Carry rules for non CHL citizens

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#16

Post by Winston » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Yes I'm aware of the downfalls of Mexican carry. I literally never Mexican carry any of guns (especially my Glock) but that day I had my 1911 and had the safety on. And apparently I won't be carrying any weapon on my person in the future until I get my license. I'm glad that I posted about this because I was truly unaware that doing what I did was in violation of the law. I figured that since I was at my vehicle at the time and having my weapon on my person then I was 100% legal as long as I didn't go into the gas station with it. My assumptions could have costed me so hopefully this post will help others too that didn't know.
Last edited by Winston on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#17

Post by Winston » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 pm

The castle law is what confused me about carrying to and from my home, vehicle, or place of business. I didn't realize that I needed to own the gas station in order to carry at my vehicle while at the gas station. I definitely feel dumb for making this assumption. I guess I've been very lucky in the past! This definitely won't happen again in the future!!! Time to start working on getting a CHL and learning more about these firearm laws! I thought I knew better but apparently I didn't!
Last edited by Winston on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#18

Post by Flightmare » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:00 am

Winston wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:42 pm
Yes I'm aware of the downfalls of Mexican carry. I literally never Mexican carry any of guns (especially my Glock) but that day I had my 1911 and had the safety on. And apparently I won't be carrying any weapon on my person in the future until I get my license. I'm glad that I posted about this because I was truly unaware that doing what I did was in violation of the law. I figured that since I was at my vehicle at the time and having my weapon on my person was 100% legal as long as I didn't go into the gas station with it. My assumptions could have costed me so hopefully this post will help others too that didn't know.
Carry inside your vehicle is covered under the Motorist Protection Act. Charles Cotton did some good podcasts on the history of LTC/CHL as well as additional important laws in Texas under the "Texas FIrearms Coalition"
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... p/podcasts
I highly recommend them.


The LTC class covers most of the laws regarding carry in the state. Very useful to get you a foundation of where/when you can and cannot carry. This forum here has been my single greatest resource since my class back in 2016 as to what the laws are. I don't recall if you mentioned what part of the state you're in, but there are groups in DFW and Houston that have breakfasts on certain days. If you're close to one of those, you might look into meeting up with some fellow forum members. I have yet to meet an unfriendly face from the forum. Actually, have yet to personally meet an unfriendly face with a LTC. Looking forward to adding another person to our numbers. :tiphat:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#19

Post by Winston » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:05 am

Thanks for the link Flightmare. I'll definitely check it out since I like listening to podcasts while working. I live in Katy, Texas which is just West of Houston in Harris County.

Does anyone know a lawyer or anyone that specializes in CHL's in my area? I may need some help applying for my CHL. Not sure what I need exactly but a lot of this stuff is a bit confusing and I don't want to fill out the paperwork incorrectly. Mainly I need help accessing my juvenile records because I was arrested a few times before I turned 18 but don't remember the exact caliber of those charges and when exactly those charges happened since it was a long time ago. I'm 37 years old now. Some of those mistakes might not even be on my record but I don't remember. This is also another reason why I never bothered trying to get a CHL because it seems like a lot of paperwork and some of the information needed has been forgotten.

I went through the list to see if I'm eligible to get my license and it looks like I will qualify but also read that I need to include all information accurately or be denied! That's going to be a problem because I really don't remember a lot of those details and neither does anyone in my family. I don't even know where to start to access that information.
Last edited by Winston on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”


jar
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#20

Post by jar » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 am

Winston wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:00 pm
Thanks for the quick response Jusme. I rarely ever have to do this but last week there were some obvious gang members at the gas station (I recognized the tattoos) that were seriously giving me the creeps and I was pretty much scared for my life. I also had my daughter with me so I felt like I didn't have a choice and needed to keep my weapon close just in case something happened. I basically got gas and got out of there as fast as I could but these questions were bothering me. What if I did have to use my weapon? Would I be in violation of the law? Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I could have gotten in trouble if I needed to defend my life. What if I left it in my glovebox or bag like usual and was able to grab and use it if needed? Would I still be in violation since I wasn't carrying it on my person?
Get your LTC. It's a really easy process in Texas and relatively fast as well. Invest a week or two in making sure that when you feel threatened and a need to carry you are at least legal. Your daughter deserves that investment.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 4353
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#21

