Posts in topic: 8

Re: 30.06 Sign on Private Residence

Post by Grundy1133 »

Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
3dfxMM wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:the MPA applies to any texas resident from my understanding... that''s why business owners can't prohibit people from having guns on their parking lots. It would keep citizens from exercising the MPA which is illegal. that's why 30.06/07 signs dont include parking lots/parking garages/driveways
The MPA only covers you as long as you are in the vehicle. The 30.06/30.07 would still apply when you get out of the vehicle.
i guess my instructor was wrong about a lot of stuff cause everything he told us so far has apparently been wrong according to this forum... he said you can carry on any public or private parking lot/parking garage/driveway cause they arent covered under the 30.06/30.07 signs.
30.06/07 covers 'property', not 'premises' so includes any real property that is posted.
see he told us the signs were only valid for the premises not the property so i guess he needs to update his info?
He needs to get his info straight. It has always been this way. Unfortunately many instructors are teaching incorrect info like this. I can see those areas that are grey, but this one is a very straight forward so he should be teaching it correctly.
what if the parking lot isnt owned by the building/business owner? a scenario comes to mind where I used to work for a company that had 30.06/30.07 signs posted on their doors. (Zodiac Seats. some of you may be familiar with it) however the gravel parking lot isnt actually owned by zodiac. it is a "public parking lot" would that parking lot area be exempt from those signs?
NRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Grundy1133 wrote: what if the parking lot isnt owned by the building/business owner? a scenario comes to mind where I used to work for a company that had 30.06/30.07 signs posted on their doors. (Zodiac Seats. some of you may be familiar with it) however the gravel parking lot isnt actually owned by zodiac. it is a "public parking lot" would that parking lot area be exempt from those signs?
Unless you know differently, you may have to assume the parking lot is owned by the building owner and off limits. In the case where you know it is a different owner, then you would be clear to carry in the lot UNLESS the owner of the lot and the building owner are working together and they believe the sign on the building also is for the parking lot. Yeah, I know, confusing. :???:

Realistically, they should post 30.06 at the 'entrance' like a 30.07 sign requires, but 30.06 only requires 'conspicuously' posted. However, unless you are just going to be standing in the parking lot you would have to disarm to enter the building anyway, so you can just leave it in the vehicle.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Grundy1133 »

Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: what if the parking lot isnt owned by the building/business owner? a scenario comes to mind where I used to work for a company that had 30.06/30.07 signs posted on their doors. (Zodiac Seats. some of you may be familiar with it) however the gravel parking lot isnt actually owned by zodiac. it is a "public parking lot" would that parking lot area be exempt from those signs?
Unless you know differently, you may have to assume the parking lot is owned by the building owner and off limits. In the case where you know it is a different owner, then you would be clear to carry in the lot UNLESS the owner of the lot and the building owner are working together and they believe the sign on the building also is for the parking lot. Yeah, I know, confusing. :???:

Realistically, they should post 30.06 at the 'entrance' like a 30.07 sign requires, but 30.06 only requires 'conspicuously' posted. However, unless you are just going to be standing in the parking lot you would have to disarm to enter the building anyway, so you can just leave it in the vehicle.
yeah. but if my buddy wants to go somewhere can i take my gun out of my car, holster it and get in my buddies car or does he have to part next to me roll down our windows and toss my gun into his car? :mrgreen: lol
NRA Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Keith B »

Grundy1133 wrote: yeah. but if my buddy wants to go somewhere can i take my gun out of my car, holster it and get in my buddies car or does he have to part next to me roll down our windows and toss my gun into his car? :mrgreen: lol
Meet in an unposted lot and leave your car there.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”