What qualifies as a valid home address?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SIGFan43
Posts in topic: 4

What qualifies as a valid home address?

Post by SIGFan43 »

I just signed a new 12-month lease at my apartment complex against my wishes. Massive rent increase, plus several new fees, but no vacancies at apartment complex I would move to if I could. In 12 months, I am planning on living out of my Subaru Outback until a vacant apartment is available, which would probably be less than six months time, and will sign up for a PMB (Private Mail Box) at a UPS store so I could receive all mail and packages there. I doubt seriously if that qualifies as a home address for purposes of Texas driver license and LTC. Here's my question: my best lady friend says I could use her house address if necessary, but I can't live with her because of her religious faith. If I use her address, would I need to format my address using my name at her home address, or could I put [My Name] c/o [Her Name]? During the interim after my current apartment lease expires next July 2019, I will be parking at various places overnight, such as Walmart (permission has been granted already), or state park, or hospital parking lots. Has anyone ever had to deal with a similar issue? I'm assuming there is a time period in which driver license address must be changed, etc.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What qualifies as a valid home address?

Post by flechero »

With a year to plan, why wouldn't you be able to find a new place to live? Seems like you could have already been on the wait list for the other place... and maybe moved mid year. For that matter, there may be other options nearby that fit your budget. I haven't seen a Subaru yet that had a shower or toilet.

Good luck!

BTW, I applaud your lady friend for following her faith.

DocV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DocV »

See page 2 of https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-5.pdf

I believe item number 4 would apply in the case of your friend. My somewhat faulty memory seems to recall out local GW office assisting people to obtain their driver's license and receiving mail in their behalf. Perhaps some local non-profit can advise you on the availability of such a service near you.

Topic author
SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

flechero wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:45 am With a year to plan, why wouldn't you be able to find a new place to live? Seems like you could have already been on the wait list for the other place... and maybe moved mid year. For that matter, there may be other options nearby that fit your budget. I haven't seen a Subaru yet that had a shower or toilet.

Good luck!

BTW, I applaud your lady friend for following her faith.
My new landlord is an Illinois corporation who write the leases in a manner to where if you break the lease, you pay 85% of your rent for the privilege, but there's a catch: If they can't find a tenant 30 days, I would be bound by my original lease and have to continue monthly rent until they find a qualified tenant. The shower and toilets are not a problem. Truck stops have showers for $6.00-$7.00 and furnish a wash cloth, towel, and a bar of soap. Toilets are at Walmart, where I can park at night with no problem, or fairly close to hospital parking lots. By the way, I have been on a waiting list at another apartment for 2 years, but when they call, I'm still in the middle of my current lease. If I live in my car for 3-4 months, I can probably move at first opportunity. The good news is that I can save $1200 a month living in my car for 3-4 months or longer if necessary.
SIGFan43

Topic author
SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

For purpose of clarity, I have lived in Texas for 12 years, and obtained my Texas license and LTC within months of moving here from Arkansas. I may also let my lady friend accept all my mail, which is very little, and stay parked in her garage about once a week. I think that would qualify me as a resident at that address.
SIGFan43

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I hate it for you but sounds like it's too late now, but I would have made a move before being forced into another lease... at minimum you would have had another 30 days to vacate once you declined to sign the new one. For 1200/mo you would probably have had better options than a yr. lock into a bad lease. (or even paid a little more and had some flexibility)

:tiphat:

infoman

Post by infoman »

The address on your LTC needs to be same as address on your DL- these should always be identical twins. & you cannot have a P.O. Box address on them- you must use a physical address. in your case, I’d prob use your fiend’s address during the time you might be living out of your car.

Topic author
SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

Problem solved! My friend says I can sleep in her garage in my car once every few days, use her spare bathroom and take a shower there, and also have any mail delivered right there at her house. I could call that my home address until I get that apartment I'm waiting for. I am also pre-qualified for a new Coleman 28-foot travel trailer, which I would park permanently at a swanky RV park, where I could also get mail. For that option, I would need 3-4 months to save the down payment. But for 2019, my goal is to live in a nice apartment I can afford.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and ideas! :clapping:
SIGFan43

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

This brings up an interesting scenario... One I have found myself in a LOT lately... I have a permanent address where I receive my mail (It's actually my mother's address. she lives out in the country and I don't trust city folk to not steal any packages I may have delivered to my front door.) Anyway, where I live a lot of leases for rent houses are on a monthly basis. lets say I move around a lot. every month or every couple of months... Would I have to keep sending a change of address request to the DPS every time a move or could I just use my Mother's address since I receive mail there? And TBH I have never changed my drivers license address before it's always been my mom's address.
NRA Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”