LTC Transfer question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TxknaBen
Posts in topic: 2

LTC Transfer question

Post by TxknaBen »

I recently moved across the border into Arkansas. I have updated my information and now have a non-resident Texas LTC. But since it is a non-resident type, I've found it's not honored in some states such as Colorado, Florida & S. Carolina. I've researched the licensing options in Arkansas and my options include starting a new application which includes the class, background check, etc. or doing a transfer which is just the background check but requires that I send them my Texas license.

I don't particularly like the idea of being without an license for 60 days, but I also don't want to pay for another class if I can avoid it. So my question is, if I do the transfer, can I order a replacement Texas LTC? This would enable me to have both the Arkansas & Texas LTC. I know with driver's licenses you are only allowed to have one state, but since my Texas LTC is already non-resident it seems like that wouldn't apply here.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LTC Transfer question

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TxknaBen wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:04 am I recently moved across the border into Arkansas. I have updated my information and now have a non-resident Texas LTC. But since it is a non-resident type, I've found it's not honored in some states such as Colorado, Florida & S. Carolina. I've researched the licensing options in Arkansas and my options include starting a new application which includes the class, background check, etc. or doing a transfer which is just the background check but requires that I send them my Texas license.

I don't particularly like the idea of being without an license for 60 days, but I also don't want to pay for another class if I can avoid it. So my question is, if I do the transfer, can I order a replacement Texas LTC? This would enable me to have both the Arkansas & Texas LTC. I know with driver's licenses you are only allowed to have one state, but since my Texas LTC is already non-resident it seems like that wouldn't apply here.
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have two suggestions. First, find out of Arkansas is going to return your Texas LTC. If so, the problem is solved. Either way, call DPS and explain the situation and ask if it's okay for you to order a replacement LTC under those circumstances. The general rule is replacement LTCs are for lost or stolen licenses, or when the licensee has had a name change.

Chas.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Could you send them your old LTC with your Texas address?
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

If you're in Texarkana, just move back across the state line to the better state. I'm from Arkansas, but I'd never move back there. :lol:
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
TxknaBen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TxknaBen »

This is from the Arkansas instruction document on transfer requirements...
The original valid Concealed Handgun Carry License from another state. (It will be retained in our file.)
I'll try calling DPS like Charles mentioned and see what they say. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go through with a new application. Having two LTC's seems like a better option than not being able to carry at all while they process my application.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”