TX LTC Target

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX LTC Target

Post by Paladin »

jeffbird wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:45 pm
Charles L. Cotton wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:18 pm I asked DPS that same question. When DPS changed the target form the TX-PT target to the B-27 target, it wasn't just for the CHL class. It was also for the DPS Academy. Switching back to the B-27 brought the point-of-aim (POA) to the true center-of-mass (COM) thus reducing the likelihood of rounds going high during a fight. (Palming is more common under stress.)

Chas.
Interesting.

Also it is interesting that they expect the shots to go high rather than low.
The DPS had at least one gunfight where the shots all went high. Their answer to the problem was COM targeting.

It's okay for a basic qualification.

For those of us that actually want to learn how to win any gunfight (like when the badguy is wearing hard body armor and all those COM hits are useless), the ATF Target is my favorite.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Lena wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am Just a question for some here Know why the 1st target was blue?
No. Why?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grundy1133 »

Liberty wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:43 pm
Lena wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:25 am Just a question for some here Know why the 1st target was blue?
No. Why?
because blue ink is cheaper. :biggrinjester:
NRA Member

Lena
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lena »

An activist group back when the targets were 1st printed complained at the color so it was changed, also when Bass Pro opened by the airport they had an indoor range that would allow the blue targets but not the 1st run black ones then NO human form targets at all, I dont know new it that ever changed
Stay Safe

WildRose
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildRose »

bigtek wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 am
WildRose wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:14 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:09 pm
kg5ie wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:49 pm I think the PC police got involved too. Something along the lines of "rewarding for head shots."
I know a lot of ranges dont allow "headshots" and a few of them allow you to do head shots but only if you turn the target upside down. (kinda stupid in my opinion) but to each their own.
That's because they don't want you to damage the hangers.
If that's true they would also ban targets like this with aiming points even closer to the clips.

It is true and it is exactly the reason cited by quite a few range owners I've talked with over the last few years. I don't see any of them handing out those types of targets either.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

flechero

shooting low under stress

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:58 am
Grundy1133 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 pm whenever I try to shoot under pressure (which is hard to replicate I real scenario but I usually use a timer of some sort i give myself x amount of seconds to shoot. kinda like they use for competitions) and my shots almost always go a tad low.
I’m curious..... do you alaready have a good sight picture when that happens?

I can’t provide a hard source for this, but I remember hearing somewhere that it isn’t uncommon for an officer who is shooting under duress to put his first shot into the ground hear the perp’s feet because he pulls the trigger while raising the gun from the low-ready, before he has a sight picture. That may be pure hoakum, or maybe it used to be true but that modern training techniques have eliminated the problem. I would expect that pushing the gun out from a “Sul” position instead of raising it from the low-ready might help to mitigate shots into the ground, but I don’t know if it would raise shots that are low in the center of mass.

We were taught that under high stress your mind wants a GOOD look at the danger so your subconscious tendency is to shoot when you see the sights lower in your visual window so not to obscure your focus... makes sense to me, and thankfully I can't confirm the under actual stress part.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”