30.06/7 signs and Parking Lots

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jonmo1
Posts in topic: 3

30.06/7 signs and Parking Lots

Post by jonmo1 »

I just got my LTC, and this question has bothered me.

So my place of employment has the signs posted at the entrance.
But you can keep arms in your car, it's an extension of your home.
So which rule applies?

Thanks.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 30.06/7 signs and Parking Lots

Post by oohrah »

As long as your firearm remains locked/concealed in your car, you are not violating 30.06/7. There is even a TX parking lot law which protects you.

That being said, do not allow your anti-gun employer to know you are keeping a firearm in your vehicle, or they can terminate you without cause or reason if they desire.

IANAL
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The trick to remembering this is that the 30.06/30.07 laws only apply when you are carrying under the authority of your LTC. But since the LTC only applies when you are carrying against the normal law, it doesn't apply if you have a pistol concealed in your car in accordance with the law under section 46.02. Since it is not illegal to carry concealed in your car, even without an LTC, the signs will not apply to you.

But I concur with the other advice to never let your employer know you have the LTC or carry in your car. Anyone who went to that length (posting the parking lot) is probably fairly anti-gun and letting them know would be an example of a career limiting move.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
jonmo1

Post by jonmo1 »

Thanks, that makes sense.
Basically the LTC is only effective when carrying in places not otherwise allowed by law.

I have no intention of letting my employer (or anyone) know I have a weapon in the vehicle.
That’s the point of concealed carry, to keep it concealed.
Which reminds me to remove the Ruger decal from my truck. Don’t need to advertise enthusiasm either.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

jonmo1 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:40 pm Thanks, that makes sense.
Basically the LTC is only effective when carrying in places not otherwise allowed by law.

I have no intention of letting my employer (or anyone) know I have a weapon in the vehicle.
Which reminds me to remove the Ruger decal from my truck. Don’t need to advertise enthusiasm either.
thats the main reason i dont put my NRA stickers on my car or any gun or ammo related stickers. people are too crazy now a days. they might be "offended" and decide to vandalize my car.
NRA Member

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

Grundy1133 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:03 pm

thats the main reason i dont put my NRA stickers on my car or any gun or ammo related stickers. people are too crazy now a days. they might be "offended" and decide to vandalize my car.
I thought long and hard about putting an NRA sticker on my car and came to the same conclusion you did.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

oohrah wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:00 am As long as your firearm remains locked/concealed in your car, you are not violating 30.06/7. There is even a TX parking lot law which protects you.

That being said, do not allow your anti-gun employer to know you are keeping a firearm in your vehicle, or they can terminate you without cause or reason if they desire.

IANAL
Every employer can generally terminate you without cause, but if there is evidence that the termination is due to your keeping a firearm in your car in the parking lot, then they would be violating the Texas Labor Code 52.061. This may give you a leg up in pursuing a wrongful termination suit. But that doesn't mean they won't do it, so keep it to yourself if you decide to leave your gun in the car.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

oohrah wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:00 am As long as your firearm remains locked/concealed in your car, you are not violating 30.06/7. There is even a TX parking lot law which protects you.

IANAL
Take a look at your employee handbook. If there is a policy stating that firearm possession may result in discipline "up to and including termination" print that out NOW and keep it at home just in case you are terminated "for no reason" shortly after they discover a gun in your car. Copies of your performance evals (assuming they are positive) would also help your case, of course. It is illegal for them to fire you because you have a gun in your car, but never assume that they (or anyone else) will tell the truth when push comes to shove.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 5

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:35 am

IANAL
Take a look at your employee handbook. If there is a policy stating that firearm possession may result in discipline "up to and including termination" print that out NOW and keep it at home just in case you are terminated "for no reason" shortly after they discover a gun in your car. Copies of your performance evals (assuming they are positive) would also help your case, of course. It is illegal for them to fire you because you have a gun in your car, but never assume that they (or anyone else) will tell the truth when push comes to shove.
HR is not likely to include any data or take an action that would be so clearly counterproductive as saying one was fired for having a firearm in their vehicle in the employer's parking lot. They can very easily come up with an innocuous reason, after all. My employer does not know what, how, or if I carry and I don't worry about it.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

gun-i-love-it-when-my-wife-lets-me-buy-more-gu-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg
Allons wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm

I thought long and hard about putting an NRA sticker on my car and came to the same conclusion you did.
Mine also applies to T-shirts... I see so many out there about I'm Armed, yada, yada... I don't need to advertise... However... This is the one I want for Fathers Day.

Allons

Post by Allons »

Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am gun-i-love-it-when-my-wife-lets-me-buy-more-gu-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Mine also applies to T-shirts... I see so many out there about I'm Armed, yada, yada... I don't need to advertise... However... This is the one I want for Fathers Day.

Yeah thats a cool shirt.
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Allons wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm
Tex1961 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am gun-i-love-it-when-my-wife-lets-me-buy-more-gu-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Yeah thats a cool shirt.
:iagree:
Agreed, cool shirt. My wife is a quilter. We have an agreement. Whatever she spends on quilting, I can spend that much on guns, ammo, training, and rockets. I'm way behind. :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

jonmo1 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:10 am I just got my LTC, and this question has bothered me.

So my place of employment has the signs posted at the entrance.
But you can keep arms in your car, it's an extension of your home.
So which rule applies?

Thanks.
1. Your car is not an extension of your home. You can have a handgun openly displayed on your kitchen counter but you can't have one openly displayed on the dashboard of your car. (Unless you're a special government snowflake.)

2. A property owner can prohibit guns in vehicles on their property if they're not your enployer. Suppose you work in an office building your employer leases and shares with other companies. The building owners and management can ban guns in the parking garage for tenants and guests.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

While an employer may terminate you, they'll never admit it do to your secretly hiding out a pistol in your car.

Their lawyers know their stuff and can come with plausible reasonable reasonable for letting you go and you will swing slowly in the wind with zero recourse except find a new job.

Of course, if you work for such a company, perhaps they'd be doing you a favor by canning because you believe in self defense and tut tut they don't because they know what's best for you...

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:08 pm While an employer may terminate you, they'll never admit it do to your secretly hiding out a pistol in your car.

Their lawyers know their stuff and can come with plausible reasonable reasonable for letting you go and you will swing slowly in the wind with zero recourse except find a new job.

Of course, if you work for such a company, perhaps they'd be doing you a favor by canning because you believe in self defense and tut tut they don't because they know what's best for you...
:iagree:
Unless something better comes along, I have about 22 months until I retire (again).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”