My recent situation

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My recent situation

Post by PBratton »

2 way viper alarm system with ignition disconnect.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Yikes! I have a 2000 model year F-250 diesel but it usually doesn't leave the Kerrville/Fredericksburg area. We've heard about lots of car thefts at La Canterra - isn't that the shopping area west of 1604 on I-10?
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Venus Pax »

Our truck is the F-150. I know this isn't what the more dedicated campers use to tow, but our trailer is light and this is the truck/trailer combination we could afford.

I'm curious about the fuses. How would I know which fuses to remove to keep the truck from starting? I'm wondering if this plus the club would make a decent 1-2 punch to keep them from taking off in our truck. Have any of you pulled the fuses regularly? Has this caused you any electrical problems? I just talked to my husband about that, and he's worried that this would mess up our electrical and leave us stranded.

To answer Interblog's question: The service department at our local Ford dealership said that they reached their hands under the front grill and disabled the horn so that the alarm wouldn't draw attention. They busted the handle, which he said took less than a minute, and this gave them access to the cab. He said that the reason they went through our console is because most people keep their valet keys in there. They were planning to simply drive it out of the lot. My husband said he didn't even know if we have a valet key.

Carlson, what is this ravelco?
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

johncanfield wrote:Yikes! I have a 2000 model year F-250 diesel but it usually doesn't leave the Kerrville/Fredericksburg area. We've heard about lots of car thefts at La Canterra - isn't that the shopping area west of 1604 on I-10?
Yes. In fact, this is where the Six Flags park is located where our truck was broken into.

When we are home, we are normally in low-risk areas. Our vehicles stay in the garage when home and in the school parking lots when we are at work.

I realize we could stop traveling, but we don't want to. :lol:

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

Venus Pax wrote:Our truck is the F-150. I know this isn't what the more dedicated campers use to tow, but our trailer is light and this is the truck/trailer combination we could afford.

I'm curious about the fuses. How would I know which fuses to remove to keep the truck from starting? I'm wondering if this plus the club would make a decent 1-2 punch to keep them from taking off in our truck. Have any of you pulled the fuses regularly? Has this caused you any electrical problems? I just talked to my husband about that, and he's worried that this would mess up our electrical and leave us stranded.

To answer Interblog's question: The service department at our local Ford dealership said that they reached their hands under the front grill and disabled the horn so that the alarm wouldn't draw attention. They busted the handle, which he said took less than a minute, and this gave them access to the cab. He said that the reason they went through our console is because most people keep their valet keys in there. They were planning to simply drive it out of the lot. My husband said he didn't even know if we have a valet key.

Carlson, what is this ravelco?
It wires in to the engine compartment. After it is installed they leave you with a button that you have to plug in before the vehicle starts. It is an anit-theft device.
They will come to you to install it. Here is the website. http://www.ravelco.com/

Topic author
Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Thank you! I will look into this!

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Venus Pax wrote: I'm curious about the fuses. How would I know which fuses to remove to keep the truck from starting? I'm wondering if this plus the club would make a decent 1-2 punch to keep them from taking off in our truck. Have any of you pulled the fuses regularly? Has this caused you any electrical problems? I just talked to my husband about that, and he's worried that this would mess up our electrical and leave us stranded.
I know on my owners manual it has a break down of the fuse box (what fuse is for what system). I would think you would want to find one for the fuel pump. Don't have mine handy so can't tell you. But I know I wouldn't want to be doing that regularly for fear of messing something up; what I don't know but it can't be good constantly pulling it in and out. Honestly, you would be better off getting a quality alarm installed by a reputable shop.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

unfortunately, from this time of year through the summer we'll hear about truck thefts every night on the news. Mostly Ford and Tundras. If there is something being towed, like a Uhaul, all the better....and you can bet they are heading to Mexico.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Ignition disabler switch could also work. Tucked somewhere convenient under the dash. Linked to the ignition fuse.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

this is why i never leave anything in my car that i wouldnt mind getting stolen. if that means i wont get to go to six flags, so be it. As soon as they remove their signs i'll start spending money there. :mrgreen: on an unrelated note, my girlfriend asked me once "So anywhere you're not able to take your gun you won't go in with me?" I said "Probably not unless I absolutely have to." and every day I see her she says "Are you carrying today?" i just reply "Everyday." and she just rolls her eyes. She doesn't get it... I'm hoping I'll never have to use my weapon... but if I ever do, I'm sure she won't be rolling her eyes then... Like today I went with her to go meet a guy who contacted her on craigslist who wanted to buy her car because she was scared to go alone. (understandable) I told her if she would hurry and submit her application and get her LTC and start carrying, she would feel safer everywhere she went. I know I do! Ever since I started carrying I've felt tons safer at the gas pumps, or in a parking lot at night. before I always felt exposed and defenseless. All I had was a knife to fend off anyone who decided they wanted to mug me. (When people look at me they don't exactly think 'hmm i bet hes an easy target'. 6'2" 290Lbs. not many people wanna pick a fight with me lol. :lol: )
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”