Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Do you have a nonresident license to carry from another state?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 am

No. Just Texas.
60%
Yes. One other state.
29%
Yes. More than one other state.
11%

Total votes: 63

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Poll: Nonresident Out of State License

Post by skeathley »

Unless I am mistaken, Constitutional Carry is only valid for residents of that state. Having a license that is accepted by Maine (or other CC states) would still be required, unless you have residence there.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I must be getting old. My memory is not what it once was. I remember getting the Utah so I could carry in Ohio when visiting my brother. I think Utah covered another state or two back then that did not have reciprocal with Texas. This was all around 8 years ago or more so like I said, my memory of it may be off.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

skeathley wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:25 pm Unless I am mistaken, Constitutional Carry is only valid for residents of that state. Having a license that is accepted by Maine (or other CC states) would still be required, unless you have residence there.
The way it’s generally implemented is that it is not a crime to carry a handgun with or without a permit. Residency is irrelevant, as well as being virtually impossible to determine...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

oohrah wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:49 pm
OneGun wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:59 am I have a non-resident permit for Illannoy because I have family in the Chicago area that I visit each year. I am one of 57 people with a non-resident Illannoy permit.
Me too - same reason. (Unfortunately, she just got transferred to NJ <sigh>).
I would quit and find another place to work.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

My Texas license covers the states I visit. If I plan a trip that goes outside of that I'll investigate other licenses, but it simply isn't worth the time, effort, or expense at this time.

Jeff

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

My traveling days are over. If, for some strange reason, I were to leave Texas I would not have any reason to go to those states that don't honor my Texas license.

I think I've been to every state except Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Rhode Island.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

LimaCharlie3

Post by LimaCharlie3 »

I got an Arizona mainly because it was cheap and they accepted my Texas training. Washington I got because they don't recognize Texas, I have friends to visit there, and it was $45, took 15 minutes at a sheriff's office and arrived 60 days later. Texas gained more states recently so I may let the Arizona go.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

OneGun wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:59 am I have a non-resident permit for Illannoy because I have family in the Chicago area that I visit each year. I am one of 57 people with a non-resident Illannoy permit.
OMG! She's gonna miss you! :biggrinjester:
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

OneGun wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:56 pm
OMG! She's gonna miss you! :biggrinjester:
Actually, I'm in NJ now. See my post about going to the range yesterday.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

txglock21 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:22 pm
oljames3 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am
Lynyrd wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am How many of us have obtained a nonresident out of state license? If you do, please comment on why you felt the need and which state(s) you decided to get. Maybe it was because you travel on the job, or maybe because of personal travel. I have family in New England and am considering some nonresident options. But in that part of the country the options are very limited.
No need. My Texas LTC is good everywhere I want to go.
:iagree: THIS.
My understanding of the federal gun free law is its unlawful to carry near a school without a license from the state the school is in. I spend a few months a year in PA and everywhere I stay is within 500 yards of a school, so I got a PA non resident license upon presentation of my TX CHL. Wanted to avoid any issues.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”