Am I overreacting?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


RHenriksen
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2002
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Am I overreacting?

#16

Post by RHenriksen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:15 pm

First, welcome to the forum!

One thing you might consider doing is a) getting recommendations here for a *good* LTC instructor in the DFW area, and b) asking that instructor if you could audit their class to get a *good* class on the Texas laws on use of force, deescalation, etc. I'm be awfully surprised if they would react with anything but open arms to have someone who's willing to devote the time to get the *right* info, even if it means sitting through a class a second time.

It shouldn't cost you anything but a few hours of your time. I know Charles Cotton's classes here in Houston are both highly educational, *and* entertaining & fun! Not anything like taking bad medicine :D
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Am I overreacting?

#17

Post by oljames3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:22 pm

RHenriksen wrote:First, welcome to the forum!

One thing you might consider doing is a) getting recommendations here for a *good* LTC instructor in the DFW area, and b) asking that instructor if you could audit their class to get a *good* class on the Texas laws on use of force, deescalation, etc. I'm be awfully surprised if they would react with anything but open arms to have someone who's willing to devote the time to get the *right* info, even if it means sitting through a class a second time.

It shouldn't cost you anything but a few hours of your time. I know Charles Cotton's classes here in Houston are both highly educational, *and* entertaining & fun! Not anything like taking bad medicine :D
+1 for Charles Cotton. I live near Austin. I took my father and youngest brother to Friendswood (160 miles) so that they could take Charles' LTC class. I've set through three different LTC classes. Charles has the best instruction on the law, and he runs a safe range. On a scale of 1 to 10, he scores 20.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Am I overreacting?

#18

Post by WTR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:40 pm

I think you will find this forum to be very informative and with very little negative judgement concerning questions you may have. I had a good instructor but this forum has filled in the gaps and clarified a few areas for me.

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Benbrook / SW Fort Worth

Re: Am I overreacting?

#19

Post by AJSully421 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 pm

So, warning shots have been covered. The part about the fake training pistol, I think that you are severely overreacting on that one.

My entire purpose behind having a plastic training blue gun is to be able to do stuff with it that I would not dream of doing with a real handgun, even if unloaded, and to be able to demonstrate things like weapon retention and even showing how easily I can take your weapon away from you or out of your open-top holster before you can respond. Sometimes that involves pointing it at a person. That is what those are for. Short of sticking the thing into body orifices, there isn’t anything that someone could do with a plastic training pistol that would cause me even the slightest bit of concern.

Your statement of “treating anything that resembles a gun like it is a gun” works fine if we are talking about airsoft, B.B. guns, and even Nerf guns and staple guns, but a plastic training pistol cannot possibly fire any projectile, and so you are overreacting.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

User avatar

Middle Age Russ
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1205
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Spring-Woodlands

Re: Am I overreacting?

#20

Post by Middle Age Russ » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:23 pm

Your statement of “treating anything that resembles a gun like it is a gun” works fine if we are talking about airsoft, B.B. guns, and even Nerf guns and staple guns, but a plastic training pistol cannot possibly fire any projectile, and so you are overreacting.
Without knowing the full context of why the training gun was repeatedly aimed at students and "play-fired", I have to disagree with you here. I fully understand the use of "blue" guns in training, and agree that they are useful for certain illustrations that cannot be done safely with a functioning firearm. Even so, the incident appears to have been in the classroom portion of the LTC class and I don't see a need to point even "blue" guns at students for any of the content of the class. Also, this clearly detracted from the class rather than adding to the content. Therefore, it was a bad thing for the instructor to do, and the instructor should perhaps look for another way of illustrating whatever point he/she was trying to make.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

User avatar

allisji
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 894
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Seabrook

Re: Am I overreacting?

#21

Post by allisji » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:43 pm

As far as the instructor going over all of the answers before giving the test... I don't know how other instructors do this, but the instructor I took the course from didn't specifically go over the test question by question... but he used the test as a guide to make sure that he had covered each topic that was on the test. Also at the end of the course for the topics that were covered lightly he did give us a little heads up over the answers. He also made certain to cover questions specifically if he felt that the questions or answers were specially confusing.

At the time, I thought that it was strange that he was basically giving us some of the answers for the test. But some of the questions were in "legalese" and some of us common folk don't handle the double and triple negatives very well. I think that a few tricky questions on the test were not going to be enough to cause him to disqualify a student who seemed otherwise intelligent enough to understand the justifications for the use of deadly force and other concepts. If a student seems to be misunderstanding the material in such a way as to be dangerous, then I think that a good instructor likely can tell before the test is given most of the time. After all, Texas is a "shall issue" state.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Am I overreacting?

#22

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Middle Age Russ wrote:
Your statement of “treating anything that resembles a gun like it is a gun” works fine if we are talking about airsoft, B.B. guns, and even Nerf guns and staple guns, but a plastic training pistol cannot possibly fire any projectile, and so you are overreacting.
Without knowing the full context of why the training gun was repeatedly aimed at students and "play-fired", I have to disagree with you here. I fully understand the use of "blue" guns in training, and agree that they are useful for certain illustrations that cannot be done safely with a functioning firearm. Even so, the incident appears to have been in the classroom portion of the LTC class and I don't see a need to point even "blue" guns at students for any of the content of the class. Also, this clearly detracted from the class rather than adding to the content. Therefore, it was a bad thing for the instructor to do, and the instructor should perhaps look for another way of illustrating whatever point he/she was trying to make.
:iagree:

It's been a while since I took the class, but my instructor did not feel the need to use a training gun to illustrate any teaching points in the classroom portion. I could understand using such a tool if he wanted to explain the basics of proper grip or which way to point the weapon once you get to the range, but that was not needed in my class.

