Allen Event Center posted 06 & 07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 1

Allen Event Center posted 06 & 07

Post by Dreamer42 »

Sorry this is a few days late and couple dollars short, but a friend and I went to the gun show at the Allen Event Center two weekends ago and upon entering saw two 06 & 07 signs as we paid. The Texas3006.com web site also says the signs are invalid. Who do we need to contact to get them to obey the law? It burns me up. If a place is legally posted, okay. That's the law. But it irritates me to no end when municipalities blatantly disregard the law.

warnmar10

Re: Allen Event Center posted 06 & 07

Post by warnmar10 »

I'm sure Allen leased the facility to the gun show operator and that private entity is free to make his own rules...

gtolbert09

Post by gtolbert09 »

If it was a Premier Gun show, they're all posted. They also usually post a sign that says something like "buying a ticket, you agree to the conditions of the gun show", which includes being disarmed.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

chamberc
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chamberc »

Dreamer42 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:52 pm Sorry this is a few days late and couple dollars short, but a friend and I went to the gun show at the Allen Event Center two weekends ago and upon entering saw two 06 & 07 signs as we paid. The Texas3006.com web site also says the signs are invalid. Who do we need to contact to get them to obey the law? It burns me up. If a place is legally posted, okay. That's the law. But it irritates me to no end when municipalities blatantly disregard the law.
The Texas AG has said, that when a public building is leased to a private firm, the firm can legally post. It hasn't been tried in court (good luck on becoming the first case), but that's the AG's written opinion.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000
http://www.texas3006.com

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Easy fix...don't attend.

mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mloamiller »

chamberc wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am
Dreamer42 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:52 pm Sorry this is a few days late and couple dollars short, but a friend and I went to the gun show at the Allen Event Center two weekends ago and upon entering saw two 06 & 07 signs as we paid. The Texas3006.com web site also says the signs are invalid. Who do we need to contact to get them to obey the law? It burns me up. If a place is legally posted, okay. That's the law. But it irritates me to no end when municipalities blatantly disregard the law.
The Texas AG has said, that when a public building is leased to a private firm, the firm can legally post. It hasn't been tried in court (good luck on becoming the first case), but that's the AG's written opinion.
I think the same AG opinion also states that while the private firm can post the signs (or at least they can't be penalized if they do), the signs are not enforceable since it's city-owned property.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mloamiller wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:54 am
I think the same AG opinion also states that while the private firm can post the signs (or at least they can't be penalized if they do), the signs are not enforceable since it's city-owned property.
Yes. Unless they are using metal detectors and frisking I just conceal and carry. I'm still waiting to be the test case. :lol:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

Maybe not criminally enforceable, but it will be hard to get past a metal detector...
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000

roadkill

Post by roadkill »

chamberc wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am
Maybe not criminally enforceable, but it will be hard to get past a metal detector...
Maybe but what grounds could they use to exclude you?

chamberc

Post by chamberc »

roadkill wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 pm
Discovery of a firearm. Once they find it, they can deny you entry.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
LTC since 2000

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Abraham wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 am Easy fix...don't attend.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: 100%
NRA Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

And how many gun shows have we all been to that have metal detectors...? 0 for me. :tiphat: :
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:22 pm

And how many gun shows have we all been to that have metal detectors...? 0 for me. :tiphat: :
And if they do have metal detectors, then carry in a gun for sale along with some metal magazines, and ammo, in addition to your CCW. Or let them clear and zip-tie your CCW, then go into the bathroom, cut the tie, reload and reholster your CCW. Simple.

Or just don't go. You can probably get better prices and a better selection online anyway. After all, we are talking about people who are not only against your civil rights, but who are also lying to you by posting a sign with what they know to be incorrect info about the law (since contrary to what their sign says, section 30.06 / 30.07 does NOT prohibit you from legally carrying there). What else are they lying to you about?

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

chamberc wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:29 pm
roadkill wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 pm
Discovery of a firearm. Once they find it, they can deny you entry.
If the venue is owned by the city, I don't believe they can legally deny you entry simply because you are carrying; that's how I interpret the AG's ruling that the signs are not enforceable. That doesn't mean they won't try to, of course, at which point you would have a decision to make about how to respond.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

If the venue is owned by the city, I don't believe they can legally deny you entry simply because you are carrying; that's how I interpret the AG's ruling that the signs are not enforceable. That doesn't mean they won't try to, of course, at which point you would have a decision to make about how to respond.
My reading of the AG opinion is that while you could not be criminally prosecuted for trespass, you could be civilly excluded from entering, which when you get right down to it means that they can physically bar your entry, and there’s nothing you can do about it. Perhaps you could bring a civil action against the lessee or governmental entity for excluding you. You could ask a court for a writ enjoining them from blocking your entry of perhaps for damages. Set up a gofundme and I’ll kick in. If you win before the the Lord takes me I’ll congratulate you heartily. :mrgreen:

The fines for signs law was a nice idea, but 3 years on it is completely useless. No entity has been fined. No entity that didn’t wish to has changed their policy and the AG has provided numerous loopholes for government entities to do whatever they wish. All we’ve ended up with is zoo being schools, 51% TABC licensed child care facilities, and teen courts taking up a city block. :smilelol5:

The one area where the AG seems to be engaged is the area where he probably has the weakest legal case. He takes on cities over the meaning of “offices utilized by the court”, but let’s municipalities rope off entire downtowns with 30.0x signs. Completely publicly owned stadiums are permanently posted and controlled by private security with metal detectors with Cub Scout soapbox derby declared a professional sporting event.

My new attitude is to completely ignore signs that I believe are invalid, whenever I can get away with it. The Ft Worth zoo is not a school. Dallas Love Field nonsecure area is not off limits. I carry into Cowboys Stadium any time they are not wanding. I carry in Denton County buildings that are posted in all the areas where there is not a Court. I carry in private establishments that don’t get every jot and tittle of the 30.06 sign right, or if I didn’t see it, and especially since a I am a volunteer emergency services person. I’m even going to carry in Church now that they took down the 30.0x notices even though I know the Ft. Worth Diocese doesn’t want me to. Maybe it’s not a sin since I’m Protestant. Just don’t tell my wife or the Monsignor... :evil2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”