Do you ever open carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do you ever open carry?

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I OC when I leave my office for lunch, or if I need to exit the vehicle while going to or from my house. Reason being that I usually wear a tucked in dress shirt at work. Today I am wearing a sweater, so I'll CC when I pump gas on the drive home, I guess. On the weekends, I'm usually wearing a T-shirt, so CC is the norm. Note that the bottom of my holster is usually visible when I "CC".

Add me to the list of those who have had no issues. Most people don't seem to notice, and those who do usually ask what gun I'm carrying or ask where I got my holster.

I did choose to go into a 30.06 / 30.07 posted location once back before the VESP exception was passed (there were some extenuating circumstances). I made sure to OC my empty holster in that store.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

When Open Carry first went into effect, I had lost a lot of weight, and I would occasionally wear my shirt tucked in while open-carrying. About half the time, I OC’d, and about half the time not. Whether or not I did depended in some part on where I was going and why. For instance, my church is posted 30.07, so I don’t OC there.

But about a year and a half ago, I suffered an injury which really set back my activity level, and my weight went up. Purely out of vanity, I wear my shirts untucked, which necessarily means that my firearm is concealed.

For me, open carry is largely a matter of convenience rather than a preference of one way of carrying over another. It’s good to know that I am not at risk if I expose my gun while removing a jacket, or if it just gets too hot and I remove my cover garment....whatever. Also, OC makes sense to me while hunting ... but I haven’t had that opportunity in a while.

But I’m back on the weight loss train now - having dropped 15 lbs in the past 6 weeks. When I’m down enough that I don’t look like a fat slob with my shirts tucked in, maybe I’ll OC more then.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoffeeNut »

I do occasionally and it's almost always when I decide to carry my 1911 since I've found no good way to conceal it comfortably. I still don't OC in San Antonio as there is a much higher likelihood of me running into someone that is vehemently against guns that has the time to ruin my day.

The few times a year I OC no one really notices and no one cares which is more than fine with me.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

KLB

Post by KLB »

CoffeeNut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 pm I still don't OC in San Antonio as there is a much higher likelihood of me running into someone that is vehemently against guns that has the time to ruin my day.
Interesting point. I live in San Antonio, and I've never open carried, though I concealed carry most of the time. I've seen someone open carry only once, and that was at a GOP precinct chair meeting.

CoffeeNut

Post by CoffeeNut »

KLB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:49 pm
CoffeeNut wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:43 pm I still don't OC in San Antonio as there is a much higher likelihood of me running into someone that is vehemently against guns that has the time to ruin my day.
Interesting point. I live in San Antonio, and I've never open carried, though I concealed carry most of the time. I've seen someone open carry only once, and that was at a GOP precinct chair meeting.
I've seen a couple OC in San Antonio; including one that was leaving an un-posted Whataburger, and they weren't being harassed but it's just a little outside my comfort zone. 2 million people in a city that likes to vote Democrat means I'm much more likely to run into an anti-gun person there than Comfort or Bandera.

I'd OC at the Alamo and that's about it.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Jusme wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:00 am I OC the majority of time. I CC when at church,or if I have to enter a 30.07 posted location. In the winter, my jacket covers my gun so I guess that would be CC, but once inside I remove my coat. I have had several people thank me for carrying, one clerk at a Home Depot said it made her feel safer knowing people carried in her store. I would say 90-95% of the people never notice. But I don't wear clothes, that draw a lot of attention. To each their own, to me it's more important, that you carry, rather than the method. JMHO
I guess I am different, when I don't wear clothes it seems to draw a lot of attention. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

On my work days, where I'm not supposed to carry, I CC 2 handguns and the boss has never "made" me. Haha.
I CC when at church, which is the day I carry 3 handguns on me, since the sport/suit jacket gives concealment to the hip holster, and the jacket inside breast pocket is where my LCR rides. Only about 3 church friends know that I'm strapped, and that's the number I'd like to keep it at.

When I have a day off, though, I OC everywhere. Most people don't even notice, I've had a few positive comments, and a few comical reactions.

I also openly carry a Smith and Wesson HRT (Hostage Rescue Team) fixed blade dagger on my left hip.
The other day a customer surprised me by asking, out of the blue, "Is that a Smith and Wesson?".

I said yes, it's an HRT. He told me that he carried the same knife when he was overseas. I thought it was awesome that he nailed the brand right off, and he used the same knife when he was in much more danger than my stateside self.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

DynamicDan

Post by DynamicDan »

I'm cool with both

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I have one holster that is suitable for Open Carry. It takes a big old Beretta P92 I don't pack it much. My EDC is My little Beretta PX4 SC. I carry it IWB wrapped in a inexpensive DeSantis nylon Taco. I've been carrying the same package long before open carry became law. It works and I've seen no reason to change. Some day I might buy another holster, but I'm not looking that hard.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Sorry, I cannot conceal a 2011 with 6" slide.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman »

PBR wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm I still conceal but just makes it so nice no worry of if it gets shown or seen. I'm a big guy and that was always a worry or hassle to deal with.
:iagree: :txflag:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Beiruty wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:49 am Sorry, I cannot conceal a 2011 with 6" slide.
2011's are sexy, sexy guns. Why would you WANT to?! :evil2:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

longtooth wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 pm You will get several that say they conceal so they have a tactical advantage of surprise. :banghead:
Surprise has never been considered a defensive strategy. If you have to SURPRISE someone they already have you covered w/ a deadly weapon. :fire
Surprise is offensive. Surprise the enemy in ambush. Surprise them with first assault. Surprise is offensive.
Open Carry is a deterrent to any crime of opportunity.
I am a retired Instructor. Before Open Carry I taught and still do that any evident means of self defense is a deterrent to crime. I never had any LEO to disagree with that. Why anyone wants to hide their evident means of personal defense so after a gun or knife is pointed at you and ordered to "gimme your keys and wallet" then you can SURPRISE them with your gun and shoot them is beyond my reasoning. :banghead: :banghead:
You will still get those who wills say All of the above may be true but they still want the element of surprise for defense. Again beyond my reasoning. Just say I am not really comfortable w/ OC.
Had my say one more time I wont argue it w/ anyone.
This fine gentleman saved me a bunch of typing by expressing, more eloquently than I would probably manage, my feelings on the subject.

I've been open carrying the majority of the time since about spring of 2016. I've had a lot of good interactions and conversations, and nothing particularly negative. It has acted as a deterrent to criminals a couple times that I know of. I am comfortable carrying openly most of the time, and I view it as an opportunity to be a good ambassador for gun rights in a largely liberal area. It is the only way that we are going to normalize the carrying of guns and change public perception of those that carry. Being friendly and polite while carrying concealed just can't accomplish that. Still, some people are not comfortable carrying openly, and that's okay.

Another fellow on these boards often says something quite wise which I have committed to memory and have said many times in person:
oljames3 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:50 pm We must each do our own risk analysis. Hardly anyone knows my limitations and capabilities. What works for others may or may not work for me. As with most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to us.
I think that sums up in the best way possible the decision of how to carry, or even whether to carry. It's a personal choice. I can't choose for you, and you can't choose for me. We can share our personal perspectives, but we all must decide for ourselves.

Hope this helps.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

Thank you LucasMcCain. I :tiphat: to you.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”