Saw another carrying, and felt very uncomfortable...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 7

Saw another carrying, and felt very uncomfortable...

Post by Scott in Houston »

This was a first.

I've spotted many others (maybe like 20 people) carrying. I'm always looking and trying to find others who are exercising their 2A, or worse, carrying with malcontent.

Well, today, I was at a business where I spotted someone. It wasn't hard. He was wearing 511 gear, wearing a fanny pack, etc.
The gun, a Glock 19, was actually in his front pocket. I could see the butt fairly easily. So, was he carrying something else in the fanny pack? Probably...

Anyway, normally this makes me happy. I'm pretty sure he was legally carrying. Every other time I've spotted someone, I feel safer... Not this time.

The reasons I was uncomfortable were
1). He was wearing "anti Trump" shirt and hat. Hateful stuff with cuss words ... not just anti-Trump, but hateful. (Note: this isn't a political comment... I didn't even vote for Trump, but it doesn't fit the typical profile of a 511-gear wearing guy, so I felt something a bit off and anyone wearing clothes with cuss words, especially politically motivated, just strikes me as "angry" therefore potentially dangerous).

2). His hand was constantly on it. I was behind him in line, and he kept putting his hand in that pocket and actually grabbing the grip of the Glock. He would put his in, grab it, then bring his hand out to talk or whatever.

This was a new experience, and I haven't posted in a long time, so I thought I'd share.
Was I wrong? (somewhat rhetorically asked because I believe we should always trust our gut, but I feel kind of 'guilty' for judging someone who was likely another legal, law-abiding carrier like all of us).

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Saw another carrying, and felt very uncomfortable...

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If you could see the butt of the gun, and it wasn't being carried in a belt or shoulder holster, then he was not legally carrying.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 pm If you could see the butt of the gun, and it wasn't being carried in a belt or shoulder holster, then he was not legally carrying.
Well, it was not an open carry.
I am 99% sure it would have to be intentional for it to break the law.

This was more of an accidental exposure, which we all know is not illegal.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

You could have called the police and told them you were scared the guy was about to do something because of Maxine Waters hateful rhetoric encouraging anti-Trump activities.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Allons

Post by Allons »

bblhd672 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm You could have called the police and told them you were scared the guy was about to do something because of Maxine Waters hateful rhetoric encouraging anti-Trump activities.
"rlol"
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i woulda been uncomfortable too... the fact that he kept grabbing his gun is kinda of unsettling... and the fact that he had a fanny pack and wearing 5.11 gear it reminds me of one of those paranoid prepper/doomsdayers... granted i prep a bit like emergency food and water and a genny with gas, but im talking those hard core borderline cult members who think the world is out to get them...
NRA Member

loktite

Post by loktite »

Maybe someone extremely new to carrying who hasn't soaked in good advice yet. How old? mid 20's - early 30's?
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

Given his bizarre behavior...if you see something (wrong) say something.

This guy sounds like a ticking time bomb...

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Allons wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:51 pm
bblhd672 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:50 pm You could have called the police and told them you were scared the guy was about to do something because of Maxine Waters hateful rhetoric encouraging anti-Trump activities.
"rlol"
Yea :iagree: , but I bet he was looking for someone to challenge him so he could say he had to defend himself against one of us hateful racist Trumpsters. Mad Maxine has given some of them the courage to try and carry out her words.
The cuss words on his clothes would have gotten him a firm invitation to leave our store. If he refused then police would be called to enforce it and issue a no trespass order.
N5PNZ

Topic author
Scott in Houston

loktite wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 am Maybe someone extremely new to carrying who hasn't soaked in good advice yet. How old? mid 20's - early 30's?
No. 50's, but he also appeared to be foreign born... either Spain or South America, so maybe new to it here in Texas.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Abraham wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:05 am Given his bizarre behavior...if you see something (wrong) say something.

This guy sounds like a ticking time bomb...

Well, maybe, but his body language and demeanor was fine other than he kept putting his hand in his pocket on the butt. I attributed that to being a newbie at carrying. I remember touching my gun more than I should when I first started carrying. Almost like I was double checking to make sure it's there.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Scott in Houston wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:20 am
loktite wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 am Maybe someone extremely new to carrying who hasn't soaked in good advice yet. How old? mid 20's - early 30's?
No. 50's, but he also appeared to be foreign born... either Spain or South America, so maybe new to it here in Texas.
Somebody should tell him in Americs it's not polite to play with your Glock in public.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Scott in Houston wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:35 pm If you could see the butt of the gun, and it wasn't being carried in a belt or shoulder holster, then he was not legally carrying.

Got it. My confusion was when you said "I could see the butt fairly easily". If part of the gun can be seen "fairly easily" then I'm not sure it is a valid excuse to say that one really really meant to conceal the gun.

Topic author
Scott in Houston

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:58 pm
Scott in Houston wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 pm

Got it. My confusion was when you said "I could see the butt fairly easily". If part of the gun can be seen "fairly easily" then I'm not sure it is a valid excuse to say that one really really meant to conceal the gun.

Yeah... I guess that sounded confusing. It was fairly easy for me to spot, because I was scanning him up and down as I knew he was carrying.
I guarantee you nobody else would ever see it, and those who might, probably wouldn't know what they were looking at.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”