State Jail convictions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

State Jail convictions

Post by barres » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I tried to search the forum for this, but a search for "State Jail" drops the word state and only searches for jail.

I have a co-worker who served time in a Texas State Jail facility. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't state Jail convictions still felonies, even though the sentence is for less than 2 years? I ask, because he has asked me to sell him a firearm.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Jail convictions

Post by tommyg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:32 pm

DO NOT SELL IT TO HIM Anything that can be punished by over a year in jail no sale :rules:
N.R.A. Patron Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 pm

State Jails are for convicted felons. Don’t sale.

OneGun

Post by OneGun » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 pm

Do not do the sale, unless you want to go to Jail!!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:05 pm

you can sale to me tho. what is it and how much? lol
NRA Member

Topic author
barres
Posts in topic: 2

Post by barres » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks, guys. Y'all confirmed what I thought.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

allisji

Post by allisji » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:10 pm

This topic has me wondering what would be the obligation to report to police if a person whom you know or suspect to be a prohibited person is attempting to purchase a gun.

Theoretically I would think that if you suspect that the person will continue to pursue obtaining a firearm by other means then you should alert authorities.

But if you suspect that the individual will no longer attempt to obtain a weapon then unless required by law I would think that you would not be under obligation to report. What are the odds that a person may not realize that they are prohibited from owning a firearm? I would think that this would be something that would be made clear when a felony conviction is made.

Certainly if you suspect that the person is attempting to obtain a weapon in order to commit a criminal act then you should report it immediately.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state rep Dennis Paul about co-sponsoring HB560.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a box on every state-issued ID indicating the person's firearm eligibility? A simple yes or no.

Good job on doing your due diligence!
Jeff

C-dub

Post by C-dub » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 pm

To the OP: I’m sorry your coworker has put you in this very awkward position. He should know better.

Regarding allisji’s thoughts: I was thinking the same thing. This is a heckova position for the OP to be in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 pm

C-dub wrote:To the OP: I’m sorry your coworker has put you in this very awkward position. He should know better.

Regarding allisji’s thoughts: I was thinking the same thing. This is a heckova position for the OP to be in.
He probably does know better and is looking for someone who will sell him one despite his ineligibility.

In a situation where you aren’t sure would you be able to conduct the transaction through a FFL with a 4473 and background check? Make the prospective buyer pay the FFL transfer fee up front with no refund if denied.
“In the information society, nobody thinks. We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought.” - Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”