageous (as would most self-assess). But the reality is I don't have the same tools I did when I was younger.

A good example might be my willingness to not back down from a fight. I fought maybe 50 times before I was 30. School yards, streets, bars, whatever. I had a pretty good record, big and strong with some martial arts training from one of the best known in the world at that time.

But after 40, the same declines began happening to me that happen to most. Loss of muscle no matter how much I trained, loss of speed and sharpness, and as I got older, a few injuries and more atrophy.

I had all of the courage it took to enter a fray at 25, by 50 less than 50% remained. And then there are the other problems - everyone is armed and/or highly trained. Just from my sheer size, I can not approach another driver and politely tell them I don't like the way they're driving. I'd get shot in a NY second. And then there's the MMA guys - they are all over the place now. Strong, fast, trained - not a chance.

I like to boast and brag about my skills with a firearm which are actually quite high but that goes with the usual caveat that no one is shooting back at me. And I don't deceive myself about other facts.

How fast I can run from one place to another, how fast I can conceal and cover, steady my aim under fire.. all of those things are under doubt and unknowns for those that have never done it and for almost all that have even more so.

And as happens to most, mental acuity also wanes with age. Have you really assessed the situation correctly? Do you understand what you're up against? Your own faults and liabilities?

Here's a mock situation using airsoft guns - watch it for a little bit and other than the muzzle cover of his teamate's back this guy (German SWAT equivalent) moves and shoots better than 99.999% of the population. https://youtu.be/5Dejnlz2bqg?t=1m23s

Yeah. I have a good life. Despite all of the aging I still have the body of a 30 year old. Just so happens that body is my wife's.
Last edited by TheFriscoKid on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”