Post by Jusme » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:38 am

I agree with the other posters, get you LTC, even if you don't carry all day, everyday. You can find discounted classes, some gun stores offer free classes with a gun purchase, and the fee to the State is only $40.00 (down from $140.00) Look around at training classes, there are several available. There are several members, here who are instructors. While the motorist protection act, and the castle doctrine, have freed up, a lot of places you can legally carry, the peace of mind with having an LTC, is well worth the effort and expense, and will keep you from possibly facing charges, in the event, that you do have to use your handgun for self defense. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

GeekwithaGun
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am
Location: Hickory Creek

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#22

Post by GeekwithaGun » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:04 am

Winston wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:05 am
Thanks for the link Flightmare. I'll definitely check it out since I like listening to podcasts while working. I live in Katy, Texas which is just West of Houston in Harris County.

Does anyone know a lawyer or anyone that specializes in CHL's in my area? I may need some help applying for my CHL. Not sure what I need exactly but a lot of this stuff is a bit confusing and I don't want to fill out the paperwork incorrectly. Mainly I need help accessing my juvenile records because I was arrested a few times before I turned 18 but don't remember the caliber of those charges and when exactly those charges happened since it was a long time ago. I'm 37 years old now. Some of those mistakes might not even be on my record but I don't remember. This is also another reason why I never bothered trying to get a CHL because it seems like a lot of paperwork and some of the information needed has been forgotten.

I went through the list to see if I'm eligible to get my license and it looks like I will qualify but also read that I need to include all information accurately or be denied! That's going to be a problem because I really don't remember a lot of those details and neither does anyone in my family. I don't even know where to start to access that information.
Start at the county clerk where you lived or were charged/adjudicated. They should have the records and if not, a letter from them stating no records found can be added to your application.
NRA Life Member


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#23

Post by Winston » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 am

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to try and put some time aside to get all of the information I'll need to fill out the paperwork. I'll try to do it soon but may have to wait until this coming holiday season to get that time. I'm pretty busy working during the day and usually always have a lot on my plate. Driving downtown and waiting in line to ask for my juvenile records already feels like a major hassle but it will be worth the time if I can start carrying legally on my person in the future. Plus that time will be better spent waiting than time behind bars for violating the law! Until then I'll just keep my handgun in my Maxpedition bag. Or maybe even start open carrying my rifle. I have yet to experience all the weird looks I'll probably get in my town. I've literally never seen anyone open carry a rifle around here. Maybe I should be the first! Can't we just get Constitutional Carry already!!! Sheeesh!!! :patriot: :txflag: :thewave
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”


BBYC
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#24

Post by BBYC » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:13 pm

My suggestion to people who don't want to get a license is to carry a rifle if they feel the need to be armed outside of their home or motor vehicle.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#25

Post by Winston » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I would love to carry one of my rifles everywhere I go! It definitely makes me feel safer than just having a pistol. I prefer it over anything else for defense of my home or place of business. With that said I don't think it's a good idea where I live or anywhere else in the Houston area. I've lived here for a long time and have literally never seen anyone open carry a rifle that wasn't law enforcement. There's too many anti-gun and anti-American leftists around here that would for sure report me to the police for open carrying. I know it's legal but I also know for a fact I'd get reported if I open carried my rifle. What scares me the most is what these anti-gun leftists would say to the police when reporting me. They would probably make something up just to try and get me in trouble. The last thing I'd want is to have several officers surround me and draw their weapons on me because some Leftist reports a false threat to the police for me carrying. Just saying it would probably happen. I'd even bet $ on it. So watch out Texas! The fake liberals are coming!!!
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”


apostate
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2249
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Houston Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#26

Post by apostate » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 pm

If you're worried about getting into trouble obeying the law, imagine the trouble you could get into breaking it.

