Medications and CHL question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 5

Medications and CHL question

Post by mupepe »

I currently have a valid CHL for another 3 years before renewal.

My job is getting stressful. The anxiety is keeping me from sleeping and really starting to get to me.

My doctor suggested Xanax. I told him no for now because I don’t know if that would disqualify me being prescribed Xanax. It’s not depression or anything. Simply anxiety. Come renewal time will I be get denied if I go on it?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Medications and CHL question

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Regardless of the affect on your CHL/LTC, I can tell you that getting on xanax can very well be the single biggest regret of your life. From personal experience.

Once on xanax for an extended period, you will be addicted to it. So addicted that people can die from the withdrawals.

couzin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by couzin »

Maybe try Lorazepam? Don't have to take it daily just when the anxiety level goes high. Less chance of addiction and withdrawal.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Thank you both. Does the lorazepam disqualify you?

Topic author
mupepe

Post by mupepe »

Shooting and RC airplanes used to be my coping mechanism but making it out to the range is cut down from twice a week to now once every couple of weeks at best not to mention finding the team to actually make my reloads. The new restrictions on RC planes destroyed my ability to fly in the unincorporated areas around my house so I’d have to drive miles to find a spot to fly waiting in waiting in line and getting maybe 10-15 minutes of flying times over hours.

The stress is so bad I just want to come home and sleep, wake up a couple of hours later and get back on my laptop to keep working.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

(e) The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subsection (d)(1):
(1) involuntary psychiatric hospitalization;
(2) psychiatric hospitalization;
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance; or
(5) diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition consisting of or relating to:
(A) schizophrenia or delusional disorder;
(B) bipolar disorder;
(C) chronic dementia, whether caused by illness, brain defect, or brain injury;
(D) dissociative identity disorder;
(E) intermittent explosive disorder; or
(F) antisocial personality disorder.
I've gone through this a couple of times. I hope I'm not missing the word "anxiety."

I don't think either of those medications, being prescribed for anxiety, would disqualify you or anyone else without a diagnosis of one of the above conditions.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

couzin

Post by couzin »

I think (think because it has been a while since I have read the entire rule) that the license disqualification is if there is a "chemical dependency" (illegal drugs or substances) rather than a legally prescribed compound such as an anxiety medication. As long as one has not been committed for serious mental issues or taking medications that impair judgement, I would think there is any reason to disqualify anyone. Maybe someone else on here has the definitive answer.

couzin

Post by couzin »

And there it is!!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

couzin wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:38 pm I think (think because it has been a while since I have read the entire rule) that the license disqualification is if there is a "chemical dependency" (illegal drugs or substances) rather than a legally prescribed compound such as an anxiety medication. As long as one has not been committed for serious mental issues or taking medications that impair judgement, I would think there is any reason to disqualify anyone. Maybe someone else on here has the definitive answer.
That sounds a little like questions 11.e. and 11.f. on the 4473 form.

However, in the 2017-2018 LTC-16, it lists chemically dependent as follows:
GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS.
In this subchapter:
(1) “Approved online course provider” means a person who is certified by the department to offer in an online format the classroom instruction part of the handgun proficiency course and to administer the associated written exam.
(2) “Chemically dependent person” means a person who frequently or repeatedly becomes intoxicated by excessive indulgence in alcohol or uses controlled substances or dangerous drugs so as to acquire a fixed habit and an involuntary tendency to become intoxicated or use those substances as often as the opportunity is presented.
I'm not sure being prescribed either of these for stress at work or anxiety meets this definition.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ELB

Post by ELB »

I don’t know how this would affect your LTC and I am not a doctor so I’m not gonna give you medical advice, but:

I have seen the pluses and minuses of a family member taking benzodiazepine for anxiety, and I advise you to really go over your problems and your treatment pros and especially cons in detail with your doctor - and maybe more than one doc - before you start on any of them.

Having seen one case very close up, I would do anything in my power to find another way of dealing with job stress and anxiety before I would start taking any benzodiazepines (or any other drug) based treatment. Meditation, prayer, therapy, change jobs, whatever I could manage.
USAF 1982-2005

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ELB wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:50 pm I don’t know how this would affect your LTC and I am not a doctor so I’m not gonna give you medical advice, but:

I have seen the pluses and minuses of a family member taking benzodiazepine for anxiety, and I advise you to really go over your problems and your treatment pros and especially cons in detail with your doctor - and maybe more than one doc - before you start on any of them.

Having seen one case very close up, I would do anything in my power to find another way of dealing with job stress and anxiety before I would start taking any benzodiazepines (or any other drug) based treatment. Meditation, prayer, therapy, change jobs, whatever I could manage.
:iagree:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Be ver careful with benzodiazepines. We have a late 60 s cousin who was prescribed them after a close Sisters death. It took inpatient rehab to begin to cure her addiction. She is a salt of the earth farmer who has never used any type of drug ( including alcohol). It has taken a good year with Doctors supervision to kick the drug.

rotor

Post by rotor »

mupepe wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm I currently have a valid CHL for another 3 years before renewal.

My job is getting stressful. The anxiety is keeping me from sleeping and really starting to get to me.

My doctor suggested Xanax. I told him no for now because I don’t know if that would disqualify me being prescribed Xanax. It’s not depression or anything. Simply anxiety. Come renewal time will I be get denied if I go on it?
Time for a new doctor. Xanax is a very BAD drug. I know of no anti-anxiety drugs that are not addicting. Change jobs. These drugs will ruin your life.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rotor wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:49 pm
mupepe wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:38 pm I currently have a valid CHL for another 3 years before renewal.

Time for a new doctor. Xanax is a very BAD drug. I know of no anti-anxiety drugs that are not addicting. Change jobs. These drugs will ruin your life.
THC (weed) is supposed to be Non-Habit forming, at least physically. but that cause LTC licensing issues.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”