Selling to a non LTC holder

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

carlson1
Moderator
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 9577
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:11 am

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#31

Post by carlson1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:35 pm

C-dub wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm
carlson1 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am
I just stated what the law in Texas requires.

We can require anything we want. If we want them to stand on their head then we can require it. Just don’t be surprised when no ones wants to stand on their head. :evil2:
Carl, I would not even ask you to stand on your head if your wanted to buy a gun from me.

:biggrinjester:
Yea you know my head isn’t that flat. :smilelol5:
Image


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 6
Posts: 2958
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#32

Post by rotor » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm

In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...
Attachments
billofsale.pdf
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 7015
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#33

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 pm

rotor wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm
In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...
The law does not require I get a copy of a DL on a private sale. So I don't. In addition, I don't have to prove my innocence. The law is required to prove my guilt. Like I have said a couple times. I believe in constitutional RKBA. I won't add additional restrictions to that right beyond what is law. I don't believe it is a privilege to own a firearm so I refuse to act like one must be in some special category that I dream up.

I obey the law and use good judgement.
In my home, one is allowed to spit on the floor in any situation where they are forced to say the word, Obama.
NRA-Endowment Member
http://www.planoair.com
http://www.planoairconditioningandheating.com


Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1084
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#34

Post by Richbirdhunter » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm

carlson1 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm
You can sale to any person who is a Texas resident and as far as you know is not a felon. There is no law that puts you under any obligation to run a background or “check papers.”

If you want to go the second mile take them to a FFL and do a transfer. Short of that anything else is useless.

Thank you!!
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 7015
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#35

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Richbirdhunter wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm
carlson1 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm
You can sale to any person who is a Texas resident and as far as you know is not a felon. There is no law that puts you under any obligation to run a background or “check papers.”

If you want to go the second mile take them to a FFL and do a transfer. Short of that anything else is useless.

Thank you!!
I bet you didn't know what you were getting started here. :biggrinjester: I have been through about a dozen of this thread since joining this forum and I think I have most of the replies memorized. As usual, carlson gives the correct answer once again. :fire
In my home, one is allowed to spit on the floor in any situation where they are forced to say the word, Obama.
NRA-Endowment Member
http://www.planoair.com
http://www.planoairconditioningandheating.com

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#36

Post by ScottDLS » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm

I’m tired of this thread, so it should be immediately locked. :smilelol5:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#37

Post by oljames3 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:35 pm

ScottDLS wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm
I’m tired of this thread, so it should be immediately locked. :smilelol5:
IBTL!
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

03Lightningrocks
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 7015
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: DFW area

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#38

Post by 03Lightningrocks » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:41 pm

oljames3 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:35 pm
ScottDLS wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm
I’m tired of this thread, so it should be immediately locked. :smilelol5:
IBTL!
Yeah, me too. :biggrinjester:
In my home, one is allowed to spit on the floor in any situation where they are forced to say the word, Obama.
NRA-Endowment Member
http://www.planoair.com
http://www.planoairconditioningandheating.com


NNT
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#39

Post by NNT » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:10 am

I'm not giving my personal info to a stranger. The reason I buy private is no paper trail. If they want LTC I'll show my pic and exp date, but block address, number, etc.
Just like ccw insurance ( may as well add gas to a hot topic), are there documented cases someone bought a stolen gun innocently and got busted, or someone sold a gun with no BOS that was later used in a crime and was unable to walk a jury back?

User avatar

SIGFan43
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 am

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#40

Post by SIGFan43 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am

Something to think about: A friend of mine in Arkansas sold or traded a handgun to a dealer at a gun show. A few years later, the BATF rang his doorbell and asked him if he ever owned that handgun. He told them he got a receipt when he sold it. After showing them the receipt, he asked, "is there a problem?" They told him the handgun was used in a murder in a northern state. They thanked him, and went on their way. I always get a bill of sale/receipt and ask for I.D. whenever I buy/sell a gun of any kind, because it might save my bacon someday.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?


mrvmax
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1635
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm
Location: Friendswood
Contact:

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#41

Post by mrvmax » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:47 pm

SIGFan43 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am
Something to think about: A friend of mine in Arkansas sold or traded a handgun to a dealer at a gun show. A few years later, the BATF rang his doorbell and asked him if he ever owned that handgun. He told them he got a receipt when he sold it. After showing them the receipt, he asked, "is there a problem?" They told him the handgun was used in a murder in a northern state. They thanked him, and went on their way. I always get a bill of sale/receipt and ask for I.D. whenever I buy/sell a gun of any kind, because it might save my bacon someday.
Let’s suppose he had no receipt, what would have happened? Would they arrest him on the spot for that crime in the northern state? No, they would need something linking him to that crime and simply being a previous owner of the firearm would not necessarily link him to it. As an FFL I get those trace requests and I know people who had no proof of who they sold to. Guess what? Not one of the people from the four traces I think of off the top of my head have gotten into any trouble over it. Yes, I’m sure there are a very small percentage of times where it could help but I think that would be rare.

User avatar

bigtek
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 am

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#42

Post by bigtek » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Because it's impossible to make a fake bill of sale if you use one of your guns to commit murder in another state.
Image

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#43

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 pm

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 pm
rotor wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm
In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...
The law does not require I get a copy of a DL on a private sale. So I don't. In addition, I don't have to prove my innocence. The law is required to prove my guilt. Like I have said a couple times. I believe in constitutional RKBA. I won't add additional restrictions to that right beyond what is law. I don't believe it is a privilege to own a firearm so I refuse to act like one must be in some special category that I dream up.

I obey the law and use good judgement.
:iagree: That sounds like a plan to me.


Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1084
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#44

Post by Richbirdhunter » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 pm

rotor wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm
In case you haven't seen one here is a good one...

Thank you
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

Grundy1133
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:18 pm
Location: Gainesville

Re: Selling to a non LTC holder

#45

Post by Grundy1133 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:26 pm

carlson1 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am
I just stated what the law in Texas requires.

We can require anything we want. If we want them to stand on their head then we can require it. Just don’t be surprised when no ones wants to stand on their head. :evil2:
depends on what gun theyre selling and for how much! :mrgreen:
Image
NRA Member

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”