I am fine with using such an aid if there is a need for it. I am also fine with pointing a training gun at someone, but again, only if there is a need for it. I don't know of anything in the LTC curriculum that constitutes such a need.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Benbrook / SW Fort Worth

Re: Am I overreacting?

#23

Post by AJSully421 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Middle Age Russ wrote:
Your statement of “treating anything that resembles a gun like it is a gun” works fine if we are talking about airsoft, B.B. guns, and even Nerf guns and staple guns, but a plastic training pistol cannot possibly fire any projectile, and so you are overreacting.
Without knowing the full context of why the training gun was repeatedly aimed at students and "play-fired", I have to disagree with you here. I fully understand the use of "blue" guns in training, and agree that they are useful for certain illustrations that cannot be done safely with a functioning firearm. Even so, the incident appears to have been in the classroom portion of the LTC class and I don't see a need to point even "blue" guns at students for any of the content of the class. Also, this clearly detracted from the class rather than adding to the content. Therefore, it was a bad thing for the instructor to do, and the instructor should perhaps look for another way of illustrating whatever point he/she was trying to make.
:iagree:

It's been a while since I took the class, but my instructor did not feel the need to use a training gun to illustrate any teaching points in the classroom portion. I could understand using such a tool if he wanted to explain the basics of proper grip or which way to point the weapon once you get to the range, but that was not needed in my class.

I am fine with using such an aid if there is a need for it. I am also fine with pointing a training gun at someone, but again, only if there is a need for it. I don't know of anything in the LTC curriculum that constitutes such a need.
I understand what everyone is saying... and I am not a LTC instructor, and if I were, I would not be doing anything like this. But here is the big picture, this guy is sitting in a class where he is learning the ins and the outs of carrying a handgun that he may have to use to kill another human being... and having a plastic training pistol pointed at him and having an instructor say "Bang bang" makes him feel "uncomfortable". If a plastic pistol is outside of this guy's comfort zone, then my concern about that either equals or outweighs what the instructor was doing. Again, big picture.

Sure, this instructor's overall behavior is goofy at best and needs to be addressed, but there is more going on here than just him.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

User avatar

Bitter Clinger
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: North Dallas

Re: Am I overreacting?

#24

Post by Bitter Clinger » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:20 pm

AJSully421 wrote:So, warning shots have been covered. The part about the fake training pistol, I think that you are severely overreacting on that one.

My entire purpose behind having a plastic training blue gun is to be able to do stuff with it that I would not dream of doing with a real handgun, even if unloaded, and to be able to demonstrate things like weapon retention and even showing how easily I can take your weapon away from you or out of your open-top holster before you can respond. Sometimes that involves pointing it at a person. That is what those are for. Short of sticking the thing into body orifices, there isn’t anything that someone could do with a plastic training pistol that would cause me even the slightest bit of concern.

Your statement of “treating anything that resembles a gun like it is a gun” works fine if we are talking about airsoft, B.B. guns, and even Nerf guns and staple guns, but a plastic training pistol cannot possibly fire any projectile, and so you are overreacting.
:iagree: Well said!
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח


Topic author
Zook
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm
Location: DFW/Lubbock

Re: Am I overreacting?

#25

Post by Zook » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I know I wasn’t going to get shot with the training gun, just not a fan of having anything that resembles a firearm pointed at my face.
I’d rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3064
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Am I overreacting?

#26

Post by SewTexas » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:26 am

Zook wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. I know I wasn’t going to get shot with the training gun, just not a fan of having anything that resembles a firearm pointed at my face.

I've taken a pistol class, and a CHL from Karl Rehn and one of his instructors. A CHL in CO, and another here in TX again....I can honestly say, I've never had anything real, toy, plastic or rubber pointed at me.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


treadlightly
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Am I overreacting?

#27

Post by treadlightly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:59 am

Pointing a blue gun at someone outside of a defined training drill is at the least bad muscle memory training. In my CHL class, I got swept many times with the instructor's real guns. I saw him clear the gun each time and I didn't figure I could cure him of his insanity, so I didn't say anything. I wish I had.

He was former LEO and had done a lot of good service. I guess that's why I let it go. As far as I know, he doesn't teach any more. I think the word got out.

Curiously, several times he stated that if anyone pointed a muzzle at him he would return fire.

User avatar

Paladin
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 2082
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:02 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Am I overreacting?

#28

Post by Paladin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:41 am

Sorry you had a bad experience training.

There are good and bad instructors in any sort of training/education. I've had both.

I would encourage you to read some of the class/instructor reviews on this website and continue training with other instructors. There are a ton of good ones in Texas.
NRA Endowment, TSRA Life, GOA Life Member
Texas State Guard


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 3400
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Am I overreacting?

#29

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:27 am

treadlightly wrote:Pointing a blue gun at someone outside of a defined training drill is at the least bad muscle memory training. In my CHL class, I got swept many times with the instructor's real guns. I saw him clear the gun each time and I didn't figure I could cure him of his insanity, so I didn't say anything. I wish I had.

He was former LEO and had done a lot of good service. I guess that's why I let it go. As far as I know, he doesn't teach any more. I think the word got out.

Curiously, several times he stated that if anyone pointed a muzzle at him he would return fire.
Let's hope he never unholsters his weapon while standing in front of a mirror...
Ding dong, the witch is dead

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”