4 Years of responsible CC, now time to renew. Need some help pls.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
buddyhotrod
Posts in topic: 3

4 Years of responsible CC, now time to renew. Need some help pls.

Post by buddyhotrod »

I really appreciate having the freedom to be able to conceal carry here in the great state of Texas. The other day my renewal letter came in the mail letting me know that I needed to renew my license.
Even though my license does not expire until Dec 2018,almost 5 months from now. I went ahead and completed the renewal online.
During my online renewal I was asked if I was a veteran and I checked yes.
After I finished and hit the submit button I got a confirmation email with a checklist.

"""This email confirms you have submitted an online application. See below for the checklist of items required to complete your application. If you have already submitted the required items, please do not send additional copies.

Once all required items are received by RSD, please allow sufficient time for processing. If additional items are required, you will be notified by mail to your address of record.

CHECKLIST:
TxDPS will attempt to use the Texas DL/ID photo and resubmit the fingerprints on file for your renewal application. If either of these items does not meet current quality standards, TxDPS will notify the applicant and a new submission will be required.
Copy of DD-214 (Member-4), OR Any other official documentation showing the applicant is honorably retired military (if not on file).
Please upload all items from the checklist, if applicable, through the RSD secured website.""""

The checklist says to send in my DD214 showing that I am honorably retired military.

I am not retired military and I am wondering why the renewal asked only if I was a veteran then is now asking me to send in proof of retirement. LOL
I never made the claim of being a retired military person.

I am a Honorably discharged veteran, I finished my military term I did not retire with the military. Those are two completely different things.

Not sure what I should or need to do at this point.

Do I need to resend all of my information back to Austin or will they let me know if they need more information.
Is there a time frame for which I should hear back from Austin in regard to my renewal?
I completed my online renewal on June 29th 2018.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
Buddy in Plano,Texas.
Be kind and rewind.

txpilot
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 4 Years of responsible CC, now time to renew. Need some help pls.

Post by txpilot »

The DD214 is not just for retired military - you also have one when you left the service without retiring. In order to get the discounted ($25) price, you have to show proof that you were honorably discharged.

If you already submitted it (when you got your first license), you should not have to submit it again - they already have it on file. I have the same situation, and the checklist looks the same as yours, and the checkbox by the items were unchecked.

Hope that helps.

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by skeathley »

They are not asking if you are retired military. The DD-214 is your proof of discharge, showing you as a veteran. If you got the license originally as a veteran, for the discount, you have already submitted that. If you did not, and now you tell them you are a veteran, you will need to send it now, or get hung up on paperwork.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
buddyhotrod

Post by buddyhotrod »

Cool
My original CHL shows veteran on the card, they should still have my DD214 on file from the original CHL I had submitted to them almost 4 years ago.

I just got confused when I saw they were asking for proof of retirement from military.

Guess I will just wait for the next 5 months to see what they send me or do not send me.
Be kind and rewind.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I would resubmit the DD214 via the online portal. If they're asking for it, they may have lost the record or who knows.. Easy enough to upload a copy to them and avoid any delays.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
buddyhotrod

Post by buddyhotrod »

I would totally resend the DD214 and yes that is surely easy enough to do except for the other confusing part where the State specifically says "If you have already submitted the required items, please do not send additional copies.".
Be kind and rewind.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Here's an idea. You said your current license doesn't expire until December. So do nothing now. If you get your renewal in the mail this month, you didn't need to send them anything else. If you don't get your renewal by the end of July, or DPS directly asks for it, upload the DD214 at that time. Meanwhile enjoy the summertime.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 pm I would resubmit the DD214 via the online portal. If they're asking for it, they may have lost the record or who knows.. Easy enough to upload a copy to them and avoid any delays.
Copy of DD-214 (Member-4), OR Any other official documentation showing the applicant is honorably retired military (if not on file).
Please upload all items from the checklist, if applicable, through the RSD secured website.""""
"if not on file" being the key words here. since he's been recognized as a veteran on his original CHL/LTC i'd assume they have it on file. I would make sure i have it on hand tho just in case something has happened in the past 4 years.
NRA Member

txpilot
Posts in topic: 2

Post by txpilot »

I might be mistaken, but if you look at the online status, if the "Fee Received" is green, and you only paid the $25.00, I would think that shows that they have the proof that you paid the correct fee - i.e. DD-214.

Lena

Post by Lena »

I just got mine back in 6 working days also they had dd214 and LE info, fastest ever turn around
Stay Safe

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”