Maybe the dumbest mistake ever

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Maybe the dumbest mistake ever

Post by Lynyrd »

This may be the worst, and dumbest mistake I've ever heard of in regards to CC.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/cr ... DnIe5OYAN/
A Xenia man in his 60s accidentally discharged his handgun, striking himself in the groin Monday evening inside the Austin Landing HomeGoods store.

The man was a customer who was in the restroom when it happened, Miami Twp. police officer James Swearingen said. No one else was around, and the CCW permit holder was taken with injuries that were not life-threatening to Kettering Medical Center.
The man, who is expected to be OK, did not break any laws by carrying the gun into the store, she said. Ohio’s CCW laws allow anyone with a permit to carry into a store unless there is a posting in the store prohibiting weapons be brought inside -- concealed or not.
The holster was filled with some type of paper to make the gun fit, the spokeswoman, Cheryl Dillin, told News Center 7’s Malik Perkins on Tuesday.
Stuffed in paper to make the gun fit? :shock: If this were not so tragic it would almost be comical.

For all of the people out there who are new to CC, or are thinking about it. If you don't have a holster that properly secures you weapon, or can't afford one, DON"T CARRY IT.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Maybe the dumbest mistake ever

Post by puma guy »

Lynyrd wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 pm This may be the worst, and dumbest mistake I've ever heard of in regards to CC.

Stuffed in paper to make the gun fit? :shock: If this were not so tragic it would almost be comical.
Maybe it was toilet paper in the event there was none available. Kinda using the holster for double doody!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My mom used to have us put tissue paper in our shoes since she would buy them one size too big so we didn't grow out of them as quickly. A holster is not a kid's shoe.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

fitted kydex holsters are a dime a dozen... actually more like $15-$80 depending on who you buy from... but you can get a cheap holster that fits your gun easy peasy. no need to make shift one.... lol at least the headline wasn't "Man who was stuffing holster with tissue to make gun look bigger, accidentally shoots self in the bathroom."
NRA Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

That’s not even remotely the dumbest I’ve seen. It gets better when they do that during the commission of a crime ....... and they got caught and brought to your ER for treatment ....... and then you get to listen to some pretty wild stories trying to explain how it happened.

Him: “I fell down and was on my back, man, and Esse reach down like this (pantomimes holding a pistol sideways, parallel to the ground) and SHOT me man! I dindu nuffin!”

Me: “‘Zat so? How do you explain the powder burns inside your jockey shorts and all over your bidness, and none on the outside of your pants?”
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 pm That’s not even remotely the dumbest I’ve seen. It gets better when they do that during the commission of a crime .......
Okay, I'll have to agree with your statement. I should have added context. This was a bad mistake for someone who was trying to do right and just carry a gun legally for protection. I still just can't fathom the lack of red flags going off in the head of someone who would stuff a holster with paper to make the gun fit better.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Well, I can recall one about as stupid as the above anecdotes:

Remember the NYC athlete who went to a club and was trying to carry
his <Glock?> in his sweatpants, with no holster?

As the gun was slipping down he tried to catch it and ending up
hitting the trigger and shooting himself. Then was arrested under
NYC's strict laws.

That's what I remember....correct me or add additional details if you know 'em.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Allons

Post by Allons »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:16 pm Well, I can recall one about as stupid as the above anecdotes:

Remember the NYC athlete who went to a club and was trying to carry
his <Glock?> in his sweatpants, with no holster?

As the gun was slipping down he tried to catch it and ending up
hitting the trigger and shooting himself. Then was arrested under
NYC's strict laws.

That's what I remember....correct me or add additional details if you know 'em.

SIA

Yup, happened just like that Plaxico Burress was the athlete. Did time for it as well.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”