Jarhead Confidence

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Jarhead Confidence

Post by Greybeard »

Had another student that I respected in LTC class yesterday. USMC for around 20 years and cop for 6. Around 6 ft. 3", 225. He had been fairly quiet though the normal coverage of situational awareness, non-violent dispute resolution, body language, etc.

Then, near end of class, he briefly shared his story about an incident in a Walmart parking lot. As he, wife and daughter exited store, some dude was just outside, operating a switchblade. He said the dude started following them through the parking lot, still manipulating the blade. As they got close to his car, he handed wife his keys and said "Y'all get in the car and lock it. I will be there in a minute."

He said he then turned to face the dude in a "Command Presence" position, arms folded across chest and said something to the effect of "Ok, it's just you and me now. What do you want to do?" He said the guy promptly turned and walked away.

I asked "Did you have a gun on you?".

His reply, "No, I was just gonna kill him with my hands."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

OneGun

Re: Jarhead Confidence

Post by OneGun »

Semper Fi!!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

gold medal response lol

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You gotta love a marine. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KLB

Post by KLB »

Semper Fi.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

"No, I was just gonna kill him with my hands."
This is the way I want my Devil Dogs to think. My younger brother graduated from Annapolis in 1978 and retired from the Corps. I worked with Marine officers at the US Army Field Artillery School. They do, indeed, think differently.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

J Wilson

Post by J Wilson »

Semper Fi

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Ooooh-rah!
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

stash

Post by stash »

Sounds about right. Glad he is getting his LTC, although he probably could have handled the situation with his hands.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Have never been a Marine. I have been a Leo.

I found out my attitude about someone pulling a knife on me at age 16.
It REALLY TICKS ME OFF.

It pretty much matches this marine's attitude. :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

If unarmed (never happens, I always have hands, feet, teeth, etc., not to mention about 4-6 knives) I would be planning how to rip off his head and defecate down his throat. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Y'all sound surprised...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

RogueUSMC wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:05 pm Y'all sound surprised...lol
Surprised? Not I. I expect certain behaviors from those who have earned the privilege of wearing the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Always appreciative, never surprised. Thanks for making the beaches safe for us.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I don’t want to offend any Marines and this is a good story but I want to add a comment to consider. I understand the hand to hand combat training Marines go through and for a combat situation when someone is trying to kill you that is fine and necessary. Knife fights are not what we see on tv, someone with basic knife fighting skills can inflict injuries within seconds that will lead to death in minutes. Willing confronting an armed assailant with bare hands sounds like a good story line but it’s not close to the best self defense option. I doubt this perp had any knife fighting skills but what if he did? What if he went bare handed and the attacker sliced both carotid arteries with two quick swipes? He would have most likely bled to death in front of his family. I get the feel good stories and feelings of machismo but let’s consider reality here when considering self defense scenarios.
The best choice being unarmed was to get inside the car ensuring the family was safe, drive off and call 911. I doubt anyone unarmed with real world knife fighting experience would have approached an armed attacker willingly when there were better options. They know what damage a knife can inflict. Years ago I was listening to a knife fighting instructor talk about knife fighting. One thing that stick in my head was that he said there was one certainty about knife fighting. He said no matter how good you were that you were going to get cut. I also recall hearing an Army special forces guy talk about being in a firefight and thinking about running out in the hail of bullets until he thought about it and realized his training didn’t make him invisible to bullets. Confidence is fine but don’t let it overcome common sense.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

mrvmax may have made a point. A nasty prosecutor could fixate on the fact that the Marine had the opportunity to get in the car with the rest of his family and avoid the threat, but instead he chose to be confrontational. It might not end well.
-Ruark

howdy

Post by howdy »

I was always told "don"t let your alligator mouth get your hummingbird rear end in trouble" (I cleaned it up for the forum)
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”