CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
pincushion1979
Posts in topic: 4

Still Eligible???

Post by pincushion1979 »

Good morning all...

Question for anyone with an answer... I have 2 DWIs from back in 2001 and 2003. The second was tried as a first offense. I finished probation and paid all fines, etc. Would I still be eligible for LTC?

411.172(c) states:
(c) An individual who has been convicted two times within the 10-year period preceding the date on which the person applies for a license of an offense of the grade of Class B misdemeanor or greater that involves the use of alcohol or a controlled substance as a statutory element of the offense is a chemically dependent person for purposes of this section and is not qualified to receive a license under this subchapter.  This subsection does not preclude the disqualification of an individual for being a chemically dependent person if other evidence exists to show that the person is a chemically dependent person.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Still Eligible???

Post by flechero »

I'll start with I don't actually know... but the bold part may be key.
...has been convicted two times within the 10-year period preceding the date on which the person applies for a license...
Perhaps one of the attorneys will chime in soon.

Good luck!

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

pincushion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 am Good morning all...

Question for anyone with an answer... I have 2 DWIs from back in 2001 and 2003. The second was tried as a first offense. I finished probation and paid all fines, etc. Would I still be eligible for LTC?

411.172(c) states:
(c) An individual who has been convicted two times within the 10-year period preceding the date on which the person applies for a license of an offense of the grade of Class B misdemeanor or greater that involves the use of alcohol or a controlled substance as a statutory element of the offense is a chemically dependent person for purposes of this section and is not qualified to receive a license under this subchapter.  This subsection does not preclude the disqualification of an individual for being a chemically dependent person if other evidence exists to show that the person is a chemically dependent person.
I would say you are eligible.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

infoman

Post by infoman »

Yes. (assuming neither was felony level)

Topic author
pincushion1979

Post by pincushion1979 »

Thanks all. My fingerprints and background check have been ongoing for over a month now, was just wondering if that may be why. Others that went to the class with me already have license in hand.

Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

pincushion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 am Thanks all. My fingerprints and background check have been ongoing for over a month now, was just wondering if that may be why. Others that went to the class with me already have license in hand.
Timeline is different for everyone. I thought for sure mine would take the full amount, but I had my license in hand about 11 business days after submitting everything. Usually I believe if they want more info on criminal stuff they will mail you something saying so, which unfortunately in turn adds an extra 180 days that they can take to review and work on your application.

Topic author
pincushion1979

Post by pincushion1979 »

I just found all my court paperwork doing an online search. So I saved it and submitted to the LTC application page. Hopefully that will help them out and speed things up.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

pincushion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:25 pm I just found all my court paperwork doing an online search. So I saved it and submitted to the LTC application page. Hopefully that will help them out and speed things up.
You will likely need to provide official copies of the disposition from the jurisdiction(s) where these took place.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
pincushion1979

Post by pincushion1979 »

All green, except for print pending now. Been waiting on everything to go green since May. :anamatedbanana

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”