A question...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 3485
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: A question...

#16

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

:txflag:
Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Sorry... I should have been clearer...
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.
It is interesting that Sprouts only chooses bar a certain type of gun, carried by a small percentage of all gun owners. They do not bar rifles (including concealed rifles) at all. They also do not bar handguns carried by LEO's, VESP's, or criminals. Apparently guns in the hands of criminals scare them less than guns in the hands of the single most law abiding segment of the population. And to be clear, they could choose to bar all of these other guns through a combination of signage and physical security. They just don't think there is any risk there, apparently. But if a LTC holder happens to come in with a CCW, then surely a blood bath will ensue...
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

PriestTheRunner
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:33 pm

Re: A question...

#17

Post by PriestTheRunner » Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
When they are introduced, please let us know. I will be calling my reps to ask them to make this a priority and want to do so immediately after it is presented.

Thanks!

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 17113
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: A question...

#18

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
When they are introduced, please let us know. I will be calling my reps to ask them to make this a priority and want to do so immediately after it is presented.

Thanks!
We have to get a GOOD bill "author" or it will be useless.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3143
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: A question...

#19

Post by SewTexas » Tue May 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
When they are introduced, please let us know. I will be calling my reps to ask them to make this a priority and want to do so immediately after it is presented.

Thanks!
We have to get a GOOD bill "author" or it will be useless.

Chas.

this is encouraging news. and yes, the author, and co-signers will be important.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: A question...

#20

Post by twomillenium » Tue May 22, 2018 4:26 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

:txflag:
Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Sorry... I should have been clearer...
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.
I understand what you mean and until some law forces us to do business with the "sprout " type stores it is still the property of the owner their rep.
I will do business else where, I don't want the slippery slope effect that takes ANY rights from ANY private property owners even if they do business with the public. I have choices and so should they, but let's not make my choices theirs or their choices mine.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

RoyGBiv
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 7309
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:41 am
Location: Fort Worth

Re: A question...

#21

Post by RoyGBiv » Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm

twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

:txflag:
Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Sorry... I should have been clearer...
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.
I understand what you mean and until some law forces us to do business with the "sprout " type stores it is still the property of the owner their rep.
I will do business else where, I don't want the slippery slope effect that takes ANY rights from ANY private property owners even if they do business with the public. I have choices and so should they, but let's not make my choices theirs or their choices mine.
I appreciate your position.
If there were not so many other laws that force government mandates onto business owners, I might agree with you. But, if government can force a business owner to comply with ADA or require them to have fire extinguishers in their building, I think it's hypocritical that an enumerated right is allowed to be infringed in the same place.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Image
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: A question...

#22

Post by TreyHouston » Tue May 22, 2018 8:52 pm

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

:txflag:
Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Sorry... I should have been clearer...
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.
I understand what you mean and until some law forces us to do business with the "sprout " type stores it is still the property of the owner their rep.
I will do business else where, I don't want the slippery slope effect that takes ANY rights from ANY private property owners even if they do business with the public. I have choices and so should they, but let's not make my choices theirs or their choices mine.
I appreciate your position.
If there were not so many other laws that force government mandates onto business owners, I might agree with you. But, if government can force a business owner to comply with ADA or require them to have fire extinguishers in their building, I think it's hypocritical that an enumerated right is allowed to be infringed in the same place.
This bill needs its own post. Will his be heard in a special session or wait till next year? Can we get the Gov to hold a special session?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 5843
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: A question...

#23

Post by Liberty » Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 am

TreyHouston wrote: This bill needs its own post. Will his be heard in a special session or wait till next year? Can we get the Gov to hold a special session?
It would be very unlikely that a special session would be called during an election silly season.. Legislators have far more important things to do like, raise money and make promises they don't intend to keep.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

OldCurlyWolf
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:00 am

Re: A question...

#24

Post by OldCurlyWolf » Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am
Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: A question...

#25

Post by OlBill » Wed May 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am
Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
You sir, are a giant among men.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”