Selling to a non LTC holder

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am I just stated what the law in Texas requires.

We can require anything we want. If we want them to stand on their head then we can require it. Just don’t be surprised when no ones wants to stand on their head. :evil2:
:smilelol5:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

carlson1 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am I just stated what the law in Texas requires.

We can require anything we want. If we want them to stand on their head then we can require it. Just don’t be surprised when no ones wants to stand on their head. :evil2:
I'm too old for that... and too out of shape... I guess I'm stuck buying from Buds' :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

BBYC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BBYC »

You should make them eat bacon too. Can't be too safe.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I occasionally see guns for sale that look interesting. Then I will read the part where the seller requires the buyer to use an FFL, at the buyers expense, for a $200 gun. Or requires a FTF transaction when they live 200 miles from the nearest major city, and the seller refuses to meet in the middle, etc. I sometimes get curious about whether these guys actually manage to ever sell their guns.

But as you said, you can require anything you want, as either the seller or the buyer. If a business owner can require me to not be wearing underwear* in order to buy from them, they why would a private seller not be able to put any restrictions they want on a buyer?

* or shoes, or a gun, or a shirt, etc., etc.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

I bought a stripped lower and a .45 handgun for cash from a guy on this forum. We met in a Best Buy parking lot in Lewisville. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:07 pm

I occasionally see guns for sale that look interesting. Then I will read the part where the seller requires the buyer to use an FFL, at the buyers expense, for a $200 gun. Or requires a FTF transaction when they live 200 miles from the nearest major city, and the seller refuses to meet in the middle, etc. I sometimes get curious about whether these guys actually manage to ever sell their guns.

But as you said, you can require anything you want, as either the seller or the buyer. If a business owner can require me to not be wearing underwear* in order to buy from them, they why would a private seller not be able to put any restrictions they want on a buyer?

When I sell on gun broker or texas gun broker, if the buyer is a resident of Texas and wanting to skip the FFL in a FTF, I am good with it. Like I said earlier, I have an issue with putting restrictions on a gun purchase that are beyond what the law requires. I have never ask for a DL in a FTF. That is just against my grain.

One can get or give a bill of sale(receipt) with no driver license, LTC, background checks, family verification or thumb prints. ;-)

I am with Carlson, comply with the law and no more or less.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm You can sale to any person who is a Texas resident and as far as you know is not a felon. There is no law that puts you under any obligation to run a background or “check papers.”

If you want to go the second mile take them to a FFL and do a transfer. Short of that anything else is useless.
Agreed, i can understand the reluctance to sell or buy from a stranger but it’s so ironic that people who do not want 2A rights restricted by our government often restrict 2A rights beyond what the law requires when selling to individuals.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:50 pm
carlson1 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm You can sale to any person who is a Texas resident and as far as you know is not a felon. There is no law that puts you under any obligation to run a background or “check papers.”

If you want to go the second mile take them to a FFL and do a transfer. Short of that anything else is useless.
Agreed, i can understand the reluctance to sell or buy from a stranger but it’s so ironic that people who do not want 2A rights restricted by our government often restrict 2A rights beyond what the law requires when selling to individuals.
Very well said. :tiphat:

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

The NICS needs to post a public list of prohibited persons and keep it updated. That solves 99% of these issues if the seller is above board and not a straw purchaser.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

MaduroBU wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:32 pm The NICS needs to post a public list of prohibited persons and keep it updated. That solves 99% of these issues if the seller is above board and not a straw purchaser.
Presumably you will then require government issued ID to verify the name against NICS. Then you will not want to sell to any Smiths or Joneses....lots of prohibited persons with those last names. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

mrvmax wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Then again when selling or buying any personal items, Its good to know th person your selling too is a good person.\, whether its a car, a book or a gun. Thats one reason I would prefer to sell items to people I know personally, Its also the reason I don't sell much of my stuff, my potential selling list is pretty small.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm

When I sell on gun broker or texas gun broker, if the buyer is a resident of Texas and wanting to skip the FFL in a FTF, I am good with it. Like I said earlier, I have an issue with putting restrictions on a gun purchase that are beyond what the law requires. I have never ask for a DL in a FTF. That is just against my grain.

One can get or give a bill of sale(receipt) with no driver license, LTC, background checks, family verification or thumb prints. ;-)

How do you comply with the law? How can you prove if it ever needs to be proven that a person you sell a gun to is a Texas resident or old enough to buy the gun? To me that is the reason to use a BOS. Texas doesn't require a lot but if your gun is subsequently used in a crime how can you prove that you didn't sell it to someone that didn't meet Texas minimal requirements? If you had a potential buyer that refused to do a BOS would you feel comfortable selling to him? I realize this has been debated multiple times but I only buy or sell with a valid BOS and I want the drivers license or LTC. My choice and no driving to meet half way without first agreeing on the basics. I don't care how others do it. I have never actually had a seller that wouldn't do a BOS so I really don't know if they are even out there. And I have done more than my fair share of gun buying. Much more.
My bank won't even cash my checks without my photo ID. I can't vote without my photo ID.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Carl, I would not even ask you to stand on your head if your wanted to buy a gun from me.

:biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

rotor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 pm

How do you comply with the law? How can you prove if it ever needs to be proven that a person you sell a gun to is a Texas resident or old enough to buy the gun? To me that is the reason to use a BOS. Texas doesn't require a lot but if your gun is subsequently used in a crime how can you prove that you didn't sell it to someone that didn't meet Texas minimal requirements? If you had a potential buyer that refused to do a BOS would you feel comfortable selling to him? I realize this has been debated multiple times but I only buy or sell with a valid BOS and I want the drivers license or LTC. My choice and no driving to meet half way without first agreeing on the basics. I don't care how others do it. I have never actually had a seller that wouldn't do a BOS so I really don't know if they are even out there. And I have done more than my fair share of gun buying. Much more.
My bank won't even cash my checks without my photo ID. I can't vote without my photo ID.
How does a BOS prove the buyer is not prohibited from owning a firearm? A DL can tell you their state of residency and age, but that’s it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by rotor »

C-dub wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:09 pm
How does a BOS prove the buyer is not prohibited from owning a firearm? A DL can tell you their state of residency and age, but that’s it.
Exactly correct and what are the requirements that you ask of a buyer? Age and state of residence.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”