Remember that UCW upgrades to a felony on TABC licensed premises like a convenience store that sells beer.
I'm too old for this...


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#27

Post by Winston » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 pm

apostate wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 pm
If you're worried about getting into trouble obeying the law, imagine the trouble you could get into breaking it.

Remember that UCW upgrades to a felony on TABC licensed premises like a convenience store that sells beer.
Yep! I've never brought my gun inside of any store whether it was legal or not. Especially a gas station or a place that sells alcohol because I know that's illegal with the 30.06 and 30.07 signs. But I did make this post because going to gas stations seems to be one of the worst places you can be sometimes. A lot worse than just grocery shopping. I literally never feel the need to be armed while grocery shopping or going to most other stores. Gas stations are different for some reason. I'm sure a lot of people feel they need to be armed while pumping gas. Do most of you CHL holders just use a debit or credit card to fill up gas since you can't go into the gas station armed either? That would literally have to be a pain in the butt to remove your gun from it's holster every time you needed to go inside of a gas station. Then put it back in while filling up. I'm probably just going to use my card to fill up gas from now on and avoid going inside altogether. And since my gun will be left inside of my vehicle I'll at least be able to get to it if needed. That will be harder if I'm inside the store and something happens. I'll just get my drinks and snacks at a local grocery store from now on since it's a lot safer.
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”


Topic author
Winston
Member
Posts in topic: 17
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 am
Location: Katy, Texas

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#28

Post by Winston » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 pm

On another note I'm actually looking into buying a new vehicle that has better security features. I hate leaving my weapons inside of my vehicle when I can't legally carry them. Especially my rifles since they cost a lot of $$$. I need to get a vehicle with an alarm system and compartments that can be locked up. Maybe I'll look into installing a vehicle safe or buying one of those anti-theft Pac Safe locks to secure my things when I need to leave them inside of the vehicle. I definitely don't want criminals to get a hold of my guns.
“The universe is hostile. So interpersonal. Devour to survive. So it is. So it’s always been.”


Wag2323
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:04 am
Location: Conroe

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#29

Post by Wag2323 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:39 pm

On thing I would like to add about your gas station situation. I understand that we can't control who goes to a place of business at any time but if it's a bad area and you have a choice should avoid these places of business.

Legally carrying or not it's better to just avoid situations you feel might require a gun for protection.

Particularly gas stations don't wait for your tank to be empty and locations to fill up limited.

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Carry rules for non CHL citizens

#30

Post by Flightmare » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Winston wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 pm
apostate wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:03 pm
If you're worried about getting into trouble obeying the law, imagine the trouble you could get into breaking it.

Remember that UCW upgrades to a felony on TABC licensed premises like a convenience store that sells beer.
Yep! I've never brought my gun inside of any store whether it was legal or not. Especially a gas station or a place that sells alcohol because I know that's illegal with the 30.06 and 30.07 signs. But I did make this post because going to gas stations seems to be one of the worst places you can be sometimes. A lot worse than just grocery shopping. I literally never feel the need to be armed while grocery shopping or going to most other stores. Gas stations are different for some reason. I'm sure a lot of people feel they need to be armed while pumping gas. Do most of you CHL holders just use a debit or credit card to fill up gas since you can't go into the gas station armed either? That would literally have to be a pain in the butt to remove your gun from it's holster every time you needed to go inside of a gas station. Then put it back in while filling up. I'm probably just going to use my card to fill up gas from now on and avoid going inside altogether. And since my gun will be left inside of my vehicle I'll at least be able to get to it if needed. That will be harder if I'm inside the store and something happens. I'll just get my drinks and snacks at a local grocery store from now on since it's a lot safer.
Most of the gas stations I've gone to are NOT posted 30.06 or 30.07. They do frequently have the TABC blue sign that prohibits unlicensed carry, but that does not apply to me as a LTC holder. Those same blue TABC signs are often on grocery store doors (including Walmart). With a license, you are perfectly legal to walk right past them.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”