ANY incidents of LTCs robbing stores?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

ANY incidents of LTCs robbing stores?

Post by Ruark »

Amidst all this talk about stores posting 06 signs, I'm wondering: has there been ONE SINGLE INCIDENT of somebody carrying legally into a store and committing a robbery?
-Ruark

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ANY incidents of LTCs robbing stores?

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Ruark wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am Amidst all this talk about stores posting 06 signs, I'm wondering: has there been ONE SINGLE INCIDENT of somebody carrying legally into a store and committing a robbery?
In short, no.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/LTC/reports/convrates.htm

Realistically speaking, not in the last 5 years that I looked at with any significant value. The line you want to look at is AGG ROBBERY. There was 1 in 2013 and 1 in 2014.... Out of 825,957 license holders in 2014.

Or in other words, 0.000242% of license holders in 2013 and 2014 committed armed robbery, and that doesn't even specify if they used a firearm or some other weapon.

Since 2014, there has not been one incident according to DPS, so it is a non-issue. That is why I am falling down on the side of no ability to exclude LTC holders simply based on the fact that they are a carrying LTC holder. We basically never commit crimes.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ELB »

The DPS tracks convictions of license holders and publishes it on their website. It does not describe the circumstances of each conviction, just how many occurred and for what type of offense.

For the period 2002-2017, there were 16 licenses holders convicted of robbery, or less than one per year. 2005 was the "high" (!) point when four were convicted. The only other multi-conviction year was 2011 when 2 were convicted of robbery. In 2017, 2015, 2010, and 2009 there were no convictions for robbery. In all other years, there was one.

ETA: I only looked up the line for "ROBBERY" in each report, not for AGG ROBBERY. Didn't think about that. Stand by.

ETA #2: For the years 2002-2015, I used Charles Cotton's report based on the DPS statistics, and it appears that Charles combines AGG ROBBERY and ROBBERY into a single statistic, "Robbery." So since there were no aggravated robbery convictions in 2016 or 2017, my stats for the 2002-2017 are correct and complete for both aggravated robbery and robbery combined.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

ELB wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 am . . . ETA #2: For the years 2002-2015, I used Charles Cotton's report based on the DPS statistics, and it appears that Charles combines AGG ROBBERY and ROBBERY into a single statistic, "Robbery." So since there were no aggravated robbery convictions in 2016 or 2017, my stats for the 2002-2017 are correct and complete for both aggravated robbery and robbery combined.
Robbery and aggravated robbery are combined in my report summary, but not in the detail sheets. The supporting detail is exactly as presented by DPS, but I don't publish that spreadsheet. There's nothing secret about it, but the overall summary of crimes per 100,000 population is more useful to the legislature and others.

I have done the work for 2016, but I still need to publish it. Ever the 15 year period from 2002 to 2016, 13 LTCs were convicted of aggravated robbery. Taking the number of CHL/LTCs over that same 15 yr. period shows that those 13 convictions cover 7,404,791 man-years.

Chas.

Topic author
Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Thanks. I was mainly interested in "store" robberies, not robberies of individuals. I just wanted to see the real-world relationship between (a) the posting of 30-06 signs and the fears of those who post them and (b) the actual probability that their fears will be realized. I still remember the convenience store owner who posted an 06 because he "didn't want to get robbed."
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Ruark wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 pm Thanks. I was mainly interested in "store" robberies, not robberies of individuals. I just wanted to see the real-world relationship between (a) the posting of 30-06 signs and the fears of those who post them and (b) the actual probability that their fears will be realized. I still remember the convenience store owner who posted an 06 because he "didn't want to get robbed."
Unfortunately, that information is not available. However, if every one of the 13 convictions over 15 years were store robberies, that shows stores are at no risk from LTCs. Also, the circumstances surrounding the events made the basis of these convictions may not be what we typically think of when talking about an aggravated robbery.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”